Divine Mercy Sunday
(03-31-2010, 07:38 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: How about a cd or casette of it to play in the car or when in the house or garage, pray along with it that way......

Well, that might help some, but not me.  The problem is I start thinking about the meanings of the aves and paters, which is pious and all, but the point of the Rosary is to think about the mysteries while saying the aves and paters.  That's why I need a picture or something....  I suppose if I had a cd of someone talking about the Mystery while I prayed the decade that would help....

I tend to lack meditative imagination in general. Being an engineer and all, my brain tends not to work that way.  However, I am extremely empathetic which is why the Sorrows of the Servite Rosary seems to work for me to keep me focused.  I'm focused emotionally even if not by means of my imagination.
Well maybe thats the one for you. But, we must all say it daily
(03-31-2010, 08:25 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Well maybe thats the one for you. But, we must all say it daily

No, there is no "must" unless the Church says there is.  And the Servite Rosary doesn't fulfill any requirements or indulgences attached to the Dominican one anyhow.  It's not a substitute for it.

When I was first trying to get accustomed to praying the entire Rosary at once I made a "movie" on my computer with ten different scenes for each mystery, appropriate music and ten synonyms (based on St.LdM) for the "thought" behind the mystery I was meditating on that I put as captions to the pictures. I used that for maybe a week and a half and I was able to focus even without it.
(03-31-2010, 10:15 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: When I was first trying to get accustomed to praying the entire Rosary at once I made a "movie" on my computer with ten different scenes for each mystery, appropriate music and ten synonyms (based on St.LdM) for the "thought" behind the mystery I was meditating on that I put as captions to the pictures. I used that for maybe a week and a half and I was able to focus even without it.

That's a great idea.  If there isn't something like that on YouTube already, you should convert yours and upload it.
(03-31-2010, 08:09 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 07:38 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: How about a cd or casette of it to play in the car or when in the house or garage, pray along with it that way......

Well, that might help some, but not me.  The problem is I start thinking about the meanings of the aves and paters, which is pious and all, but the point of the Rosary is to think about the mysteries while saying the aves and paters.  That's why I need a picture or something....  I suppose if I had a cd of someone talking about the Mystery while I prayed the decade that would help....

I tend to lack meditative imagination in general. Being an engineer and all, my brain tends not to work that way.  However, I am extremely empathetic which is why the Sorrows of the Servite Rosary seems to work for me to keep me focused.  I'm focused emotionally even if not by means of my imagination.

you might like a DVD of the Rosary.  i bought one that's said in Latin by a priest, for practicing my Latin.  it has good visuals and some pretty nice background music that's not too obtrusive.  it's also available in English on DVD and on CD in both Latin and English.  there could be one available that discusses the mysteries in English but i haven't seen one.  it's good to have a DVD or CD when you're having a distractible day; following along with the priest keeps you on track and makes it easier to focus on the mysteries.  i can usually visualize the mysteries without problems but i decided to get the whole deal, visuals as well as audio.  it's a help on days when i'm trying to concentrate and -- oh, look!  a bird!  :)

(03-31-2010, 01:09 PM)mike6240 Wrote: I don't do the Divine Mercy because the way I have seen others pray the devotion makes me ill.  I'm sorry if this sounds inconsiderate of others.  To me, the Divine Mercy feminizes Jesus beyond the pale.  The prayers of the devotion are childish, infantile, girlish and are almost always recited in that sicky-sweet pablum tone of voice. Another beef I have with the devotion is the portraits of the Divine Mercy - portraying Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior as a bearded woman.  I've seen some horrendous and tacky statues and pictures of Jesus Christ in my life, but to me, the Divine Mercy image is borderline blasphemy.

If others find the Divine Mercy devotion spiritually fulfilling, wonderful.  But for me, I'll stick with the Sacred Heart devotion.

i never found this to be the case. Sure, people say it in a wierd tone of voice that is quite annoying, but i just say it myself in a monotone
(04-01-2010, 10:17 PM)karyn_anne Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 01:09 PM)mike6240 Wrote: I don't do the Divine Mercy because the way I have seen others pray the devotion makes me ill.  I'm sorry if this sounds inconsiderate of others.  To me, the Divine Mercy feminizes Jesus beyond the pale.  The prayers of the devotion are childish, infantile, girlish and are almost always recited in that sicky-sweet pablum tone of voice. Another beef I have with the devotion is the portraits of the Divine Mercy - portraying Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior as a bearded woman.  I've seen some horrendous and tacky statues and pictures of Jesus Christ in my life, but to me, the Divine Mercy image is borderline blasphemy.

If others find the Divine Mercy devotion spiritually fulfilling, wonderful.  But for me, I'll stick with the Sacred Heart devotion.

i never found this to be the case. Sure, people say it in a wierd tone of voice that is quite annoying, but i just say it myself in a monotone

I've seen it prayed on EWTN before where it sounds like Gregorian chant and then the next day I tuned in to watch it it was a rock band playing while they were praying it go figure.
When is that? At three in the afternoon (that's almost garcia-lorcaish) they play the Divine Mercy Chaplet, but there are two different versions of it.
For those that do this devotion here is a reminder that today is the day.