Local parish priest calls attack on the church/Pope "The New Anti-Semitism"
Our parish priest (NO - we're in Vermont! But he's working toward offering the EF) keeps an occasionally updated blog.  One of his more recent posts is entitled "The New Anti-Semitism," which he wrote after reading the awful Christopher Hitchens article on Slate.com ("The Great Catholic Coverup").

Here's the blog post:

http://owloftheremove.blogspot.com/2010/...itism.html

"The vile Christopher Hitchens who, if he was writing about Jews or Black people would never be published and, in fact, would probably be prosecuted, has written a vicious, demented and demonic attack on the Pope on Slate.com. It struck me that, even though some would think that I have finally lost my marbles, Catholics, at least in some parts of Europe, but also in some parts of the USA that resemble Europe in their aggressive secularism, are experiencing gradually but perceptibly, what Jewish people experienced in the years leading up to the Holocaust. Absurd, say the naive, well-meaning fools who cannot fathom evil until it gasses six million. Just look at the language of the Hitchens article (actually don't - take my word for it - it's horrible). He is far from unusual. Cashing a check at the bank recently, I noticed the bank clerk looking at the check, the Church name on the cheque (British English), my name (identifying me as priest) - there was a coldness that I can only put down to hostility to the Catholic Church. I may have been wrong, but as I left, I immediately thought of the experiences of Jews in Germany in the 1930's - how little acts of hostility gradually became open contempt and then, finally, legalized persecution. Insane - persecution complex? I don't know - but look at the language of the intelligentsia which hates everything the Church stands for with a passion which is, indeed, demonic. "
All I would say is that we should be careful about playing the victim here.  There is plenty of time to come for real persecution of Catholics.  There will be blood.  A sideways glance at the bank does not equate with persecution.  Sounds to me like the blog author has been listening to too much whining by other "oppressed" minorities.  Most of the damage to the Church right now is coming from the inside.  Benedict XVI needs to gouge out that cancer.  Once that happens, I can envision real persecution happening.