Can't Fry an Egg
(03-07-2010, 06:53 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Butter shouldn't hurt, I use that or olive oil.

Anyway, I suspect it's the heat: less is more. And be patient with that.

olive oil.... you know what tastes great?

get 1/4 onion, finely chopped, saute in olive oil til translucent, put in two to four eggs, and make it all scrambly, then salt and pepper.

...man.
(03-07-2010, 07:32 PM)libby Wrote:
(03-07-2010, 06:53 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Butter shouldn't hurt, I use that or olive oil.

Anyway, I suspect it's the heat: less is more. And be patient with that.

olive oil.... you know what tastes great?

get 1/4 onion, finely chopped, saute in olive oil til translucent, put in two to four eggs, and make it all scrambly, then salt and pepper.

...man.

I can't quite make out what this says, it's like, all oriented oddly, like everything's slanted or something.
(03-07-2010, 07:33 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I can't quite make out what this says, it's like, all oriented oddly, like everything's slanted or something.

go eat a Whataburger... I hear that helps.

:tiphat:
(03-07-2010, 07:37 PM)libby Wrote:
(03-07-2010, 07:33 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I can't quite make out what this says, it's like, all oriented oddly, like everything's slanted or something.

go eat a Whataburger... I hear that helps.

:tiphat:

Yeah, it's still doing it, can't quite make it out. You should take a look at your keyboard settings, something's clearly stuck.
so... you admit you ate a Whataburger.

...this is an interesting development.

Does the other thread know?

I can't make them look pretty either, but no one seems to notice theya are all too busy eating them up with toast or tortillas... :eats:
Like Kim said, put oil in the pan, then spoon the oil onto the egg.  My grandma and mom used to do that, when I was a kid, so that's what I learned to do.  You can use butter, but it tends to stick, unless you use clarified butter.  Some non-stick pans still stick, so be careful there.  Sometimes, the cheapest non-stick pans are the best.  I've got a small pan, a ceramic non-stick that came in a set, and it's worthless.  The larger pan works fine, but the small one...
Anyway, use plenty of oil.
Good luck!
Texican! You're alive!

I hate non-stick pans. They smell bad when they're heating up. I'm convinced the texture of my pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches is much less appealing when I use one -- slick and hard rather than crisp and tender. And of course they aren't REALLY non-stick, but if I use oil or butter to combat their stickiness, it gathers itself shyly into several little puddles across the pan rather than forming a nice protective barrier on the entire surface. And then when you try to get the stuck food off, you scratch the pan, making it even harder to use. What genius came up with these items? Give me a good, well-seasoned cast iron skillet any day of the week. You can use them as weapons in a pinch, and they're deliciously unsanitary, just like a real cook!
I love my cast iron pans and dutch ovens!  Having said that, I do have a couple of non-stick pans, but i don't use them if I want to caramelize something - that's what my stainless pans, as well as my cast iron is for. 
My favorite Teflon pan, is a T-fal branded saute pan that I bought at Wally world.  My next favorite, is a Tramontina-branded one;  both work great, but the T-fal is just handier.

Back to the egg, if you use enough oil, you don't have to flip the egg; you just spoon some of the hot oil over the egg white, so that it's all cooked, and the yolk is still nice and liquidy (is that a word?); perfect with some grilled asparagus, or on top of a slice of tomato bread!

...and yes, i'm alive, thank you!  Just been looking for me--the other 3 of me, I didn't know existed.  Apparently, I exist in several places at once...
Uh oh. They cloned you without your knowledge?