Divine Mercy Sunday
(04-12-2010, 03:58 PM)JamieF Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 01:17 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-30-2010, 11:04 AM)amasimp Wrote: A lot of trads are against the Divine Mercy devotion for a few reasons:

I'm not attributing these to you, but I think a few of those reasons are goofy:

Quote:1.  The seeming replacement of the Octave Sunday of Easter with a Sunday celebration dictated by a private revelation

This one is the only compelling one.  But, it is not insurmountable.  The Church dictates holy days, days of obligation, etc.  It is within her capacity to add anything at any time, and she certainly has.  It certainly makes one wonder about the veracity of the revelation, but it's not like it's a sign of the Antichrist for the Church to change the liturgical calendar even during Easter; it's happened in history.  What's different is that this is a private revelation that could conflict with the traditional and rightful honor given to Easter.  But, it doesn't have to.  It could be folded into the Paschal Celebration eventually as honoring the Mercy of Christ given to us via His Sacrifice on the Cross.

Quote:2.  St. Faustina's diary used to be on the Index of Forbidden Books

So was poem of the Man-God which was recommended by the SSPX at one point.  Also, St. Joan of Arc was once an heretic.  The index and excommunication are not infallible.   Popes can add and remove books and also adjudicate and remit excommunications as they see fit and it is temporally binding even if it is incorrect.  When they say it is out, it is out.  When they say it is OK, it is OK at least in the general sense.  Of course, we shouldn't commit sins against conscience if we think something to be wrong; but at the same time, we should be really careful if we want to convince others it is wrong.

Quote:3.  The devotion was promulgated by JPII so it has a "guilt by association" impression attached to it.

That's just contrarianism.  JP2 also said no women priests, so from "guilt by association" all trads should join womynpriests.

And there's nothing for anyone to be against anyhow.  It was a private revelation and not binding.  If one doesn't believe, well, OK.  'nuff said.  I won't argue for them to believe.  I won't even argue for someone to believe in Fatima, and I believe wholeheartedly in that.  I'll just put the information in front of them and ask them to consider it.

In your third point you are not being intellectually honest.  The original quote about guilt by association doesn't mean "if JPII says X, then Y is true" - it means "If JPII says X, then we must check it against tradition".    Women priests does not hold up against tradition.

Yes, that is indeed what I meant.
(04-12-2010, 01:37 AM)Walty Wrote: It's nice to see some other people have a really hard time with the rosary.  I still to this day do not understand how one focuses on the mysteries and the prayers at the same time.  I always end up feeling like I'm playing with a chinese finger trap for my mind. 

Why is it good to see other people have a hard time saying the rosary? Whats so good about that?
I like saying it. Think of it like this: your place in Heaven is raised each time you say it. One of the famous female saints, I dont remember who, said she would return to earth and undergo hardships if she could just say 1 more Ave, thats how meritious it would be.
I myself have difficulties with the meditation and not getting distracted during my Rosary. That doesn't stop me from saying it though. Jesus and Mary know my heart and they know my intentions. We are human and no one can help but be distracted to some degree. But it is the Devil who wants you to use these distractions as reasons not to say your Rosary. It is very difficult for someone to make it to Heaven without saying the Rosary and it's almost impossible for someone to make it to Heaven if you have an aversion towards the Rosary of Our Lady.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly and St Alphonus said the same thing. St Alphonus, doctor of the church. If your distracted, go to a dark quiet place and say it. You might get more graces for trying harder.
(04-12-2010, 05:01 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I myself have difficulties with the meditation and not getting distracted during my Rosary. That doesn't stop me from saying it though. Jesus and Mary know my heart and they know my intentions. We are human and no one can help but be distracted to some degree. But it is the Devil who wants you to use these distractions as reasons not to say your Rosary. It is very difficult for someone to make it to Heaven without saying the Rosary and it's almost impossible for someone to make it to Heaven if you have an aversion towards the Rosary of Our Lady.

If it's so vitally important, why isn't it the official prayer of the Church and why isn't it required to be prayed daily by the faithful?

I understand the vast importance of the rosary, however, don't you think that perhaps your last sentence would make more sense if you substituted "praying the rosary" with "frequent attendance at Mass"?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm wrong.
(04-12-2010, 05:01 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I myself have difficulties with the meditation and not getting distracted during my Rosary. That doesn't stop me from saying it though. Jesus and Mary know my heart and they know my intentions. We are human and no one can help but be distracted to some degree. But it is the Devil who wants you to use these distractions as reasons not to say your Rosary. It is very difficult for someone to make it to Heaven without saying the Rosary and it's almost impossible for someone to make it to Heaven if you have an aversion towards the Rosary of Our Lady.

if it's very difficult for someone to make it to Heaven without saying the Rosary, why didn't Jesus tell us to say it?   the Dominican Rosary didn't come along until the 12th century or so, meaning Catholics did not have it for roughly eleven centuries.  are they all in Hell or still in Purgatory because Mary hadn't appeared to anyone and given the Rosary yet?  

the Dominican Rosary, the Servite Rosary, the Sacred Heart Devotion, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and many others, are private devotions based on private revelations.  they can be helpful to one's faith but not everyone includes them in their prayer life and you can worship Jesus and venerate Mary without using those specific devotions.  if there's one place you can legitimately be a cafeteria Catholic, it's in private devotions.  you don't get to choose whether you believe in what the Nicene Creed says, whether you believe Church dogmas, whether you should attend Mass, etc., but you can choose your private devotions.