Vitamin regimen?
Anyone on here take vitamins/herbs, or other supplements?

If so, which?

What are your general opinions on this? (Some are pretty negative towards it, which baffles me, seems it can't hurt).

I take vitamins.  My favorites are Flintstones chewables, especially Dino.
(03-11-2010, 02:10 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Anyone on here take vitamins/herbs, or other supplements?

If so, which?

What are your general opinions on this? (Some are pretty negative towards it, which baffles me, seems it can't hurt).

I have in the past.

The dangers which are prominent:

* Contaminated product
* Inappropriate dosages (for men, DO NOT TAKE IRON!)
* Possible conflicts with specific ingredients...most nutrients should be taken in the proper environment (taking iron alone, for instance, is not that effective)

A gender/age specific multi-vitamin taken with a meal is probably ok (I am not a doctor, so that is not medical advice; just an estimate on the probability) and likely to be beneficial or at least not harmful.

More specific supplements require more knowledge to plan. For instance, one can overdose with disastrous consequences on B6 despite it being a water soluble vitamin (most water soluble vitamins have the excess urinated away), and fat soluble vitamins (E for instance) should be taken with fat and in proper dosages. Some nutrients should be taken together (iron and C, but NOT FOR MEN!) and some are dependent on diet (B6 necessity is dependent on protein consumption, so a person consuming a lot of protein could take more than a person who eats less).

I take a multi formulated for men (no iron) and is 'made out of food' so that it is absorbed better and hard to megadose.

I add to that 4000 IU Vitamin D3 and need to re-find a cheap green tea extract since Trader Joe's discontinued theirs.
Ros, why shouldn't men take iron? What does it do?
(03-11-2010, 02:26 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I take a multi formulated for men (no iron) and is 'made out of food' so that it is absorbed better and hard to megadose.

I add to that 4000 IU Vitamin D3 and need to re-find a cheap green tea extract since Trader Joe's discontinued theirs.

I have a similar regimen.  I take Garden of Life's RAW one for women, and I occasionally take extra vitamin D3.  Sometimes I take a liquid calcium supplement because I don't eat many calcium rich foods.
Oh, that vitamin 'made out of food' is from a company called Garden of Life-- check it out. My wife takes their "RAW Pre-natal"
(03-11-2010, 03:19 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote:
(03-11-2010, 02:26 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I take a multi formulated for men (no iron) and is 'made out of food' so that it is absorbed better and hard to megadose.

I have a similar regimen.  I take Garden of Life's RAW one for women, and I occasionally take extra vitamin D3.  Sometimes I take a liquid calcium supplement because I don't eat many calcium rich foods.

Re: Calcium, have you checked out "Min-Tran"?
(03-11-2010, 02:28 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: Ros, why shouldn't men take iron? What does it do?
Since men don't bleed regularly, too much iron can build up in their system.  Excess iron is not shed, rather it is stored in muscle tissue and if you get too much of it stored, it can mess with the electrical mechanism of muscles including the heart muscle and muscles that line organs.  Our systems are designed to take alot of abuse, as in losing blood, and so modern man conserves iron to his own detriment.  In fact, most men would benefit from regular blood-letting by donating every couple or few months.
(03-11-2010, 03:50 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(03-11-2010, 03:19 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote:

Re: Calcium, have you checked out "Min-Tran"?

Nope... what's that?  I love the liquid supplement I take, I should take it more often but I forget.