Divine Mercy Sunday
(03-30-2010, 01:08 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 11:11 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: I thought this was a traditional Catholic forum.

It is... and this traditional Catholic website's owner created a page on Divine Mercy.

http://www.fisheaters.com/divinemercy.html

Exactly.  Lots of trads follow the Divine Mercy stuff.  I don't, but I don't see anything wrong with it.  There are plenty of charisms and practices for different temperaments - it's always been that way in the Church.

For example, I prefer the Servite Rosary to the Dominican one.  I pray the Dominican one in group, but privately I pray the Servite one more often.  I may not get the indulgences and stuff tied to the Dominican one, but it is easier for me to say and relate to.  In fact, I prefer the Little Office to all Rosaries because I have trouble meditating, but I can think about what I'm reading / reciting.  When I pray the Rosary I often get stuck thinking about the Aves and Paters and forgetting about the mysteries...

(03-30-2010, 11:04 AM)amasimp Wrote: A lot of trads are against the Divine Mercy devotion for a few reasons:

I'm not attributing these to you, but I think a few of those reasons are goofy:

Quote:1.  The seeming replacement of the Octave Sunday of Easter with a Sunday celebration dictated by a private revelation

This one is the only compelling one.  But, it is not insurmountable.  The Church dictates holy days, days of obligation, etc.  It is within her capacity to add anything at any time, and she certainly has.  It certainly makes one wonder about the veracity of the revelation, but it's not like it's a sign of the Antichrist for the Church to change the liturgical calendar even during Easter; it's happened in history.  What's different is that this is a private revelation that could conflict with the traditional and rightful honor given to Easter.  But, it doesn't have to.  It could be folded into the Paschal Celebration eventually as honoring the Mercy of Christ given to us via His Sacrifice on the Cross.

Quote:2.  St. Faustina's diary used to be on the Index of Forbidden Books

So was poem of the Man-God which was recommended by the SSPX at one point.  Also, St. Joan of Arc was once an heretic.  The index and excommunication are not infallible.  Popes can add and remove books and also adjudicate and remit excommunications as they see fit and it is temporally binding even if it is incorrect.  When they say it is out, it is out.  When they say it is OK, it is OK at least in the general sense.  Of course, we shouldn't commit sins against conscience if we think something to be wrong; but at the same time, we should be really careful if we want to convince others it is wrong.

Quote:3.  The devotion was promulgated by JPII so it has a "guilt by association" impression attached to it.

That's just contrarianism.  JP2 also said no women priests, so from "guilt by association" all trads should join womynpriests.

And there's nothing for anyone to be against anyhow.  It was a private revelation and not binding.  If one doesn't believe, well, OK.  'nuff said.  I won't argue for them to believe.  I won't even argue for someone to believe in Fatima, and I believe wholeheartedly in that.  I'll just put the information in front of them and ask them to consider it.
(03-30-2010, 02:33 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Your not required to believe anything, and I am not required to not believe it. Personally, I believe. You dont have to choose one over the other. All are good. This sort of division is what makes the devil dance.

we are required to believe a lot of things but private devotions are not one of them.  it should not be divisive or "make the devil dance" for Catholics to prefer different private devotions and different saints from those their neighbor prefers.  if you ask people here what their favorite devotions are and/or who their favorite saints are, you will get different answers.  i'd be surprised if any two people listed the same devotions or saints.  there are no wrong choices as long as they are devotions approved by the Church and we may pray to people who are not yet beatified, much less canonized.
(03-31-2010, 01:17 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 11:04 AM)amasimp Wrote: A lot of trads are against the Divine Mercy devotion for a few reasons:

I'm not attributing these to you, but I think a few of those reasons are goofy:

Good...because they are not my reasons, just ones I've gleaned from the many debates I've read on trad forums over the years. 

I don't do the Divine Mercy devotion either, but I have my own reasons for it.  Mostly, repetitive prayer does not work well for me since I, too, have difficulty meditating.  Secondly, and this is really just silly but nonetheless true for me, I find the cadence of the prayer to be very irritating and that Holy One, Immortal One stuff to be like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I think it is from the Byzantine Liturgy, so I don't have a problem with the theology, it is just the sound of it in my head is very bothersome. 

I guess maybe I'm too Latin...

You dont like repetive prayer?  What about the rosary? You realize of course we have no choice, the Blessed Mother told us we must say it daily. Read St Francis de Sales on prayer. It will help you to pray better.
(03-31-2010, 11:13 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: You dont like repetive prayer?  What about the rosary? You realize of course we have no choice, the Blessed Mother told us we must say it daily. Read St Francis de Sales on prayer. It will help you to pray better.

I don't like the Rosary either.  I pray it daily, but I don't like it.  Frankly, it puts me to sleep.  For me, the Rosary is like eating vegetables.  I don't like them much, but they are good for me. 
Picture each Hail Mary as a rose you are sending up to Mary.
(03-31-2010, 11:21 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Picture each Hail Mary as a rose you are sending up to Mary.

Done that, it doesn't work.

Look, I don't like the Rosary.  I never have and probably never will.  So what....there are other prayers out there that I do like and do say.
I wont argue with you but Our Lady did say at Fatima " There is no problem, either temporal or spiritual, no problem, that the Rosary cannot fix"
St Alphonus Liguori: "Saying the Rosary is a sign of pre-destination"
I don't do the Divine Mercy because the way I have seen others pray the devotion makes me ill.  I'm sorry if this sounds inconsiderate of others.  To me, the Divine Mercy feminizes Jesus beyond the pale.  The prayers of the devotion are childish, infantile, girlish and are almost always recited in that sicky-sweet pablum tone of voice. Another beef I have with the devotion is the portraits of the Divine Mercy - portraying Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior as a bearded woman.  I've seen some horrendous and tacky statues and pictures of Jesus Christ in my life, but to me, the Divine Mercy image is borderline blasphemy.

If others find the Divine Mercy devotion spiritually fulfilling, wonderful.  But for me, I'll stick with the Sacred Heart devotion.