Pope Benedict resigning? D:
(03-30-2010, 09:49 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: All of the above could apply to Pope Benedict, as EHMCs, altar girls, and communion in the hand, etc., are still very much with us. Cdl. Mahoney is still in good graces with the Holy See, last time I looked. Pope Benedict has also visited synagogues, mosques, and prayed with Lutherans. The blame for sex scandal cover-ups is being laid at the feet of the current Pope, because as Cardinal Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, who did he answer to? The Pope? Or the Secretary? Was he in a position to be less in the dark than JP2?

One of the differences is, is that Pope Benedict XVI is still very much with us, while Pope JP II is not and is being promoted for Beatification and Canonization. After the current Pontiff has gone to his reward, his actions during his Papacy will be scrutinized, especially if he's proposed for Beatification and/or Canonization. I can tell you that his allowing Rowan Williamson to celebrate "mass" on the altar of santa sabina, sit in the cathedra, and carry a pastoral staff ( a sign of juristiction) as well as making Niederaurer bishop of San Francisco, will be factors which will impede it should it ever take place.  

Quote:Cardinal Ratzinger liked him fine too, and when he became Pope put his cause for sainthood on the fast track. But B16 is treated with kid gloves here. That's because B16 gave us the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum; and yet JP2 embraced the FSSP! If B16 sympathizes with tradition, then JP2 sympathized with tradition. If JP2 was a liberal, then B16 is a liberal.

FWIW, I stand by both of them.

The only reason JP II embraced the FSSP was because of the SSPX, without which there would be no FSSP. The 1984 and 1988 "indults" had no teeth and were nearly useless, as he asked bishops to be generous, and didn't tell them to be generous. As was usually the case during JPII's Papacy, there was little to no enforcement whenever he issued any statements or documents.

Pope BXVI also lifted the excommunications on the SSPX bishops. Further, I've seen Pope Benedict criticized here and elsewhere for his handling of and seemingly contradictory statements about the Third Secret of Fatima, in addition to what I noted in my previous statement above. Most Trads know he's not the second coming of Pope St. Pius X, but they're grateful he's not another Pope JP II, either.
(03-30-2010, 10:56 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: The only reason JP II embraced the FSSP was because of the SSPX, without which there would be no FSSP. The 1984 and 1988 "indults" had no teeth and were nearly useless, as he asked bishops to be generous, and didn't tell them to be generous. As was usually the case during JPII's Papacy, there was little to no enforcement whenever he issued any statements or documents.

I wouldn't even give him credit for that, to be honest with you.  Look at every document issued pro-tradition during JP2's pontificate, and you will notice another name almost always there:  Ratzinger.  I have a strong suspicion that if it weren't for Cdl R there would be no FSSP and no offer would have been made to Lefebvre.  True, JP2 signed off on it, but I would bet it came to be because of Cdl R's lobbying.  I say that because 1) his name is on almost everything, and, 2) as you point out JP2 didn't really put his weight behind it like B16 has.
There's an story in Malachi Martin's, The Jesuits, where Cardinal Ratzinger and JP2 are having a heated argument with Cdl R showing him the reports of dissident Bishops and Priests wanting to do something about it, but JP2 basically dissmissing the whole thing.
(03-30-2010, 10:07 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
QuisutDeus Wrote:There is also the consideration that JP2 opened Pandora's Box, and it's a lot easier to let evil out than shove it back in.  Most of that stuff won't get fixed at least for a Century, IMO.

Absolutely. It's way more difficult to go from chaos to order, than from order to chaos.

The only way these things will get fixed before we'll all dead (or direct divine intervention) will be for there to be some Pope who is ridiculously charismatic. You know, like me. But then, that would fall under the divine intervention thing.

(Seriously, though, one reason Benedict is having a hard time is because, let's be honest, he's not the most charming fellow out there unless you're already a pretty serious Catholic and agree with him on everything. Popes don't have to be likeable, but let me tell you, it sure doesn't hurt.)

Your implications that B16 lacks his predecessor's charisma are correct, but I do think our current Holy Father is likeable, nonetheless. I've always thought he has a sweet face, like a shy but very kind grandpa. Or librarian. His quiet style has always appealed to me more than JPII's rock star persona, although I liked JPII fine until I found out some things after he died.