Lamb Moulds
Now I just need the little flag... banner?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I never even thought about a banner for my lamb cake. What a good idea! You could even make it edible if you were really ambitious ... white chocolate with, oh, a cross made of red Twizzlers.
(03-30-2010, 07:40 AM)Satori Wrote: I never even thought about a banner for my lamb cake. What a good idea! You could even make it edible if you were really ambitious ... white chocolate with, oh, a cross made of red Twizzlers.

Yeah, and I was thinking that those little wooden shish-kabob skewers would do the trick for the pole.

And shredded coconut over white frosting for lamb's wool.  :) And raisins for the eyes.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

[Image: Frances100.jpg]

So lamb cakes for Easter are traditional? Awesome!

Still thinking about how to make your banner edible ... How about rolling out sugar or butter cookie dough and cutting it in the shape of a banner, then icing it with white royal icing and a cross of red candies?
(03-30-2010, 06:02 PM)Satori Wrote: So lamb cakes for Easter are traditional? Awesome!

Still thinking about how to make your banner edible ... How about rolling out sugar or butter cookie dough and cutting it in the shape of a banner, then icing it with white royal icing and a cross of red candies?

Honestly, if just get the cake made, it'll be enough. I've got a lot of family coming over for dinner on Sunday, and a couple of legs of lamb to cook, and some other dishes, so I think I'll ask my daughter to make the flags... one for the cake, one for the butter, assuming the moulds arrive in the mail in time that is. I hope they do!

Let me know about your flag cookie, if it works out and please post pics of your lamby!!!  :)

Vox has the Wilton mold.  Two boxes of pound cake mix, 3 things of white frosting.  Then cover in coconut.  She also puts some coconut in a plastic bag with a few drops of green food dye and shakes it up to put "grass" under the lamb.  Chocolate chip eyes, and a maraschino cherry (use a half) nose.  Garnish with peeps.

With the wilton mold, you have to tie it up with cooking twine to keep it closed.  It looks like your mold latches shut so you probably don't have to.  I think it has to be turned over some time during the baking process, but you probably got directions with your mold.

I taught her about this because my mom made it when I was a kid. :)

BTW, it is mold for Americans.  Mould is the British / Kansas City spelling.

Quote:Main Entry: mold
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French molde, alteration of Old French modle, from Latin modulus, diminutive of modus measure — more at mete
Date: 13th century

1 : distinctive nature or character : type
2 : the frame on or around which an object is constructed
3 a : a cavity in which a substance is shaped: as (1) : a matrix for casting metal (2) : a form in which food is given a decorative shape b : a molded object
4 : molding
(03-31-2010, 06:02 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Vox has the Wilton mold.  Two boxes of pound cake mix, 3 things of white frosting.  Then cover in coconut.  She also puts some coconut in a plastic bag with a few drops of green food dye and shakes it up to put "grass" under the lamb.  Chocolate chip eyes, and a maraschino cherry (use a half) nose.  Garnish with peeps.

With the wilton mold, you have to tie it up with cooking twine to keep it closed.  It looks like your mold latches shut so you probably don't have to.  I think it has to be turned over some time during the baking process, but you probably got directions with your mold.

I taught her about this because my mom made it when I was a kid. :)

BTW, it is mold for Americans.  Mould is the British / Kansas City spelling.

Quote:Main Entry: mold
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French molde, alteration of Old French modle, from Latin modulus, diminutive of modus measure — more at mete
Date: 13th century

1 : distinctive nature or character : type
2 : the frame on or around which an object is constructed
3 a : a cavity in which a substance is shaped: as (1) : a matrix for casting metal (2) : a form in which food is given a decorative shape b : a molded object
4 : molding

Oh gracious. I never could spell anyway. I'll believe whatever, you tell me.

Mixes, eh? I didn't know they sell pound cake mix. I'm going to use that. Thanx.

Satori, I know what you're thinking but I need the shortcuts. I really do.

I understand about needing the shortcuts, but if it comes out of a box, it is not a poundcake.

But. It should work anyway.

Ask Vox how she gets her lambie ears to stay in one piece, since she and I have the same mold. Cooking twine? You know what, I just use yarn to tie my mold together ...

I will not be making a lamb this year. I'm still staying at my in-laws, and all my fancy-dancy kitchen stuff is in boxes in another county. *weeps* I'm cooking for the in-laws, and as they need to watch the sugar and fat, I will be making an angel food cake and serving it with strawberries, no icing. But I will make cookies. And I might just see if I can manage a flag cookie ...
(03-31-2010, 07:52 AM)Satori Wrote: I understand about needing the shortcuts, but if it comes out of a box, it is not a poundcake.

But. It should work anyway.

Ask Vox how she gets her lambie ears to stay in one piece, since she and I have the same mold. Cooking twine? You know what, I just use yarn to tie my mold together .

OK, but I've helped her make it, and honestly, it might just be the "poundcake" mix is the right consistency because I've never seen her do anything special; my mom made it the same way and never any ear problems that I recall.  Fake poundcake might win the ear battle in this case...

Yarn is a good idea, but some of the synthetics might melt in an oven, no?  "Cooking twine" is the stuff butchers tie roasts and such together with.