New time limit to modify posts
For the second time in forum history, someone has decided to go through and start deleting (i.e., modifying to nothing) all their posts.  This is ridiculous for three reasons:

1) It makes some of the discussions unreadable.

2) Quoted posts can't be modified.

3) It's probably cached on the internet already.

I don't understand what people hope to accomplish unless it is an act of catharsis or revenge or who knows what.  But, the only tangible net effect is only to derange threads in the forum.

So, now posts are only modifiable for 24 hours.  That's long enough to pull a foot out of one's mouth if one regrets their post.  After 24 hours, if it's really bad, chances are someone has quoted it already, and we're on the spot for what we said anyhow.

If someone has an important reason for wanting stuff deleted, such as they're being stalked or about to get kicked out of seminary or what have you, get a hold of me, we can talk, and I can take care of it in a much faster and more thorough way (as far as the forum goes) anyhow.

But, as always, it's only covering part of one's tracks.  Google, Yahoo, etc., all index the forum.  You post it, it's out there.  Good luck getting Google et al. to delete it from their cache.

Post with prudence.  And realize we all make mistakes and shoot off our mouths or change our minds about something.  It's part of life.
I don't know why everyone does this, but I've removed information that would make me too personally identifiable (if one were mentally cross-indexing threads). I'm not worried about forum posters as much as non-FE-ers.

Well, prudence in posting means avoiding that as well.  But everyone makes mistakes and if there is a problem like that, people can PM or e-mail me and I'll be sure to help.  I've done it before when personal information was quoted and the poster couldn't delete the quoted matter.

(03-01-2010, 04:20 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Well, prudence in posting means avoiding that as well.  But everyone makes mistakes and if there is a problem like that, people can PM or e-mail me and I'll be sure to help.  I've done it before when personal information was quoted and the poster couldn't delete the quoted matter.

Meh, you're expecting too much of prudence IMO. Only hindsight is 20/20, and you know how heated people get, they don't think about information they disclose, especially how they incrementally reveal things over time that can add up into quite a full 'dossier.'

I suspect you'll end up fielding more of these requests than you care to, and just go back to the 'old' way since allowing people to edit posts 'forever' doesn't really hurt anything since you said yourself a)It doesn't remove the text in quote blocks and b)It's still in the Google cache.
(03-01-2010, 04:37 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I suspect you'll end up fielding more of these requests than you care to, and just go back to the 'old' way since allowing people to edit posts 'forever' doesn't really hurt anything since you said yourself a)It doesn't remove the text in quote blocks and b)It's still in the Google cache.

I didn't say it didn't hurt anything.  It does hurt something: it makes holes in the discussions turning them into nonsense, etc. - i.e., it deranges threads on the forum as I said.

What I said was it makes no sense because in the grand scheme of things it is ineffectual.  If someone is being stalked, etc., then I want to help as best as I can even if I can't fix the whole internet for them because it puts them in harm's way through no fault of their own. 

(03-01-2010, 04:55 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I didn't say it didn't hurt anything.  It does hurt something: it makes holes in the discussions turning them into nonsense, etc. - i.e., it deranges threads on the forum as I said.  
???

Let me get this straight: deleting posts is what you think makes our discussions here nonsense and deranged?
(03-01-2010, 04:37 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Meh, you're expecting too much of prudence IMO. Only hindsight is 20/20, and you know how heated people get, they don't think about information they disclose, especially how they incrementally reveal things over time that can add up into quite a full 'dossier.'

This something I just started thinking about recently. It's easy to be careful of individual posts or threads but the regulars here end up revealing quite a bit about themselves over time. I've been surprised to find posts from FE (some of them my own) popping up when searching something on google without any mention of Fisheaters in my search. The other day I looked up "Walty" on google images and the first page already linked to things I'd posted.

As a guy, I'm not worried about stalkers or anything. What I am worried about is prospective employers, particularly in the sort of career and work that I'll be a part of for the rest of my life. I don't regret the time spent or the things I've written or asked about here in any way at all. It's been more than a blessing. It is good to remind yourself from time to time how transparent it all is though. It's a private community but one that meets in a glass house.
(03-01-2010, 04:57 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(03-01-2010, 04:55 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I didn't say it didn't hurt anything.  It does hurt something: it makes holes in the discussions turning them into nonsense, etc. - i.e., it deranges threads on the forum as I said.  
???

Let me get this straight: deleting posts is what you think makes our discussions here nonsense and deranged?

It's one of many things, but one of the few things I have control over.  :laughing:
(03-01-2010, 05:06 AM)Walty Wrote: As a guy, I'm not worried about stalkers or anything. What I am worried about is prospective employers, particularly in the sort of career and work that I'll be a part of for the rest of my life. I don't regret the time spent or the things I've written or asked about here in any way at all. It's been more than a blessing. It is good to remind yourself from time to time how transparent it all is though. It's a private community but one that meets in a glass house.

Yep.  People have lost job opportunities because they have drunken pictures of themselves on Facebook, for example.  It feels cozy here, but we're in the wide-open.  And people can cross-reference posts here with things on other sites, etc.

The internet in general is very bad for privacy.  That's why I warn Seminarians to think real hard about posting here or having a blog.  Even anonymous isn't completely anonymous.  People can figure you out, especially with Google.
(03-01-2010, 05:06 AM)Walty Wrote: The other day I looked up "Walty" on google images and the first page already linked to things I'd posted.

I just googled StrictCatholicGirl and the first link was my birthday page here at FE.

The second was a link to Billy Joel's song "Only the Good Die Young."  :laughing: :-[