Poll: How do you prefer your Grits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Grits Thread
grits are great.

great gritty grits with lots of grit.

people with lots of grit eats loads of grits.

... but they have to be the real ones, because if it's the instant ones people with grit won't eat them.

gritless people eat fake grits.

... good things come to those who wait.

like grits.

:tiphat:

I can't believe that I lived in Louisiana for 3 years & never tried them!  And no one up here in Michigan has ever even heard of them.  Maybe I'll try them some day.

And "My Cousin Vinny" is one of my all-time favorite movies! :laughing:
[Image: florencegrits.jpg]
When I was little I went through a 1, 2 year phase where I ate them to upset my mother, who was a snob and was afraid people would think we were white trash when they saw them in her shopping cart.  The last time I had them I said, "ewww, why'd I ever like these?"  I don't like polenta either, because they fed us weird polenta casserole twice a week in college...it had chunks, but you never quite figured out what they were.
(02-25-2010, 10:03 AM)Magnificat Wrote: When I was little I went through a 1, 2 year phase where I ate them to upset my mother, who was a snob and was afraid people would think we were white trash when they saw them in her shopping cart.  The last time I had them I said, "ewww, why'd I ever like these?"  I don't like polenta either, because they fed us weird polenta casserole twice a week in college...it had chunks, but you never quite figured out what they were.

You don't like grits? Your people think they're white trash? *Slaps forehead, scandalized*

Oh, well. What can you expect from people who cheer the Yankees in "Gone with the Wind"?
:laughing:
(02-25-2010, 10:59 AM)Satori Wrote:
(02-25-2010, 10:03 AM)Magnificat Wrote: When I was little I went through a 1, 2 year phase where I ate them to upset my mother, who was a snob and was afraid people would think we were white trash when they saw them in her shopping cart.  The last time I had them I said, "ewww, why'd I ever like these?"  I don't like polenta either, because they fed us weird polenta casserole twice a week in college...it had chunks, but you never quite figured out what they were.

You don't like grits? Your people think they're white trash? *Slaps forehead, scandalized*

Oh, well. What can you expect from people who cheer the Yankees in "Gone with the Wind"?

Yankees probably don't eat grits because it's not good with maple syrup or Old Bay seasoning.  :laughing:  Actually, though, this is true:
“To a foreigner a Yankee is an American. To an American a Yankee is a Northerner. To a Northerner a Yankee is a New Englander. To a New Englander a Yankee is a Vermonter. To a Vermonter a Yankee is a person who eats apple pie for breakfast.”

Grits...??  ???
(02-22-2010, 05:09 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I've never had them, but am willing to try them.  Vox likes them.

The closest (and admittedly far removed) I ever came was polenta.  One time Vox "tricked" me into eating polenta - basically corn mush.  Southern Italians don't eat it and call northerners mangiapolenta (polenta-eaters) as an insult. She put out dinner, I saw it and  I knew what it was, so I took a bite and pretended it burned my insides like fire.  I asked her if she put a curse on my plate, accused her of being a Northern Strega (witch), etc.   :laughing:

You can make it similar to grits - either savory or sweet.  She made it savory with a red sauce the time I had it.  It was OK.  If grits taste similar, I suppose I would like them savory better.

You could make some dessert grits, kind of like fried polenta.  Prepare them like normal, but perhaps using a bit less water, then pour it into a greased loaf pan, and let it cool completely.  When pretty solid, turn out from the pan, and slice into about 1/2 in. thick slices, then fry those in butter.  When golden brown, drain, then dust them with sugar and cinnamon, or perhaps some maple syrup.
wow tex, sounds healthy.