Post V2 Catholic Evangelization
(03-22-2010, 06:18 AM)Credo Wrote: As for my comment which elicited your rather snooty reply, I was making the sociological point that many Catholics first look for corporate reasons to their woes whereas, if faced with a similar apostasy, more individualist groups like Mohammedans or Protestants would be more likely to blame the apostates themselves rather than plotting abstract lines of philosophical developments, or making fatuous claims that documents stemming from a Church council no one reads would cause many people to leave the religion.

What's fatuous is the belief the council documents have no effect on people going to Mass.  Would you say the same about the documents of Trent? "No one" reads those either.

The council documents set the tone for the Church.  They are cited in everything from the Catechism to the RCIA class down the street.  You can't swing a dead cat without hearing about "the Council".

And the people that did and continue to do the destruction sure read them.

Really, I think you are the one who has been snooty for a while now, dissing trads, etc. In this case you seem to be dissing "Catholics".  That's why I'm not sure why you come here.  You seem to act like you're better or smarter than most of us and you aren't infected with idiocy like other Catholics.

Whatever.
(03-22-2010, 12:07 AM)James02 Wrote: Vatican II was our document of surrender.

I tend to think of V2 as our Chamberlain Munich Agreement with Hitler.
Quote:CredoThe problem lay in the Catholic world in general, and especially in the United States. The "ghetto mentality" which rightly or wrongly characterized Catholicism in the 1920s, '30s, '40s and '50s produced generations of Catholics who were quite cozy in their faith, thank-you very much. However, the same Catholics were so sheltered and unfamiliar with the outside world, so cut-off from the intellectual and philosophical debates of the age, that when confronted with - forgive me - real life, Catholics were totally unprepared.

I think this is largely true. If V-II hadn't happened,we'd have survived a little longer inside that sheltered life, but as one who exitted it for secular college and had a genuine culture shock along with so many others who got scholarships under Kennedy and also saw the Catholic resources swirling away in the confusion, I can say that I most definitely was not prepared at all for the different value structure and when I turned to my family, the only ones who understood were my uncles and those in the labor movement who were very familiar with the face-off between Catholic and secular cultural styles, which were also class-based. 

Some people I know who remianed inside the Catholic world and never went to secular school are utterly unable to understand my comfort in it and also my embrace of traditionalism. Not having gone into Protestant circles, they do not see the heresy that came in with N-O! They are the fish inside the bowl not seeing the water!  And the irony is that while I am more willing to understand the concept of salvation is Catholic-only, I am also far more comfortable living with people from other religions and cultures and I would not condone the kinds of bigotted attacks I have seen  my own kin take against people they fear.

V-II wasn't the only thing to go wrong with our society. There was a huge "counter-culture" that also attacked us along with the truly satanic nature of modern warfare and the rise of anti-human demonic forces in the wake of the milder agnosticism.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Really, I think you are the one who has been snooty for a while now, dissing trads, etc. In this case you seem to be dissing "Catholics".   That's why I'm not sure why you come here.  You seem to act like you're better or smarter than most of us and you aren't infected with idiocy like other Catholics.

You have said so.
Well, it's anecdotal, but the Institute of Christ the King has an apostolate in Gabon, for instance, and they haven't had difficulty gaining converts there.  http://www.institute-christ-king.org/ins...-missions/ 

The traditional mass is inherently compelling.
Indeed it is. Want to hazard a guess on why