Diocese of Scranton
Hello fellow Fisheaters!

I am in the Scranton Diocese, a Diocese unfriendly to Tradition and currently without a Bishop. I am planning to write a letter to the Delegate to Cardinal Rigali concerning troubling recent developments concerning the Extraordinary Form in the Diocese. I plan to copy Cardinal Rigali and the Papal Nuncio.

I belong to the St John Neumann Latin Mass Society .Up until last year we had 4 or 5 locations regularly offering the Old Mass. There was only one location as of February 1.

We had a Mass arranged between certain pastors and parishes for the use of their churches. Then the Diocese stepped in, cancelled our plans, told the priests involved to stand down, and arranged a Mass on their own.

We feel the Diocese is interfering in the implementation of Sumorrum Pontificum, and we want to have a Old Mass in my area, so my letter will ask the Diocese to officially put on paper their policy for the EF so that we may know it for the future. Of course, we know what their policy ought to be, but it isn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supporting documentation for my letter? What do you think of our situation? Fun times, let me tell ya!

Thanks and God Bless
(02-21-2010, 09:39 PM)slewi Wrote: Hello fellow Fisheaters!

I am in the Scranton Diocese, a Diocese unfriendly to Tradition and currently without a Bishop. I am planning to write a letter to the Delegate to Cardinal Rigali concerning troubling recent developments concerning the Extraordinary Form in the Diocese. I plan to copy Cardinal Rigali and the Papal Nuncio.

I belong to the St John Neumann Latin Mass Society .Up until last year we had 4 or 5 locations regularly offering the Old Mass. There was only one location as of February 1.

We had a Mass arranged between certain pastors and parishes for the use of their churches. Then the Diocese stepped in, cancelled our plans, told the priests involved to stand down, and arranged a Mass on their own.

We feel the Diocese is interfering in the implementation of Sumorrum Pontificum, and we want to have a Old Mass in my area, so my letter will ask the Diocese to officially put on paper their policy for the EF so that we may know it for the future. Of course, we know what their policy ought to be, but it isn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supporting documentation for my letter? What do you think of our situation? Fun times, let me tell ya!

Thanks and God Bless

That is a shame. I just moved from that diocese (two weeks ago). The previous bishop was very friendly to tradition, however, the latest developments from Rome allow any Latin rite priest to say the TLM or NO at his own discretion at any time (so, Father Ted could decide to say the TLM during his normal mass schedule and he is free to do that). I'm sure some will post more direct citations for that claim.
Yes, you are right. The Mass the Diocese "allowed" us to have.

Starting a chapter of Una Voce was something a very Traditional priest and I had talked about. I would like to do that. What do you think?

(02-21-2010, 11:27 PM)GeorgeT Wrote:I'm part of that society, too. We have the Mass in Hazleton now, right? I hope they didn't stop that. The first one was today. Una Voce has tips on contacting bishops and going down the chain of command on their website. You can google them, or i'll try to find them if I have some time. Una Voce is pretty experienced at this kind of stuff.
Well, I think the benefit would be that Una Voce has an international presence and is well known. That might be enough to let the Diocese know they aren't dealing with a group of uneducated pierogi eaters.

(02-22-2010, 12:17 AM)GeorgeT Wrote:I suggested it at the first meeting when we were coming up with a name. We'd still be the same group, right? I think it's a good idea. In the areas I know that have big TLM communities Una Voce is involved. I'm not entirely sure what the benefit would be, though. I'm sure there is one.
Hello,

I am sadly not very knowlegeable on The Traditional Mass and have belonged to a Byzantine Catholic Church for serveral years now.  However, my son attends St. Gregory's Academy in Moscow and I know that people from the community come and attend the Masses at their Chapel.  Would that be a viable option for you?

On a separate note, I have been here in Iraq for 8 months now.  Please keep the Catholics and their Churches in Northern Iraq in your prayers.  They are being EXTREMELY persecuted.

I would offer a little advise; get as many signitures on your letter as possible from your Society. Send a copy to the Bishop, with the original copy to Ecclesia Dei Commission. Keep all originals in your files. If you receive no answer within 60 days repeat the process and make reference in your cover letter as to which petition number you are sending. Be polite but firm in your requests.

God Bless you and your "troops"
(02-21-2010, 09:44 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: That is a shame. I just moved from that diocese (two weeks ago). The previous bishop was very friendly to tradition, however, the latest developments from Rome allow any Latin rite priest to say the TLM or NO at his own discretion at any time (so, Father Ted could decide to say the TLM during his normal mass schedule and he is free to do that). I'm sure some will post more direct citations for that claim.

(02-22-2010, 01:36 AM)Clang46 Wrote: Hello,

I am sadly not very knowlegeable on The Traditional Mass and have belonged to a Byzantine Catholic Church for serveral years now.  However, my son attends St. Gregory's Academy in Moscow and I know that people from the community come and attend the Masses at their Chapel.  Would that be a viable option for you?

There is also St. Michaels in West Side (on Jackson Street) run by the FSSP.
Oh yes, we're very familiar with Saint Michaels. We are trying to get back the Mass we lost in our town in June of 09. Most of the folks who were set adrift by the Diocese who attended that Mass are elderly and can not travel.

(02-22-2010, 08:07 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(02-22-2010, 01:36 AM)Clang46 Wrote: Hello,

There is also St. Michaels in West Side (on Jackson Street) run by the FSSP.