Bp W Column 3-20: Virile Distress
(03-28-2010, 09:27 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(03-28-2010, 09:18 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(03-28-2010, 08:58 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: He goes out of his way to make the point that woman should not be "in public life," and in doing so he ignores all the women in history who have lived their lives in positions of authority while clearly following God's will.

I thought he addressed this with his comment about women flowing into the vacuum left by men who do not take on their responsibilities.  He was saying that good women may be reluctantly forced into positions of public leadership and authority by circumstances but that this is not the ideal.  This seemed very clear, as well as true, to me.

That may be true in some situations, but there are plenty of cases where a woman will hold a position of authority without filling a void left by men.

Definitely, but I think +W is saying that those are the ones that are unfortunate.

To me, the proof is in the pudding.  If it is God's will that men only operate in public leadership, then if men act honorably, work hard, etc., it will be so.  Because it's not God's Will to put idiots in charge even though that's what we often get in this world, so he's going to replace idiot men with honest women if necessary.

So, if people want +W to be right, men better get to work and start behaving like Catholic gentlemen, not Protestant slave-owners, when it comes to women - that includes both "gimme a sammich" and treating them like sexual objects.

It's easy for us to zero-in on the "women should not be in charge part" and ignore the "men got what they deserved" part of his message.   Really, the latter part is the more important part of the message in my mind because it is God's response to men not acting like Catholic men.

Men of the last century = Epic Fail
(03-24-2010, 01:00 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: ELEISON COMMENTS CXL (March 20, 2010) : VIRILE DISTRESS.
Therefore as much as the woman and mother should be listened to and heeded in affairs of the family for which she was gifted (see Proverbs XXXI for the Word of God’s own portrait of the truly “strong woman”), so little should she normally be seen or heard in public affairs, for which she was not made. The problem today is that godless and gutless men leave a leadership vacuum into which women almost have to flow, good women reluctantly.

So does that mean when I say we need to get rid of all the junk in the garage so the kids have more room for their bike, my husband needs to listen to me? Seriously.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(03-30-2010, 06:56 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(03-24-2010, 01:00 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: ELEISON COMMENTS CXL (March 20, 2010) : VIRILE DISTRESS.
Therefore as much as the woman and mother should be listened to and heeded in affairs of the family for which she was gifted (see Proverbs XXXI for the Word of God’s own portrait of the truly “strong woman”), so little should she normally be seen or heard in public affairs, for which she was not made. The problem today is that godless and gutless men leave a leadership vacuum into which women almost have to flow, good women reluctantly.

So does that mean when I say we need to get rid of all the junk in the garage so the kids have more room for their bike, my husband needs to listen to me? Seriously.

It would depend on whether your wishes are a product of living out your feminine nature.  If  the "junk" is part of the family business or a husband's workshop in which he keeps the house in ship shape, obviously the answer would be "no." 

If it really is a bunch of useless garbage, (broken or useless tools and sporting equipment, clothing from the 1970s,  empty boxes with tissue paper in them, then the answer would be "yes." 

Women today are just as messed up as men and in many cases an authentically feminine woman is underappreciated and even corrupted by modern men and authentic men are undermined and put into a relationship of power struggles and endless conflict by modern women. 

Regarding the junk, what Gerard said.  If the woman runs the house, she runs the house.  If his workbench is messy, that's one thing.  If the garage is full of crap and interferes with her running of the house, he should clean it.
See my husband hates to throw stuff out. We're talking useless junk. Really useless. He hangs onto stuff he thinks will come in handy some day, but never will. It's stuff he can't throw away. I have to hide it for couple months, see if he notices and if he doesn't I leave it on the curb like a year later.

One or twice he's been like, "What ever happened to that broken hubcap I had laying around?" And I'll be like, "Gee honey, I don't know.."  :P And it's true, I don't know which landfill it's sitting in.  :shrug: Could be anywhere. Deceptive, I know. I went to confession. I'm not proud about it.

I leave his office and his work bench alone, other than to sweep or vacuum, dust. Stuff like that. I have my faults like anyone, but I'm not really a control freak.

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Hoarding can be a disease, but usually it's not that bad for most people.  Watch the show hoarders sometime, and you'll see how bad it can get...  If you can actually dust, it's not that bad, trust me.

Maybe make a deal with him:  Every spring as part of spring cleaning, put stuff laying around in boxes with a date on it and a inventory on the outside so he can find stuff he needs.  Anything not used in that box(es) after a year at next spring cleaning gets dumped.  If it is discovered 366 days later that it could have been used, oh well, such is life, don't cry over spilt milk.  And if he forgot he had it and could have used it, too bad.  The other point is with less crap around, he will be more able to remember what he has.  Tools are the exception - some tools one may use once every 3 years, but it's worth it to have.  But tools usually aren't the problem - it's broken worthless crap that is.

So, start now, box crap up, and label and date it.  Have empty boxes for next years that he fills this year.  Next spring go to the boxed up stuff and toss.  Seal, date and inventory the boxes he's filled, and give him a new set to fill.  Obviously cardboard boxes are a bad idea.  Invest in some plastic storage bins.  And for big stuff, have a certain area.  Also, set a limit on the number of boxes - if he goes past, he has to throw stuff out.

Now, if I followed my own advice I'd have less crap around here.  Mostly old computer parts...

But see if he will agree to that.

BTW, your deceptive solution is what I've used with my kids and toys.  Sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do....
Ack, don't even get me started about the kid carp. They're far, far worse than their father and x's five. Except they haven't been at it so long and I can train them, sort of. I can't train him. I can only work around him as I've been doing--or with him, as you suggest if I'm lucky.

I've got bigger fish to fry. I need to remember that. I want to get him to the TLM. That would be so good for our family (and his soul),  if he decided to go to Mass with us instead of to the NO.

But yeah, I've seen that hoarders show. It's pitiful. No, nothing like that here.