More souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than for any other reason
(02-21-2010, 10:03 PM)Satori Wrote: I agree with you. To clarify, my point was that although people had the same temptations and weaknesses then, at least they had standards. They knew they were doing wrong, and probably more of them at least tried to "fix" what they'd done afterwards, whether by getting married, giving the baby up for adoption, or just keeping their mouths shut. Now we have women boasting to strangers than they had abortions -- anyone remember the "I had an abortion" ad taken out in the paper a few years back, and other such shameless things?

Also there was no casual acceptance of perversions then, from what I understand.

We're in complete agreement on the first point.  (I like when that happens!)

I also agree that there wasn't a casual acceptance of perversion.  But I'd bet my incisors that perversion was present nonetheless.  Perversion, like premaritals, wasn't something newly discovered during the Johnson Administration. :)
(02-21-2010, 10:11 PM)BrendanD Wrote:
(02-21-2010, 10:03 PM)Satori Wrote: I agree with you. To clarify, my point was that although people had the same temptations and weaknesses then, at least they had standards. They knew they were doing wrong, and probably more of them at least tried to "fix" what they'd done afterwards, whether by getting married, giving the baby up for adoption, or just keeping their mouths shut. Now we have women boasting to strangers than they had abortions -- anyone remember the "I had an abortion" ad taken out in the paper a few years back, and other such shameless things?

Also there was no casual acceptance of perversions then, from what I understand.

We're in complete agreement on the first point.  (I like when that happens!)

I also agree that there wasn't a casual acceptance of perversion.  But I'd bet my incisors that perversion was present nonetheless.  Perversion, like premaritals, wasn't something newly discovered during the Johnson Administration. :)

I've read too many of the Decadent authors to disagree with you there. However, it wasn't accepted, and my understanding is that such things were generally kept under wraps. I do believe, furthermore, that perversion was not as common as it is today. Why? Simple satiety. I blame the Pill.
(02-21-2010, 10:16 PM)Satori Wrote: I've read too many of the Decadent authors to disagree with you there. However, it wasn't accepted, and my understanding is that such things were generally kept under wraps. I do believe, furthermore, that perversion was not as common as it is today. Why? Simple satiety. I blame the Pill.

Chalk it up to Original Sin
Thank you Walty for responding! I understand now what you meant. I really appreaciate it. :)
(02-20-2010, 03:03 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: I think it depends on the generation in which you're living.  I tend to think Satan changes his tactics every once in a while.  We moderns tend to think of "lust" and the like as the worst sins.  However, the medievals would more often point to something like "pride" to be the worst.   

You have no idea how right you are. Not only by time, but also by locale, culture, etc. I've seen some stuff in French phonebooks that would make my grandmother faint.

I would still agree with pride being the capital sin; evil, stripped down, is nothing so much as selfishness in its purest form; you put yourself before all others, regardless of the type of sin/crime being committed. Pride is the beginning of that selfishness.
Pls let me know what you found so offending in  the French phonebooks.
How many of you considered to this topic, that the majority of people die in the age, where the sexuality is rapidly loosing its importance?
But even still, those sins of their youth don't just "disappear." They must be confessed and truly repented. That is unlikely by the point you mention.
Brendan D within one city block of my house was a Catholic reform school, where young pregnant girls went to have their babies. My family had a restaurant nearby and the Principal had lunch there often. When I was eighteen I was the life guard for a Government program that used the pool there, for the  poor kids from the neighborhood. From direct experience I'd guess that there were 10-20 girls in there. In my Catholic Grammar School no one became pregnant. In the local Catholic High School in the next Parish over no one got pregnant. The pill was illegal until 1965 and I was a junior at that time.
From a Chicago history site I have found out that up to that point Chicagoans of African descent had less bastards than Chicagoans of European descent. Of my close pals from childhood, and there was twelve of us, only one of us who married a Protestant had sex before marriage in the 70's..Now contrary to popular horsefeathers the sexual revolution started in the 70's not the 60's. Some of the first skirmishes were in the late sixties but they involved the Protestants and Jews, not Catholics. ( Portnoy's complaint ) It was a reaction to the War in VietNam. The girls could not burn their SS cards so the lefties got them to burn their bras, and embrace their emancipation through the liberating effects of abortion in 1973. This is where the femme-nazis come from and the full on onslaught of the demonic. And like the old American Television Show sponsored by Skippy peanut Butter... You Are There.
tim

Oh and as for a little help on sins against God's name in vain, this is something I have started to do after a terrible incident of that particular sin. In that confession the Priest gave me a penance of the Litany of the Sacred Heart. While praying my penance a thought occurred to me concerning a preventative. What I did was is this, I add the Divine praises.after the beginning of the Litany of the Saints up to Holy Mary pray for us, and I recite it every morning, so far I have not repeated that sin. and it is about a year.
tim
If I go to hell, it will be for sins of the flesh no doubt.  Being married helps some, but marriage isnt a cure for lack of self control.  Also. when I'm deployed for 6-9 months, its hard not to fall back into those old sins.  When I am away from home, or my wife is visiting family, or when she's pregnant and her libido has disapeared and the thought of sex disgusts her, I pray more, fast more, do penance more.  The 3 hail mary devotion helps me, and when I'm deployed I kneel on my knuckles while I do it.  There is no magic cure, for some men it is a real battle.