Lamb Moulds
(03-31-2010, 10:30 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: First I'm called a Judaizer, a convert from Judaism who's married to a Jew (or Jewish convert), and now I'm Protestantizing?

Damn, man.

It's been a hard week at Fisheaters.

Don't mess with the Pope's English.  That's all I'm sayin'...
[Image: polish_easter_stamp_medium_postage-p1721...4u_400.jpg]

The lamb butter mold came with a few paper flags. I'm just going to use those.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I did a Dogpile search and came up with these cuties.

[Image: lambcake_275.jpg]

[Image: small%20lamb%20cake.jpg]

[Image: cake_lamb.jpg]

[Image: lamb%20cake.jpg]

Too cute, too cute!!!

I definitely think the coconut wool is the way to go...

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Personally I think whipped cream looks more like wool than coconut, but to each her own.

Quis, I didn't reject the white chocolate idea because I'm against "cheating." I rejected it because shaping chocolate without a mold is hard, especially if you want to make something relatively big and thick like a banner for a lamb cake. Maybe you know a method I don't, but it would be hard to cut chocolate into a banner shape without it breaking. That's assuming you can find a big, smooth sheet of white chocolate in the first place; I've never seen one, only things like white chocolate chips. Maybe you go to fancier stores than I do. Oh, I know, you could melt the chips carefully so they don't scorch, spread them in a pan, let it harden, etc., but that would take time, and you still have the cutting problem.

I'm also not against poundcake from a mix because of strictures against culinary cheating; I'm against it because it doesn't have the taste of texture of poundcake. I am of the firm opinion that cakes made from boxed mixes just aren't very good. You, of course, are free to disagree. They do have one advantage: The results are predictable and trustworthy because they are full of stabilizing chemicals or something. Hence you're probably right that they are easier to use with a fancy cake mold than from-scratch batter.

Cheating -- poo! I just like good food. My attitude toward cookery can be summed up in these wise words of Chef Gordon Ramsey: "I'd rather change my career than serve powdered mash."
Maybe there's a chocolate banner mould, or mold out there for sale. I bet there is. You can buy anything these days.

Clay and plastic wrap?
(04-01-2010, 11:57 AM)Texican Wrote: Clay and plastic wrap?

No, it's only good if you buy one made out of plastic at a factory in China.  This "ingenuity" approach is not allowed.  At least that's what the marketing people tell me.

BTW, clay can also be used as a bullet mold in a pinch.  I'm just sayin....

If someone would tell me how to make a mold, I'd be all over it. I'm all for DYI.
(04-01-2010, 09:19 PM)Satori Wrote: If someone would tell me how to make a mold, I'd be all over it. I'm all for DYI.

Well, clay works best as temporary mold in this case.  Just make a hollow in the clay in the shape of a flag.  Line it snugly with plastic wrap, pour in the molten chocolate.  You could probably even use play-doh here (I don't think play-doh melts, does  it?).

Hardening the clay, sealing, etc., would be overkill I'm thinking....

If you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well make a permanent mold.

I wonder if salt dough would work? That's what I use for my "artworks" these days.