best onions for pasta sauce
I want to start making my own pasta sauce. Which are the proper onions to use?
I like chives.  Some people call them green onions but they're really chives.  :tiphat:
The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.
We use purple onions ourselves.
(03-09-2010, 01:48 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.

I agree with Our esteemed Assistant Moderator  :P..Vidalias are great for salads, onion rings, etc..But for sauce..the cheapest yellow you can find are the best..Vidalias are too mild...My suggestion would be to carmelize them in some olive oil before adding them to the sauce..
(03-09-2010, 02:56 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: We use purple onions ourselves.

I like purple onions raw in salads, but I never use them for cooking anymore. They turn a gross mold-blue color after a night in the fridge and look very unappetizing.
(03-09-2010, 10:27 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(03-09-2010, 01:48 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.

I agree with Our esteemed Assistant Moderator  :P..Vidalias are great for salads, onion rings, etc..But for sauce..the cheapest yellow you can find are the best..Vidalias are too mild...My suggestion would be to carmelize them in some olive oil before adding them to the sauce..

A sandwich made of raw vidalia onions is delicious. And I love vidalia onion relish and dressing. They deserve their own thread ...
That vidalia onion relish with the mustard seed is wonderful.

For pasta sauce, it's the yellow onions.  You can use white, but why pay more?  What kind of sauce are you going to make? 
(03-09-2010, 10:45 AM)Magnificat Wrote: That vidalia onion relish with the mustard seed is wonderful.

For pasta sauce, it's the yellow onions.  You can use white, but why pay more?  What kind of sauce are you going to make? 
Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?
(03-09-2010, 08:15 PM)Christopher Wrote: Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

However much tastes good to you.  Get some good anchovies, though--preferably salted.