Divine Mercy Sunday
(03-31-2010, 06:14 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I.m kind of shocked at the number of Catholics today that dont like the rosary. I do like it. Fr said you can say it while you work, while you drive. He said you can say 1 decade at a time if need be; like an hour apart or whatever. No excuse people, no excuse. Our Lady said we MUST say it. St alphonus Liguori said it was a sign of pre-destination to say it faithfully. There are so many bensfits attached to it, to not say it is to leave a lot on the table. Just do it.

I go hot and cold on the Rosary. Sometimes I can really get into it and sometimes my mind wanders. I ,like, Quis find the servite Rosary easier to say. I still do say the Dominican one though because Our lady requested it I just dont say it every day. I do say parts of the Office everyday though (If I can).
(03-31-2010, 06:28 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 06:14 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I.m kind of shocked at the number of Catholics today that dont like the rosary. I do like it. Fr said you can say it while you work, while you drive. He said you can say 1 decade at a time if need be; like an hour apart or whatever. No excuse people, no excuse. Our Lady said we MUST say it. St alphonus Liguori said it was a sign of pre-destination to say it faithfully. There are so many bensfits attached to it, to not say it is to leave a lot on the table. Just do it.

As long as a Christian has a solid prayer life, the Rosary is not mandatory. If it was, it would be part of magisterial teaching. If one prays the Divine Office, for example, that has even more graces. Daily Mass also helps, Lectio Divina, ad lib prayer, and whatever else.

I don't have anything against the Rosary, of course. I'm just saying.

I know, but Our Lady said we must say it daily, so we must. What about St Alphonsus? A doctor of the church, and one of the best, IMO. He was of the same opinion. He wrote books on it. Why would he write a book if it was not importantr?
(03-31-2010, 06:34 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I know, but Our Lady said we must say it daily, so we must. What about St Alphonsus? A doctor of the church, and one of the best, IMO. He was of the same opinion. He wrote books on it. Why would he write a book if it was not importantr?

Those are, at best, very strong recommendations. I don't think even a private revelation can change that; only a precept of the Church can.
Well, I guess it come down to faith. I have a feeling that you pray so the arguments were not aganist you. But I remember reading somewhere that a lady saint in a locution to someone said that she would return to earth in order to say just 1 more Ave, if she could, thats how great and meritious it would be.
(03-31-2010, 06:51 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Well, I guess it come down to faith. I have a feeling that you pray so the arguments were not aganist you. But I remember reading somewhere that a lady saint in a locution to someone said that she would return to earth in order to say just 1 more Ave, if she could, thats how great and meritious it would be.

I think we all agree that the Rosary is strongly recommended and it will help people greatly to say it and it will aid in their salvation and please Christ. :)
I'm a life-long Catholic and had rarely, if ever, prayed the Rosary. I never liked it. But a few months ago (February 6th to be exact), I heard a still, small voice say, "turn off the radio, go sit in the rocker, and talk to me." For the first time I was drawn to say the Rosary. Where have you been all my life?!?!! Since February 6th I have not missed saying one Rosary.. I discovered a hidden pearl, and receive unbelievable graces. I don't know what happened.. but suddenly I love the Rosary. I am 54 years old!! So it's never too late! LOL
(03-31-2010, 07:31 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I'm a life-long Catholic and had rarely, if ever, prayed the Rosary. I never liked it. But a few months ago (February 6th to be exact), I heard a still, small voice say, "turn off the radio, go sit in the rocker, and talk to me." For the first time I was drawn to say the Rosary. Where have you been all my life?!?!! Since February 6th I have not missed saying one Rosary.. I discovered a hidden pearl, and receive unbelievable graces. I don't know what happened.. but suddenly I love the Rosary. I am 54 years old!! So it's never too late! LOL

Yeah, I don't give up on it completely, because like you and INP point out there are all kinds of graces and even temporal blessings in doing it.  But the Dominican one is really hard for me to concentrate on.  Usually I need a Rosary book with a picture of the mystery to look at to even come close.  Maybe I have ADHD or something....

The Servite one I do better on, I think because the emotions of sorrow associated with it help me focus.

BTW, my opinion on what happened is mom (the BVM) gave you a loving smack in the head.  That's how I started taking Catholicism seriously back when - through the Rosary.
How about a cd or casette of it to play in the car or when in the house or garage, pray along with it that way......
(03-31-2010, 07:36 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 07:31 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I'm a life-long Catholic and had rarely, if ever, prayed the Rosary. I never liked it. But a few months ago (February 6th to be exact), I heard a still, small voice say, "turn off the radio, go sit in the rocker, and talk to me." For the first time I was drawn to say the Rosary. Where have you been all my life?!?!! Since February 6th I have not missed saying one Rosary.. I discovered a hidden pearl, and receive unbelievable graces. I don't know what happened.. but suddenly I love the Rosary. I am 54 years old!! So it's never too late! LOL

Yeah, I don't give up on it completely, because like you and INP point out there are all kinds of graces and even temporal blessings in doing it.  But the Dominican one is really hard for me to concentrate on.  Usually I need a Rosary book with a picture of the mystery to look at to even come close.  Maybe I have ADHD or something....

The Servite one I do better on, I think because the emotions of sorrow associated with it help me focus.

I think my problem was concentration too. The Divine Mercy chaplet was easier for me.. precisely because it was shorter and I could create my own "mysteries" as it were, which focused on the Passion. Of course, the DM chaplet is said on the Rosary, so while the number of prayers are the same, the prayer itself is shorter.

Also, I have a Sacred Heart chaplet that has fewer beads and shorter prayers, not even prayers - aspirations really. Until I fell in love with the Rosary, I used to say the Sacred Heart chaplet a lot.
(03-31-2010, 07:36 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: BTW, my opinion on what happened is mom (the BVM) gave you a loving smack in the head.  That's how I started taking Catholicism seriously back when - through the Rosary.

Oh most definitely! And it's happened before! lol. I don't mind letting MOM have the last word. ;-)