Skateboarding friar bridges cultures
(03-29-2010, 12:54 PM)ghoti Wrote: Walty never really replied to the examples of St. John Bosco and St. Philip Neri. To expand on those and to add one other element:

Yes, St. John Bosco juggled and performed many other entertainments for kids to connect with them. St. Philip Neri's behavior was really outrageous. He said his delight was "to play the fool for the love of God." He would receive important visitors with his clothes turned inside out. He danced alone through the streets with his beard shaved half-way off. He strutted about carrying a huge bunch of brooms which he pretended to sniff delightedly. On feast days he was known to come to church with a jacket over his cassock and his biretta cocked on one side of his head, with a companion who had been told to keep brushing him off. He would sometimes appear in public with a large cushion perched on the top of his head.

Both of these men are canonized saints. In light of that, what's the problem with Friar Gabriel's skateboarding?

One more thing. The commentary in the Baptism rite of the 1962 Missal (the last revision of the Tridentine Rite) says this about the anointing with the Oil of Catechumens: "The Christian life is a contest and a struggle against the powers of evil. Therefore, as an athlete of Christ the baptismal candidate is anointed with oil, signifying that he is being given suppleness and strength for this purpose. In olden times the entire body of the candidate was anointed, in imitation of wrestlers and athletes who anointed their entire bodies with olive oil prior to entering the arena."

The Church has brought "secular" elements into the celebration of the sacraments. So again--what's the problem with Friar Gabriel's skateboarding??

I never said priests, friars, or saints can't be fun, but were juggling and turning one's clothes inside out popular youth fads of the time?

Friars, priests, nuns etc. do deserve a certain dignity and I worry that too much of this will ruin that dignity (as has been done in so many NO parishes).  I also worry that it trivializes the Faith and makes it merely one part of a young adult's life instead of the light by which they live their entire lives.

If I seen obstinate on this topic it's because I grew up in an atmosphere that saw this as a most effective way to teach kids Catholicism and I believe I almost lost my soul because of it.