Poll: How do you prefer your Grits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Grits Thread
(02-22-2010, 02:41 PM)Paloma Wrote: That's how I eat cream of wheat.

I prefer grits savory and cream of wheat sweet as a rule.

Cream of wheat is meant to be eaten with enough butter to turn it yellow and several spoonfuls of sugar.  When I was in the hospital, and they give you a little menu to pick what you'd like to eat for the following day, cream of wheat was an option for breakfast.  So I checked that and I made sure I checked "butter" too.  What did I get?  1 pat of butter!  So the next day I checked "butter" and next to it, I wrote "4 PLEASE!"

I could tell my nurses were appalled.  Though, I did get 4 pats of butter along with a couple dirty looks.

You should see the looks I usually get when I put that stuff on my grits, although I sometimes see others trying it - usually out of the corner of my eye (he, he).

Walty, it's made from coarsely-ground hominy-that's corn, for you Yanks- so yes, it is a carb.
(02-22-2010, 02:58 PM)Walty Wrote: Though I believe I would have fought for the South, being from the woods of Wisconsin I'm a cultural Yankee through and through.  I've heard all about these "grits" but I honestly have never had them nor do I even have any idea what they are.  I assume it's something with carbs but I don't know whether it's made from corn, wheat, or potatoes to tell you the truth. 

I can say this.  I've had cornbread a few times in my life and man...  that's some good stuff.

You're not alone on this one, Walty.  I had grits once when I was visiting friends in Tennessee.  Vilest stuff ever invented.  My friend poured what seemed to me a greasy white gravy all over them.  Yuck.  I'll stick with my clam chowder and baked beans here in Boston.
(02-22-2010, 03:11 PM)HotRod Wrote: Have you never seen My Cousin Vinny?  It is a funny movie and has all the grit education you could need!  If I was at home I'd link a youtube clip of it.

YES! That's where I got the option in the poll that said "What's a grit?". Their faces when sitting in that diner staring at that lovely pile of grits and butter were just priceless. My husband and I love that movie.  :laughing:
I've never had them, but am willing to try them.  Vox likes them.

The closest (and admittedly far removed) I ever came was polenta.  One time Vox "tricked" me into eating polenta - basically corn mush.  Southern Italians don't eat it and call northerners mangiapolenta (polenta-eaters) as an insult. She put out dinner, I saw it and  I knew what it was, so I took a bite and pretended it burned my insides like fire.  I asked her if she put a curse on my plate, accused her of being a Northern Strega (witch), etc.  :laughing:

You can make it similar to grits - either savory or sweet.  She made it savory with a red sauce the time I had it.  It was OK.  If grits taste similar, I suppose I would like them savory better.
(02-22-2010, 03:17 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(02-22-2010, 03:11 PM)HotRod Wrote: Have you never seen My Cousin Vinny?  It is a funny movie and has all the grit education you could need!  If I was at home I'd link a youtube clip of it.

YES! That's where I got the option in the poll that said "What's a grit?". Their faces when sitting in that diner staring at that lovely pile of grits and butter were just priceless. My husband and I love that movie.  :laughing:

Making grits with the audio from the movie:

Grits are like an entire food group in Louisiana.  We have them very often at home and my university serves them every morning in the cafeteria.

You Yanks may think of it as "porridge" or gruel but the stuff's actually quite good.
Just not even food, that is what that is.  Don't even compare it to polenta, or Cream o' Wheat, or anything.....it's just dressed up wallpaper paste.

And trust me, I'm fasting.  Even brussels sprouts sound good right now.  ;D
(02-22-2010, 08:09 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Just not even food, that is what that is.  Don't even compare it to polenta, or Cream o' Wheat, or anything.....it's just dressed up wallpaper paste.

You haven't had 'em done right, then!

I like to mix mine with an egg, which makes them thick and creamy, and then I mix in shredded cheese, chopped onion, chopped bell peppers if I have 'em, and a dash of hot sauce.
(02-22-2010, 11:30 AM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: This morning I'm enjoying a nice warm bowl of grits for breakfast and it occured to me that I'd love to know how people prefer to eat their grits. :) Grits would seem like a good breakfast choice during Lent also as they're warm, tasty, and meatless on their own.

I personally enjoy savory grits with lots of butter, a dash of salt, and some ground black pepper. Usually, I serve them alongside a poached egg or some turkey bacon.
Sometimes I add cheddar cheese if I'm feeling fancy. lol
Does anyone have any special grit recipes or methods that just "make them"? :)

Try a shrimp and grits recipe--I'm from Texas, but my daddy's family was from Charleston, SC. Yum! Delicious.

I love grits in the morning with my bacon (won't touch eggs.) I used to eat turkey bacon, too, until a doctor told me it was actually worse for you than real bacon! Can't stand anything sweet in the morning, but my husband likes sugar in his grits. I like lots of butter, salt, and pepper.

I love, LOVE, [LOVE my grits!
(02-22-2010, 09:59 PM)cathkath Wrote: Can't stand anything sweet in the morning,

I was beginning to think I was the only one!!  :laughing: In fact, when we went into the parish hall after Mass this past Sunday and the boys all got doughnuts, I even told my husband (while NOT eating a doughnut) that I guessed I was the only person on earth who didn't like sweet things right off the bat in the morning.
Sometimes I'll make muffins and can stand those, but I have to have them alongside some sausage or bacon to temper the sweetness.
I would LOVE to try a good Shrimp and Grits recipe! The idea makes my mouth water.  :P