Poll: How do you prefer your Grits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Grits Thread
This morning I'm enjoying a nice warm bowl of grits for breakfast and it occured to me that I'd love to know how people prefer to eat their grits. :) Grits would seem like a good breakfast choice during Lent also as they're warm, tasty, and meatless on their own.

I personally enjoy savory grits with lots of butter, a dash of salt, and some ground black pepper. Usually, I serve them alongside a poached egg or some turkey bacon.
Sometimes I add cheddar cheese if I'm feeling fancy. lol
Does anyone have any special grit recipes or methods that just "make them"? :)
I have never had grits, but I'd like to try it, I love hot breakfast cereal.  Is it similar to cream of wheat?
Grits + honey

The best.

Grits do not seem that popular up here though for some reason.
(02-22-2010, 11:32 AM)HotRod Wrote: I have never had grits, but I'd like to try it, I love hot breakfast cereal.  Is it similar to cream of wheat?

Not really.

It is very good though. They are good alone (water), but one can add many things to them. I like honey, but I think maple syrup, butter and other things are popular and good on them for those who like such things. I usually eat them plain.
I think they are pretty similar to Cream of Wheat, just made from corn and a little more coarse in texture. I actually like them better! :)

Honey! Now that's one I haven't heard before. I may have to put the savory aside and try that one morning.
cheddar cheese + black pepper
Sweet.  Sometimes with maple syrup, and sometimes with a bit of fruit jelly/jam - always with butter.  If only margarine's available, eat elsewhere.
That's how I eat cream of wheat.

I prefer grits savory and cream of wheat sweet as a rule.

Cream of wheat is meant to be eaten with enough butter to turn it yellow and several spoonfuls of sugar.  When I was in the hospital, and they give you a little menu to pick what you'd like to eat for the following day, cream of wheat was an option for breakfast.  So I checked that and I made sure I checked "butter" too.  What did I get?  1 pat of butter!  So the next day I checked "butter" and next to it, I wrote "4 PLEASE!"

I could tell my nurses were appalled.  Though, I did get 4 pats of butter along with a couple dirty looks.
Though I believe I would have fought for the South, being from the woods of Wisconsin I'm a cultural Yankee through and through.  I've heard all about these "grits" but I honestly have never had them nor do I even have any idea what they are.  I assume it's something with carbs but I don't know whether it's made from corn, wheat, or potatoes to tell you the truth. 

I can say this.  I've had cornbread a few times in my life and man...  that's some good stuff.
Have you never seen My Cousin Vinny?  It is a funny movie and has all the grit education you could need!  If I was at home I'd link a youtube clip of it.

Quote:Oh, oh, oh, you tesitfied earlier that you saw the boys go into the store, and you had just begun to cook your breakfast and you were just getting ready to eat when you heard the shot.
Mr. Tipton: That's right.
Vinny Gambini: So obviously it takes you 5 minutes to cook your breakfast.
Mr. Tipton: That's right.
Vinny Gambini: That's right, so you knew that. You remember what you had?
Mr. Tipton: Eggs and grits.
Vinny Gambini: Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?
Mr. Tipton: Just regular I guess.
Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?
Mr. Tipton: No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.
Vinny Gambini: So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you 5 minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit eating world 20 minutes?
Mr. Tipton: I don't know, I'm a fast cook I guess.
Vinny Gambini: I'm sorry I was all the way over here I couldn't hear you did you say you were a fast cook, that's it?
Mr. Tipton: Yeah.
Vinny Gambini: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than anywhere else on the face of the earth?
Mr. Tipton: I don't know.
Vinny Gambini: Well, I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?