Poll: How do you prefer your Grits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Grits Thread
(02-25-2010, 01:56 PM)Texican Wrote: You could make some dessert grits, kind of like fried polenta.  Prepare them like normal, but perhaps using a bit less water, then pour it into a greased loaf pan, and let it cool completely.  When pretty solid, turn out from the pan, and slice into about 1/2 in. thick slices, then fry those in butter.  When golden brown, drain, then dust them with sugar and cinnamon, or perhaps some maple syrup.

This sounds awesome, like all your recipes!  My KIDS might even try this.  When are you coming to my house to cook dinner? :laughing:
Healthy is over-rated.  

Eat rabbit food, exercise daily... die anyway.

;D
(02-25-2010, 02:02 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: This sounds awesome, like all your recipes!  My KIDS might even try this.  When are you coming to my house to cook dinner? :laughing:

I gave cooking up for Lent...

;D
(02-25-2010, 02:04 PM)Texican Wrote: Healthy is over-rated.  

Eat rabbit food, exercise daily... die anyway.

;D

AMEN! ;D
(02-25-2010, 02:05 PM)Texican Wrote:
(02-25-2010, 02:02 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: This sounds awesome, like all your recipes!  My KIDS might even try this.  When are you coming to my house to cook dinner? :laughing:

I gave cooking up for Lent...

;D

You aren't allowed to do that!  I said so!  I need your recipes!
:laughing:
Hope you like French cooking - I was recently given some old books by Jacques Pepin, and picked up a book about French cooking at a local bookstore, so I'll be reading those, 'cause that's all Greek to me.

I can probably share some S. Texas border recipes ( AKA Tex-Mex), although not many of them are very good for Lent.

I'll trade you for more baking recipes, 'cause I don't do a whole lot of baking, except for cornbread and biscuits.  Oh, and brownies, now.  ;D
And I've noticed that Satori hasn't been posting her recipes, like she has in the past...
(02-25-2010, 02:17 PM)Texican Wrote: Hope you like French cooking - I was recently given some old books by Jacques Pepin, and picked up a book about French cooking at a local bookstore, so I'll be reading those, 'cause that's all Greek to me.

I can probably share some S. Texas border recipes ( AKA Tex-Mex), although not many of them are very good for Lent.

I'll trade you for more baking recipes, 'cause I don't do a whole lot of baking, except for cornbread and biscuits.  Oh, and brownies, now.  ;D
And I've noticed that Satori hasn't been posting her recipes, like she has in the past...

That works for me.  I get stuck in cooking ruts with my husband's food allergies and picky kids, so I like seeing new recipes!

I love Tex-Mex!  I spent 4 years in northern Louisiana, not far from Texas (Shreveport,LA) so I got introduced to Tex-Mex while I was there.  Up here in the midwest, people tend to be boring in their cooking!

For a new baking recipe, I will list one of the best Texas sheet cakes I have ever had:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water
1 stick butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
4 TBSP cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk (use real buttermilk, it works better than trying to make your own with vinegar)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla

Sift togethe sugar, flour, soda and cinnamon.  Set aside.  In a saucepan, place water, butter, oil and cocoa.  Bring to a boil, then pour over dry ingredients.  Mix well.  In separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Add to chocolate batter.  Pour into greased & floured 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. 

Start the following icing recipe 5 minutes before the cake is to come out of the oven:

1 Stick butter
4 1/2 TBSP cocoa
5 TBSP milk (adjust as needed)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (I leave these out b/c of allergies :()
Powdered sugar to thicken

Put butter, cocoa and milk in pan.  Boil.  And vanilla, nuts and sugar.  Mix well.  Spread on cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

YUM!

BTW - Can you tell I like chocolate?! ;)
Mmm!  my favorite kind of recipes - with butter AND chocolate.  :eats:
Here's another cake recipe that my family loves, a peanut butter cake:

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1 cup butter
2 unbeaten eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

Mix flour, sugar, soda & salt.  Set aside.  Mix peanut butter, butter & water in saucepan.  Bring to a rapid boil.  Pour peanut butter mixture over dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Add eggs & buttermilk.  Mix well.  Pour into greased & floured sheet cake pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Frost with your favorite icing.

For frosting, I just put a stick of butter (softenend), some peanut butter (whatever looks good) a teaspoon of vanilla.  Beat together, add powdered sugar and adjust by taste - adding whatever is necessary.  Use milk to adjust thickness.

My kids LOVE this! ;D
That peanut butter cake would go great with a chocolate frosting, I think.

this thread is making me hungry...