Poll: How do you prefer your Grits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Grits Thread
GRIT
America's Greatest Family Newspaper

Anyone ever read it? When I was young (late-70's), some kids I knew who lived down the street used to sell it from door to door. I wonder if they earned any free prizes.

[Image: grit.jpg]

The publication is still around, although now it's a glossy magazine with a new emphasis on rural life.
http://www.grit.com/
(02-26-2010, 08:19 PM)Satori Wrote: Here you go, banker brownies:

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream
3/4 cup cocoa powder or 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa or melted baking chocolate into the melted butter. Stir in the sugar, then the yogurt or sour cream. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until very creamy. Stir in the flour, salt, and vanilla. Pour into a greased 9 by 13 pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cut immediately.

:eats:    I'm making these tomorrow, along with SearchingCath's peanut butter cake. 

Quote:Now don't let me ever catch you using a brownie mix again!

Don't worry, I think I've been cured of that.  ;)
Oh, I just saw that I erroneously put in "1/2 tsp. flour." You can scratch that off the ingredients list.

I've never made peanut butter cake, but I did make banana chocolate chip cupcakes with peanut butter icing for a church supper. They disappeared quickly! People love peanut butter desserts -- I think it must remind them of the lunches their mothers packed for them when they were in kindergarten.
I was wondering where that 1/2 tsp of flour would come in--figured it went into the greased pan or something...  glad you caught that.

I love peanut butter; it's what I had for 'breakfast' today--natty peanut butter with a couple of sourdough pretzels.
Maybe I'll make that peanut butter icing, and put some on a couple of the brownies.  Dark chocolate and peanut butter...  doesn't get much better than that!
(02-27-2010, 10:51 PM)Texican Wrote: I was wondering where that 1/2 tsp of flour would come in--figured it went into the greased pan or something...  glad you caught that.

I love peanut butter; it's what I had for 'breakfast' today--natty peanut butter with a couple of sourdough pretzels.
Maybe I'll make that peanut butter icing, and put some on a couple of the brownies.  Dark chocolate and peanut butter...  doesn't get much better than that!

A 1/2 tsp. of flour in the greased pan wouldn't hurt.

Peanut butter icing on the brownies would be good, but coffee icing would be better.

But since we're on peanut butter: What kind do you like? The ordinary Jiffy-type stuff is just brown slime to me; I like the natural ones, especially the crunchy. I like to use it in sauces for Thai-style food, I like to eat it on apple slices, I like to put it on waffles, I like to eat it straight up ...
Creamy Smucker's Natural.  I've got about 3 jars in the pantry, right now.  I don't like to use the crunchy peanut butter.  If I use peanut butter in stuff, like Thai food, I'll simply add some peanuts afterward.

Peanut butter on apples and waffles is great.  I do that, also.  After eating the pretzels and peanut butter this morning, I walked away from the kitchen with a big ol' spoonful of peanut butter in my mouth--spoon and all... 
A spoonful of peanut butter is a fool proof cure for the hiccups. 
Well, Texican, did you make your goodies yesterday?
I had a dream last night I bought some grits.

It was a perfectly normal dream. In the store, looking at a plausible shelf and finding the grits and putting them in my cart.
(03-01-2010, 10:36 AM)Satori Wrote: Well, Texican, did you make your goodies yesterday?

Unfortunately, no...  I wound up doing a bunch of other stuff, that I didn't get to the baking.  I barely had enough time to cook a quick meal.  I was supposed to get a hair cut this weekend, too, and that didn't happen.  Oh well...

I guess it was just a problem with excess...   an excess of bullets in my magazines that needed to be fired; an excess of miles of trails around the lake that needed to be hiked;  and excess of idle weights, and other exercise equipment in my gym that needed to be lifted, or otherwise moved around;  an excess of rubber on my tires that needed to be scrubbed off by driving two-lane mountain roads at (slightly) higher than posted speed limits - maybe it was just a bit of excess test in my system, come to think of it.  Probably from being cooped-up in an office all week.

I'm starving now, so I think I'll work on it tonight, after the biscuits are done.  :eats: