best onions for pasta sauce
(03-10-2010, 01:31 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Once your palate has been destroyed by years of Chik Fil A and Coco Krispies, one wouldn't expect the understatedness of a chive to be appreciated.  You people disgust me.  :bronxcheer:

DrBombay.

DrBombay, DrBombay, DrBombay.

what exactly do you propose to do with that poor, wan little chive, sitting on the chopping board, quaking at the thought of being thrown into a big pot of wanton putanesca sauce?

all the strong vegetables would laugh that feeble little pretend onion straight into a bag of potato chips. or dip. or a little hors doeuvre.

pale, demure food.

food with an accent that I just can't place.... french? dunno.... swiss?...dunno...

yellow onions, however - like Chik Fil A and cocoa krispies - will never... NEVER cast any doubt on their American authenticity.

No birth certificate problems for these guys.

but chives...?

...maybe that's a Kenyan accent I detect...

huh.

Well, hell yess!!! Lets just throw a bunch o garlic in a pot with sum maters n stuff.  We call it mary-nara sauce here in 'merika.  S really GARLICK sauce with just a hint o maters.  Yee haw.

Deliverance meets the Food Network.  Lovely.  :bronxcheer:
O'garlic?

No, no... putanesca sauce is Italian.

ITALIAN.
(03-10-2010, 07:36 PM)libby Wrote: O'garlic?

No, no... putanesca sauce is Italian.

ITALIAN.

Conan O'Brien would love for you to return his calls.  His comeback show is gonna be huge.  Huge I say.
Chives and scallions are in the same family.  Anyone could've made that mistake.

Most folks call them green onions, but they're really scallions.

Scallions, FTW!!!!!
Scallions, he says...
(03-11-2010, 12:30 AM)Texican Wrote: Scallions, he says...

Yes, he does.  Scallions, the high end leek.  :tiphat:  White onions best used in trailer parks as an apertif mixed with malt liquor and as a compliment to Chef Boy Ardee canned ravioli.
(03-11-2010, 12:29 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Chives and scallions are in the same family.  Anyone could've made that mistake.

Scallions, FTW!!!!!

Not to be confused with shallots.
(03-11-2010, 01:20 AM)piabee Wrote:
(03-11-2010, 12:29 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Chives and scallions are in the same family.  Anyone could've made that mistake.

Scallions, FTW!!!!!

Aren't those mushrooms?  :sneaky:
(03-11-2010, 01:29 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(03-11-2010, 01:20 AM)piabee Wrote:

Scallions, FTW!!!!!

Aren't those mushrooms?   :sneaky:

Nope.

[Image: shallots-2.jpg]