Traditional Catholics in SAN FRAN BAY AREA
I'm in the East Bay.
The history of how San Francisco nbecame gay is very interesting. There was a big propaganda thing: "The Summer of Love" and Richard Harris made a pop song about cake melting in MacArthur park while Timothy Leary was promoting LSD as a holy hallucinogen and around the same time the "free speech movement" at Berkeley was fighting for the right to say the "F" word anywhere, anytime....

Now, back then I was aware of the "F" word only as the ultimate profanity, a  big temptation for rebelious youth to shout it....  Not really understanding it.....

And since then I learned something: the "F" word is a variation on an old Anglo saxon god or minor god called "Puck" and also bears some relation to an old Norse deity called "Frigga" and so when they were fighting for the right to say this word, those hippies (Tom Hayden? Some one else, maybe, bearded guy on Merv Griffith wearing tie-dyed shirt comes to mind...)(Lenny Bruce was part of it, too) they were not talking about cusswords, they were fighting for the right to bring back the completely repressed and (as far as we knew) defeated old gods who demanded infant saqcrifice....

We did not connect these dots of the spiritual realm at that time, but 20-20 hjindsight sees through the glass clearly, or at least more clearly if it is the rear view mirror than if it is the windshield....
*sigh*
One time I was lost in San Francisco and driving down Castro Street with an empty gas tank. I pulled over at a station.... saw a couple of dudes in leather vests with no shirt underneath headed my way, like the Village People... and decided to take my chances of finding another gas station somewhere else, and sped right out of there.
littlerose!!!!!!!!!!!!! long time no see
u always have something so interesting to say, should write a book

Love
HK... Sorry you felt threatened. I live literally blocks away from the Castro and experience no problems.

I lived in Sin Francisco for 20 years and that time there was no TLM.  However, I did find a wonderful parish which was about as close to traditional as you could get (no altar girls, no eucharistic monsters, no kiss of peace, etc.). It is Notre Dame des Victoires on Bush Street (cross streets are Stockton and Grant).  At the time I went there, the pastor was a wonderful priest from Paris named Father Etienne Siffert.  I did attend the French mass on Sunday (and yes, even the homily is in French).  However, there were several other masses on Sunday which were in English.  Pere Siffert is semi-retired now, I understand, but he was a wonderful breath of sanity in a city full of parishes where you would see things like one parish where they allowed this guy to prop a huge sign up by the altar that said "GOD IS GAY."  When I complained at that parish, I was given a good lecture on how intolerant I was.  Pere Siffert did not put up with that kind of nonsense for a minute, and that alone made NDV a wonderful parish.  Not only that, it is a charming, wonderful, small parish.  It is actually the French National Parish.  While it is not the TLM, it did get me through a very rough period surrounded by liberals who were seeking to destroy the Faith.  Good luck to you! Pray
(03-08-2010, 12:03 AM)littlerose Wrote: The history of how San Francisco nbecame gay is very interesting. There was a big propaganda thing: "The Summer of Love" and Richard Harris made a pop song about cake melting in MacArthur park while Timothy Leary was promoting LSD as a holy hallucinogen and around the same time the "free speech movement" at Berkeley was fighting for the right to say the "F" word anywhere, anytime....

Now, back then I was aware of the "F" word only as the ultimate profanity, a  big temptation for rebelious youth to shout it....  Not really understanding it.....

And since then I learned something: the "F" word is a variation on an old Anglo saxon god or minor god called "Puck" and also bears some relation to an old Norse deity called "Frigga" and so when they were fighting for the right to say this word, those hippies (Tom Hayden? Some one else, maybe, bearded guy on Merv Griffith wearing tie-dyed shirt comes to mind...)(Lenny Bruce was part of it, too) they were not talking about cusswords, they were fighting for the right to bring back the completely repressed and (as far as we knew) defeated old gods who demanded infant saqcrifice....

We did not connect these dots of the spiritual realm at that time, but 20-20 hjindsight sees through the glass clearly, or at least more clearly if it is the rear view mirror than if it is the windshield....
*sigh*

What you say is true.  And would you believe that, back in the day when I still attended Novus Ordo masses, I actually heard some religious at those parishes saying the "F word?"  Well, I did.  I guess they wanted to fit in with the crowd.  Times changed so quickly after the 60s.  I remember in the early 50s when I was a little kid, I once said "dammit" (I don't know what made me do it; my parents were religious people who did not curse) and my mother marched me off into the bathroom and washed my mouth out with Ivory soap and said "We don't use that kind of language in this house."  I must have been five years old or so.  When I lived in SF I heard the F word all the time, sometimes from children, sometimes from religious (!), sometimes from professionals like lawyers and physicians.  I was so happy to get out of there.  As we drove across the Oakland Bay Bridge, I turned for one last look and said, "I'm never coming back."  And I haven't.  Good luck to any one, especially any trad, who has to live there.
(03-08-2010, 12:08 AM)Bonifatius Wrote: littlerose!!!!!!!!!!!!! long time no see
u always have something so interesting to say, should write a book

Love

Boni, good to see you. I need to tell you something, considering I am almost old enough to be your gramma:  If I age-progress your photo to my age, you look a lot like a very dear old friend who now is a retired detective from a city homicide squad.  He was a good strong Catholic (probably still is, haven't seen him in years) and used to commisserate with the parents during those years...  You have the same head and jaw line....

I brought one of the homosexual pamphlets they were giving the kids to the front desk of that police station and said "look at this!" and tht desk sergeant said "Who's passing this out? We'll arrest him! Did you get a description?" and I said "You'll have to arrest the Superintendent of Schools".....

That squad had all the activist parents and our kids watched  because they knew how bad it was and our kids all grew up hating us because they did not understand the paranoia....
SLCFranciscan:  ND des Victoires is a beautiful parish, although I think they advertise some type of modern music Mass on Sundays.. I have gone there for an horu of adoration/Benediction which they do on Sundays, though.
Which is the parish that had the gay sign, out of curiosity?

As for San Francisco, it is a wonderful city, despite it's problems. I have been many places throughout this world and not many places compare. While indeed it can be difficult to be a Trad Catholic living here, I don't find it anymore difficult (despite the lack of Traditional Mass sites) than a Traddie living anywhere else in this crazy world.

Littlerose: How interesting. Maybe it's the sunglasses which add to the detective look? It's my attempt at trying to mantain a bit of anonymity here, while at the same time trying to show some picture of myself to show i am a real person - wish more here did the same!
Will add you to my rosary. You only need a few friends to break isolation, you don't need the whole city.  I think we can be spiritually more blessed in situations like yours because we are forced to work at it and we appreciate God's Grace more.