Our Lady, a Jewish mother?
Well since you're not, wouldn't you agree that this must be resolved at the top, so the proper solution flows down to us in the pews? And since we have no authority in this, shouldn't we cling to what came before and was handed down to us? I think it is that simple and those that offer the TLM and catechize as before should be attracting many, but it ain't happening. I think it is high time to check our own selves out. Why hasn't their been a tidal wave of Catholics returning to Tradition? Why isn't it that HH Pope Benedict XVI could turn to the exponential growth of the  Priesthood of Tradition to solve this problem? I think it is the unattractive bickering and constant assessing of every one in the Traditional Movement's position, and then calling them modernist, or liberal, or neo-cath.,  or anathema sit. That's all I can figure, my little brain is tired.
tim.

(03-31-2010, 01:42 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Is it "judaizing" to refer to the Blessed Virgin Mary as a Jewish mother?

This thread is a spinoff of another thread (http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...578.0.html).
Is it "antisemitism" to say she isn't?
(03-31-2010, 02:12 PM)Anastasia Wrote: People will be saying Christ was jewish, next. Imagine!
/sarcasm off/
I don't see how......he was concieved by the Holy Spirit. Unless he's a Jew too.

I guess the Trinity is now Jewish.

This is ridiculous.
(03-31-2010, 08:13 PM)alaric Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 02:12 PM)Anastasia Wrote: People will be saying Christ was jewish, next. Imagine!
/sarcasm off/
I don't see how......he was concieved by the Holy Spirit. Unless he's a Jew too.

This is ridiculous.

You're forgetting his mother... who is Jewish. Are you denying Christ's humanity?
(03-31-2010, 02:13 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Our Lady is assumed soul and body into heaven, and with all her ethnicity and Hebraic identity. She is what she was and always will be. She no longer practices Old Testament Judaism, but she is still a Jewish mother, of the lineage and house of David. She regards all her children as "the seed of Abraham" - as proclaimed in her Magnificat.
She is referring in a spiritual sense.

What's this obsession with believeing that BVM will be some kind of Yiddish mom for all eternity?

How can BVM be mother to us all if she maintains her "jewishness" in heaven?

That is not a good scenario in my book.
Mary is Jewish. She is a mother. Ergo, Mary is a Jewish mother.
(03-31-2010, 08:16 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 08:13 PM)alaric Wrote:
/sarcasm off/

This is ridiculous.

You're forgetting his mother... who is Jewish. Are you denying Christ's humanity?
I'm denying she was a Jew as we know them today. Yes. unequivocally.
(03-31-2010, 08:19 PM)Credo Wrote: Mary is Jewish. She is a mother. Ergo, Mary is a Jewish mother.
I believe she was a Hebrew ethnically no?

There were Hebrews and then there were/are Jews.

There is a difference I believe.

(03-31-2010, 08:18 PM)alaric Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 02:13 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Our Lady is assumed soul and body into heaven, and with all her ethnicity and Hebraic identity. She is what she was and always will be. She no longer practices Old Testament Judaism, but she is still a Jewish mother, of the lineage and house of David. She regards all her children as "the seed of Abraham" - as proclaimed in her Magnificat.
She is referring in a spiritual sense.

What's this obsession with believeing that BVM will be some kind of Yiddish mom for all eternity?

How can BVM be mother to us all if she maintains her "jewishness" in heaven?

That is not a good scenario in my book.

The "spiritual sense" of the seed of Abraham is exactly what I was referring to. Who said anything about Yiddish? Mary has a human identity. So does Christ. They maintain their human identity in heaven, and indeed for all of eternity, just as we will when we rise again from the dead.

Some people point to St. Paul in Galatians who said that in Christ there is no Jew or Greek. This means that all share equal dignity in Christ. But this does not mean we will lose our ethnicity in the New Creation. St. Paul also says there is no male or female. Will we lose our gender in the next world? What makes you think we will lose our ethnicity?
alaric Wrote:There were Hebrews and then there were/are Jews.

I believe all 12 tribes together were considered Hebrews, while members of the single tribe of Judah were known as Jews. Since Christ is called "the lion of the tribe of Judah," one can only presume he belongs to that tribe, as did his parents.