Divine Mercy Sunday
(03-31-2010, 02:18 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 01:15 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I don't know how you consider this as a "bearded woman"

(image removed because it's huge)

And in fact, this was how Jesus wanted the painting to be, according to St Faustina. I NEVER even had thought remotely near me. Bearded woman...... :pazzo:

not according to Lisa's post above.  that was the third version, with both the second and third being done after Sr. Faustina died.

[Image: DivineMercy1.jpg]

ip.i. Wrote:i like that image much better because it has the Sacred Heart, too, which gives the water and blood a place to flow from, and i also like the actual halo as opposed to faint glowing light around His head.  i think his robe and stance also look more masculine than in the standard Divine Mercy image.  it's just an aesthetic viewpoint that i'm expressing, of course, but aesthetics is important to me.  i picture particular artworks when i pray the Rosary.

I agree. Aesthetics are extremely important. My pastor always says that "Bad art kills devotion." The current picture of Divine Mercy is my least favorite of the three. That's why I have the original one on my desk. At home I have one that resembles an Eastern icon.

i.p.i. Wrote:this whole debate is kind of like arguing about which color is the best, though, or which is the best song ever written.  different people like different colors, different songs, etc.

Again, I agree. We have so many beautiful devotions in the Church. This is precisely the area in which we are allowed to be "Cafeteria Catholics" ! As long as the devotion is approved by the Church, of course.

i.p.i. Wrote:i know you like the Divine Mercy devotion, Lisa, and i respect that because i respect you.  i know that many other people like it, too, and i like the way they sing it on EWTN but then they show the image and it leaves me cold.  i think it's mostly because of the way the water and blood are fanning out instead of flowing, and don't have a real point of origin.  i might be able to get into the devotion with an image like the one you posted.  i love Byzantine art so anything remotely like a Byzantine icon is going to appeal to me more than anything that looks like Protestant Jesus or Buddy Jesus/ Sports Jesus.

until you posted this image, though, i'd never seen any image of the Divine Mercy but the one posted above.  the statues as well as the 2D images all look the same.  i would think that's because it's such a new devotion that artists haven't been creating different versions of it, though it's probably within the parameters of Sister Faustina's visions to allow some differences.  i mean, did Jesus tell her He had to have a forked beard?  probably not.  for that matter, people around the world have depicted Jesus as looking like their own ethnic group.  i don't think Jesus minds.

St. Faustina disliked the artist's portrait so much, that she insisted he keep working on it. Nothing could satisfy her. Her reaction was the same as St. Bernadette's who was disappointed when she saw the sculpture's rendition of Our Lady of Lourdes. No human artist will ever be able to transfer their glory. Our Lord finally told St. Faustina to accept it as it was and reminded her that the "power was not in the canvas." Jesus did not tell her to create an exact likeness of himself - he was more concerned about his gestures and the symbols: that his right hand was raised in blessing, and that there be a thick belt about his waist (which I believe signifies High Priest), the pale rays and red rays flowing from the heart, and that the words "Jesus, I trust in you" be the script on every painting. 

As for the chaplet, the concluding prayer - "Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One.. " come from the Byzantine Liturgy. The words on the large beads "Eternal Father, I offer you the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity" etc., are almost identical to St. Gertrude the Great's prayer for the release of the souls in purgatory. 
(03-31-2010, 01:20 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Umm...if this is not a bearded woman, I don't know what is:
[Image: dmhb.jpg]

edited for size

I've always considered that Image as rather effeminate myself.
(03-31-2010, 01:49 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Here (imo) is a good image of the Sacred Heart and Divine Mercy combined.

[Image: DivineMercy1.jpg]

Now that I like.
Well for what is worth, I do the novena every year, and this year will be no exception. If you dont want to do it, dont. Simple.
Watch the Lakers or something.
I don't like the rosary either.  Is it better to say the rosary badly or not say it at all?  Saying it badly is like sending a dead, decaying, putrid, moldy rose to Our Lady.  I'd rather not, thank you.  Same goes for Divine Mercy, my mind wanders too much.  And it's considerably shorter than the rosary.  But I'm just a lousy Catholic. :shrug:
(03-31-2010, 05:51 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I don't like the rosary either.  Is it better to say the rosary badly or not say it at all?  Saying it badly is like sending a dead, decaying, putrid, moldy rose to Our Lady.  I'd rather not, thank you.  Same goes for Divine Mercy, my mind wanders too much.  And it's considerably shorter than the rosary.  But I'm just a lousy Catholic. :shrug:

Try the servite Rosary.  You might find it easier.
I.m kind of shocked at the number of Catholics today that dont like the rosary. I do like it. Fr said you can say it while you work, while you drive. He said you can say 1 decade at a time if need be; like an hour apart or whatever. No excuse people, no excuse. Our Lady said we MUST say it. St alphonus Liguori said it was a sign of pre-destination to say it faithfully. There are so many bensfits attached to it, to not say it is to leave a lot on the table. Just do it.
(03-31-2010, 06:14 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I.m kind of shocked at the number of Catholics today that dont like the rosary. I do like it. Fr said you can say it while you work, while you drive. He said you can say 1 decade at a time if need be; like an hour apart or whatever. No excuse people, no excuse. Our Lady said we MUST say it. St alphonus Liguori said it was a sign of pre-destination to say it faithfully. There are so many bensfits attached to it, to not say it is to leave a lot on the table. Just do it.

Some people do other things than the Rosary like read the Divine Office which is a higher form of prayer since it is the Liturgy of the Church.
(03-31-2010, 06:14 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I.m kind of shocked at the number of Catholics today that dont like the rosary. I do like it. Fr said you can say it while you work, while you drive. He said you can say 1 decade at a time if need be; like an hour apart or whatever. No excuse people, no excuse. Our Lady said we MUST say it. St alphonus Liguori said it was a sign of pre-destination to say it faithfully. There are so many bensfits attached to it, to not say it is to leave a lot on the table. Just do it.

As long as a Christian has a solid prayer life, the Rosary is not mandatory. If it was, it would be part of magisterial teaching. If one prays the Divine Office, for example, that has even more graces. Daily Mass also helps, Lectio Divina, ad lib prayer, and whatever else.

I don't have anything against the Rosary, of course. I'm just saying.