Seal meat to be on menu at Canadian Parliament
Seal meat to be on menu at Canadian Parliament

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's parliamentary restaurant will be serving seal meat on Wednesday in a gesture of defiance aimed at a European Union ban on imports of seal products.

Canada's Conservative government says it will fight the EU ban, which was imposed last July on the grounds that the annual seal hunt off the east coast was cruel and inhumane.

A dish of double-smoked bacon-wrapped seal loin in a port reduction will be on the menu on Wednesday, the office of Senator Celine Hervieux-Payette said on Monday.

"All political parties will have the opportunity to demonstrate to the international community the solidarity of the Canadian Parliament behind those who earn a living from the seal hunt," she said in a statement.

Ottawa says the hunt -- which takes place in March and April -- provides valuable income for Atlantic fishing communities. The seals are either shot or hit over the head with a spiked club called a hakapik.

An aide to Hervieux-Payette said that, depending on supplies, seal meat could be available once a week when in season. (Reporting by David Ljunggren; editing by Rob Wilson)

Copyright 2010 Reuters Limited.
:bronxcheer:

First of all, yuck.  I could not imagine eating seal.  And I'm sure many Canadians feel the same way.

Second - What a shame - killing an animal in order  to make a political point as being the primary reason instead of feeding people.  So much for the "enlightened" Canadian mindset.

(03-09-2010, 01:15 PM)mike6240 Wrote: :bronxcheer:

First of all, yuck.  I could not imagine eating seal.  And I'm sure many Canadians feel the same way.

Second - What a shame - killing an animal in order  to make a political point as being the primary reason instead of feeding people.  So much for the "enlightened" Canadian mindset.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but should point out that a great many people, primarily amongst our native population, depends on the seal hunt for their livelihood.  Although icons such as Paul McCartney even come to Canada to join the anti-seal hunting protests, and although I am in sympathy with them in principle, I still would like to know what the solution is for the native people. In other words, fine, you don't want them to kill the cute and cuddly seals, what do you suggest they do to earn a living?
(03-09-2010, 01:23 PM)fcgv Wrote: In other words, fine, you don't want them to kill the cute and cuddly seals, what do you suggest they do to earn a living?

What everyone else does: move to where the jobs are and learn how to drive a truck or dig a ditch.

(03-09-2010, 01:34 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-09-2010, 01:23 PM)fcgv Wrote: In other words, fine, you don't want them to kill the cute and cuddly seals, what do you suggest they do to earn a living?

What everyone else does: move to where the jobs are and learn how to drive a truck or dig a ditch.
Perhaps, but easier said then done for many people. I don't think it is an easy solution to fix.
No blubber?  What a farce.

Will polar bears be invited to this shindig?

On a more serious note; just how many seal products get imported into the EU?
(03-09-2010, 08:06 PM)Texican Wrote: No blubber?  What a farce.

Will polar bears be invited to this shindig?

On a more serious note; just how many seal products get imported into the EU?
Once a great many, now none. I don't know the exact figures, but i do know that a bulk of the seal products were shipped to European countries. With the ban, the seal companies have faced great hardship.