Women who took the birth control pill starting in the late 1960s lived longer
I thought there was alot of double speak in this article.  It looks like they "worked" the numbers to come up with this.
For example this cryptic statement:
Quote:Slightly higher death rates were found among women under 30 on the pill, but that began to be reversed by age 50.
This tells me that the pill is actually more deadly for young women, unless they survive it's effects until the age of 50. So how would that make it a good idea for young women to take the pill?? These are terrible results if you ask me!

(03-14-2010, 11:44 AM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: I thought there was alot of double speak in this article.  It looks like they "worked" the numbers to come up with this.
For example this cryptic statement:
Quote:Slightly higher death rates were found among women under 30 on the pill, but that began to be reversed by age 50.
This tells me that the pill is actually more deadly for young women, unless they survive it's effects until the age of 50. So how would that make it a good idea for young women to take the pill?? These are terrible results if you ask me!

Why would any significant number of women be taking the pill at age fifty? Menopause hits most women by age 45 or so.  Is there a delay of menopause if women are on the Pill? ???
(03-14-2010, 11:32 AM)Magnificat Wrote:
(03-13-2010, 08:26 PM)flannerywannabe Wrote:
(03-13-2010, 07:54 PM)Magnificat Wrote: It is in the best interest of the medical establishment to conduct studies in which finding support...the medical establishment!  I was talking about this study with a friend (who conducts studies) and we wonder whether the women who took the pill  simply went to the doctor more, therefore got more medical care.  We might go to the library and read the full journal article, or we might go to TJMaxx and look at purses; it's a tough call.

Handbags FTW. Much better for your mental health.

Maybe not - do you know that nowadays they sell really expensive handbags at TJ Maxx?  I saw a blue one that was pretty and noticed this weird flashing light hanging from it, and saw a price tag that said $299.  At first I thought it said $29.99, but nope.  The average price was about $60, and they were all really huge and horrible, like Conan The Barbarian-style purses. Now I have PTSD.  Where can you buy a normal purse these days? 

$299?? Quelle horreur. That could buy half a year's worth of diapers, or six refurbished bicycles, or ten really good magazine subscriptions, or a Netbook, or a double stroller, or.... or... ! ... certainly not a blue barbarian purse, anyway.