Poll: As a hypothetical, let us say that you lived in an area where the only (and I mean only) Catholic presence was a lifeteen parish. There wasn't another Catholic church of any rite within many days travel. The lifeteen parish is atrocious, in addition to it
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

choice between liturgies
(03-30-2010, 01:18 PM)amasimp Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 12:13 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Just consider giggles (thanks for that one Matthew Talbot)  our resident NO modernist.

I think that is an unfair characterization and name-calling is not very becoming of a good Catholic.

Nothing unfair at all about labeling one with the posting history of Giggles a Modernist..It's all here on the forum for you to look up if you think Peter to be rash in his comments...He's just calling a spade a spade..
The focus is on the teens and not on God. Suprised you cant see that.
The Lifeteen parish usually has the crazy Mass Sunday night. If you go to the earliest Mass on Sunday morning, 7 or 8 AM usually, it's fairly normal.
(03-29-2010, 07:14 PM)glgas Wrote: Go to lifeteen Mass and enjoy the beauty of the youth sanctified by the Holy Mass.

:laughing:  You slay me.

(03-30-2010, 01:18 PM)amasimp Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 12:13 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Just consider giggles (thanks for that one Matthew Talbot)  our resident NO modernist.

I think that is an unfair characterization and name-calling is not very becoming of a good Catholic.

i agree.  i could make up "funny" variations of the names "Petertherock" and "Matthew Talbot" but i wont because that's a childish thing to do.

gigas was a practicing Catholic long before Vatican II and long before most Fisheaters were born.  he's not a "NO modernist,"  he's a Catholic who realizes that both the OF and EF are valid Masses recognized by the Church.  unless you're a sede, you should have no real quarrels with gigas.

(03-29-2010, 06:39 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote: What the heck is a "lifeteen" parish?

Basically most Novus Ordo parishes.
(03-30-2010, 07:33 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 06:42 AM)glgas Wrote:
(03-29-2010, 10:08 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Don't listen to gglas....you can tell from the videos I posted that there is nothing sanctifying about this mess.

The priest is using bread and wine, pronounces the proper words, and want to do what the Church do (now in present tense). By the power of the Sacrament Jesus Christ is present of that Mass.

Unfortunately the something, the intention do do what the present Church does, could be missing in some sede... masses, and since they are outside of the Church, nothing can supply for the deficiency.

This intention is definitely missing in more than a few Novus Ordo masses. And even more so as the crisis in the church goes on...

Giggles, you are not correct concerning your assertion that Intention to do as The Church always has done is a missing component in some sedevacantist masses. This is almost never the case. Intention has nothing to do with their sedevacantist beliefs. They are entirely separate issues. You really should study Sacramental Theology a wee-bit more. Even a compotent Novus Ordo Theologian would tell you this. 

Four things are necessary for transubstantiation to take place: a validly-ordained priest, proper matter, proper form and proper intention. The only component of these four that might invalidate a Sede priest's efforts at transubstantiation is who ordained him and whether or not this individual was a validly consecrated bishop, many sede bishops are validly consecrated. Some are probably not.

MT - I agree with you completely.

Also, the validity of the N.O. isn't really the question.  It is the sacrilge involved, which excuses one of the Sunday Obligation because one cannot take a sinful route to meet that obligation.  Therefore, one who knows, even a little bit, about the horrid problems of the N.O. cannot simply "suck it up" to obtain his/her obligation.  This is opportunism.
(03-31-2010, 08:39 PM)Nic Wrote:
(03-29-2010, 06:39 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote: What the heck is a "lifeteen" parish?

That is cute, but we should be accurate.

Lifeteen is a movement started by a pedophile who was eventually also excommunicated.  They do crazy stuff trying to bring youths to the Church.

http://www.lifeteen.com/

ETA: here is an article from 2008 - his secular trial was supposed to start in Feb last I heard.

Quote:PHOENIX (CNA) - Bishop of Phoenix Thomas J. Olmsted has issued a decree of excommunication to Monsignor Dale Fushek, founder of LifeTeen, and Father Mark Dippre for their establishment of and leadership in an "opposing ecclesial community."

Fushek, one of three founders of LifeTeen, has not been active in the youth ministry for four years.

The priests had served together in the 1990s at St. Timothy’s Catholic Community in Mesa, Arizona, the East Valley Tribune reports. A year ago, they founded the non-denominational Praise and Worship Center, which meets Sundays at the Fiesta Fountains Recreation Center in Mesa.

Their meetings regularly draw 250 to 300 people. The priests’ 90-minute services begin at 10 am each Sunday and feature much music but do not include sacraments. Reportedly, the priests have repeatedly said their services are not to be considered "Catholic" in any way.

"They always claim that they are not doing something in opposition to any denomination, but they are always holding their worship services at a time that coincides with a lot of Catholic Masses." Jim Dwyer, a Diocese of Phoenix spokesman, told the East Valley Tribune.

The East Valley Tribune quoted two attendees of Monsignor Fushek’s service who also attend Catholic Mass.

"I go to Mass for my sacraments, and I go to Praise and Worship for my Christian fulfillment," Stan Nicpon said, adding that it has a "good community feeling."

His wife Jan described her reaction to the service, saying "It is kind of a fulfillment beyond church. It is just a lot of great music that kind of fills you with a good spirit, inspiration and hope — a lot of hope."

Monsignor Fushek, the former vicar general of the Diocese of Phoenix, is also awaiting trial on seven misdemeanor counts including contributing to the delinquency of a minor, indecent exposure and assault.

A statement from the Diocese of Phoenix explained the excommunications, saying that the two priests refused to comply with Bishop Olmsted’s "explicit directions" to discontinue public ministry.

"The excommunications were incurred after repeated offers of reconciliation were ignored," the diocese said.

The diocese’s statement remarks that the priests brought the excommunication upon themselves and explains that the priests cannot celebrate Mass or participate in any other ceremonies of worship.

"They are also prohibited from celebrating or receiving any of the sacraments. In addition, they forfeit the benefits of dignity, office, or any function that they had previously acquired in the Catholic Church," the diocese statement reads.

The diocese said that Bishop Olmsted continues to express "grave concern" for Catholics who may be "misled or confused" by the priests’ actions. The statement encouraged Catholics not to attend or support the Praise and Worship Center and reminded Catholics that "the ultimate form of praise and worship is and always will be the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass."

"There is no substitution for the graces received at Mass and no prayer more edifying," the diocese said.
(03-31-2010, 09:08 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

Lifeteen is a movement started by a pedophile who was eventually also excommunicated.  They do crazy stuff trying to bring youths to the Church.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... ;)
(03-31-2010, 09:16 PM)Nic Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 09:08 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... ;)

No, it was funny, but we should answer the question as well so people know. For example:  I am hopeful that glgas was not familiar with it or he wouldn't have answered as he did, so know he knows.  If he was already familiar with it, well, I'll say an ave.