Our Lady, a Jewish mother?
Alaric, the disciple you asked about was Nathanael and you can find this reference at the end of the first chapter of the gospel of St. John. Granted, in the Douay-Rheims translation, which is still new to me, the word used is "Israelite"; I have read it as "Jew," I think in the New American version.
(03-31-2010, 06:06 PM)timoose Wrote: Well since you're not, wouldn't you agree that this must be resolved at the top, so the proper solution flows down to us in the pews? And since we have no authority in this, shouldn't we cling to what came before and was handed down to us? I think it is that simple and those that offer the TLM and catechize as before should be attracting many, but it ain't happening. I think it is high time to check our own selves out. Why hasn't their been a tidal wave of Catholics returning to Tradition? Why isn't it that HH Pope Benedict XVI could turn to the exponential growth of the  Priesthood of Tradition to solve this problem? I think it is the unattractive bickering and constant assessing of every one in the Traditional Movement's position, and then calling them modernist, or liberal, or neo-cath.,  or anathema sit. That's all I can figure, my little brain is tired.
tim.

Your assessment of the situation with Trads (whoever they are) notwithstanding, the philosophia perennis is the way the schoolmen of old has trained Its laity and Its priests.  I don't need to be a priest to lament the fact that modernists have gutted the schools, nor do I need to be a genius to understand that it happened.
(03-31-2010, 10:16 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 09:56 PM)Anthem Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 09:36 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Well, I've seen lots of trads that have a bumperstick that reads "My boss is a Jewish Carpenter."  :shrug:

I've seen that on prottie bumpers, but never on any Catholic bumper; I belong to a very large parish.  But then, I know so few traditional Catholics locally that my sample would not be scientifically valid with regard to traditional Catholics.  Of course, I think bumper stickers are stupid anyway, but what do I know?  My bumper sticker might read something like "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus", but I don't want to cause a ruckus.

Most SSPX priests, I hope, would have gotten EXACTLY the same treatment meted out to Father Leonard Feeney in 1947, if memory serves, when he was being hauled intio ++Cushing's office for making too many converts of the posh students at Harvard.

It's amazing to me to this day that ++Cushing once told the Slaves that if they converted everyone in Massachusetts to the Catholic Faith that they wouldn't have room for them all; but then, I have met a lot of Bishops and they're not always chosen as much for their orthodoxy and intelligence as they are for their adherence to the spirit of the age... 

This is an SSPX chapel.  An EENS one would go over well there, too.   :)

But, yeah, I hate bumperstickers personally.  I would never have one.

Most SSPX priests would receive the same treatment from +Cushing that Father Feeney received when the Cardinal decided that Father was becoming too successful at converting Jews and Episcopalians at Harvard to the Catholic Faith.
(03-31-2010, 05:38 PM)Satori Wrote:
(03-31-2010, 03:08 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote:
Quote:Don't let heretics with superiority complexes prevent you from saying something true!

Where does this come from?

I didn't mean you, if that's what you're wondering. I meant Rosalind Moss, who referred to Hebrew Catholics as "the chosen people within the chosen people."

Oh sorry Satori! I had an inkling you were referring to Moss. But I sometimes think I'm a heretic with a superiority complex so I wasn't sure.
(04-01-2010, 12:16 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: But I sometimes think I'm a heretic with a superiority complex so I wasn't sure.

An heretic with a superiority complex is redundant - heretics by definition think themselves above the Church.

Why would you think you're an heretic?  I've never seen you say anything heretical...
Well, Jesus was conceived without sex and he was perfect, taught in the temple; it's every Jewish mother's wish!
(04-01-2010, 12:40 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-01-2010, 12:16 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: But I sometimes think I'm a heretic with a superiority complex so I wasn't sure.

An heretic with a superiority complex is redundant - heretics by definition think themselves above the Church.

Why would you think you're an heretic?  I've never seen you say anything heretical...

I was just joking. Although in this day and age when everything is turned upside down I do sometimes worry that I'm not where I should be. Part of that "diabolical disorientation" Sr. Lucia spoke about.
The BVM ceased being a jew the moment she accepted to be the mother of God. Which means she believed in CHRIST as the messiah which means she was christian not jewish
(04-01-2010, 04:17 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: The BVM ceased being a jew the moment she accepted to be the mother of God. Which means she believed in CHRIST as the messiah which means she was christian not jewish

Actually that would only have made her a Christian-Jew.
jew only by race not by creed. u cant change your race. this thread isn't about race unless im wrong. can one change their race? if the answer is no that means we are talking about creed. and she was not a jew when she accepted to be the Holy Mother