Pope Benedict resigning? D:
(03-29-2010, 07:45 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: They'd find you dead within a week of your taking the throne.

Heh.

If I was pope, I'm fairly certain I could find a way of staying alive while implementing a policy which is along the same general idea as Petertherock's. I think being a charismatic (in the sense of personally appealing) person is key, even while being traditional.

Also, if I wanted to have another council, I'd have it at the Lateran. We haven't had one of those in a while. Another Vatican council would make me look terribly uncreative.
Speaking of the Lateran, since there are complications with having a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint Peter's Basilica without all the accompanying honour guards and such, I would have a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint John Lateran, the first cathedral of Christendom. I'd use it as an opportunity to reconcile the various factions of traditionalism. Bishop Fellay would be deacon, Father Berg of the FSSP would be subdeacon, Monsignor Wach of the ICRSS would be master of ceremonies, and.... whoever is the leading figure of the sedevacantist scene will be the guy who holds my cross. If any of them refuse to participate, I'll personally kick their door down and crack their skull open with my staff.

Another reform of mine will be that all clergy will be required to have a black belt in every martial art ever invented.
(03-29-2010, 04:51 PM)OldMan Wrote: Media, bloggs,email... All of these sources are simply tools of Satan himself.
:o
(03-29-2010, 07:40 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Actually, I was trying to keep it a secret but the Pope will indeed announce his resignation and he is appointing me as his replacement.

So... Orthodoxy.
(03-29-2010, 07:59 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Speaking of the Lateran, since there are complications with having a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint Peter's Basilica without all the accompanying honour guards and such, I would have a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint John Lateran, the first cathedral of Christendom. I'd use it as an opportunity to reconcile the various factions of traditionalism. Bishop Fellay would be deacon, Father Berg of the FSSP would be subdeacon, Monsignor Wach of the ICRSS would be master of ceremonies, and.... whoever is the leading figure of the sedevacantist scene will be the guy who holds my cross. If any of them refuse to participate, I'll personally kick their door down and crack their skull open with my staff.

Another reform of mine will be that all clergy will be required to have a black belt in every martial art ever invented.

Don't forget the ban on lace!
(03-29-2010, 07:59 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Speaking of the Lateran, since there are complications with having a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint Peter's Basilica without all the accompanying honour guards and such, I would have a papal Tridentine Mass at Saint John Lateran, the first cathedral of Christendom. I'd use it as an opportunity to reconcile the various factions of traditionalism. Bishop Fellay would be deacon, Father Berg of the FSSP would be subdeacon, Monsignor Wach of the ICRSS would be master of ceremonies, and.... whoever is the leading figure of the sedevacantist scene will be the guy who holds my cross. If any of them refuse to participate, I'll personally kick their door down and crack their skull open with my staff.

And, can't forget to bring out the sedia gestatoria, perhaps at the end of the council  :)
(03-29-2010, 08:03 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Don't forget the ban on lace!

Yeah....

(In truth, I'm not really against lace. After all, I have lace cuffs and jabots for special events. I just think some trad clergy go overboard with it, especially the ones that are entirely sheer like Victoria's Secret panties. Combine that with really gaudy fiddlebacks with the pastel colours and Rococo flowers everywhere like it was cut from the upholstery of a couch from Marie Antoinette's fainting room, and you have a perfect recipe for barfing. However, I like the surplices and albs that have simple lace inserts on the edges.)

paxetveritas Wrote:And, can't forget to bring out the sedia gestatoria, perhaps at the end of the council 

I'm not against the sedia, but I think that would be really difficult to bring back. At the same time, people will understand if I don't want to be carted around in a dorky bulletproof bubble. I think I'll settle with a white warhorse, as the medieval popes rode around in. I wonder if Julius II's papal armour is still around somewhere. I could modify it with cermaic plating to stop bullets, perhaps.
(03-29-2010, 07:45 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: They'd find you dead within a week of your taking the throne.

Maybe, but of course I would have to have secret service agents as good as the one that keep our President alive. I bet the Swiss Guard is just as good as the Secret Service though  :laughing:
(03-29-2010, 08:23 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Maybe, but of course I would have to have secret service agents as good as the one that keep our President alive. I bet the Swiss Guard is just as good as the Secret Service though  :laughing:

I'm not actually sure about that. The Swiss Guard may be among the toughest in the world for straight fights, but I don't think preventing assassinations is their strongest point.

I think it's unfortunate that only Swiss Catholics have the opportunity to serve the Pope in a military fashion. So if I were Pope, I'd create a new military regiment, similar to the old Papal Zouaves or a "foreign legion", that would be open to all Catholics provided they're devout and tough enough. The best of the best among these would also be created knights in the most medieval sense of the word.
HK, I love that "gaudy" vestment to which you posted a link. I think my family had a Victorian sofa that looked a great deal like that ... Oh, wait ...