Bob Dylan's Jewish Influence
indeed
never thought he could. though dyaln cant even touch santanas tacos
They are 2 wannabees
Here I am mostly Irish and my fav is a Brit. Go figure.
Of course, then theres Hendrix.....
I'd add Roy Buchanan, Peter Green, and Jerry Reed to that list. Why is Brian Wilson there?

Anyway, Dylan isn't known as a great guitarist so there's no reason to compare him to the guitar gods.
I was not necessarily going for guitar gods, although that tends to be my taste. Yes those you added are great. Wilson is just a genius in his own right. Although the Beach Boys are by no means musicial geniuses, their music  really was great. Here in Cali, everybody likes them. A time of simplicity, holding hands with your girl, all the simple good things is what they bring thoughts of.  A+W rootbear drive in with the .15 root beer. The beach. Lions drag strip. (you have would had to be there to appreciate that one). Sat nite cruises in the hot rod. Thats why. Not guitar prowess. It was a So Cal thing. Now Cali sucks. Just brings ya back to when Cali was great. And it was for a while....now, I'm planning my escape. Gotta.

Did you know John Lennon (not one of my faves to be sure) said that the inspiration for Sgt Pepper came from that album Brian Wilson released in '66. I cant remember the name. Lennon himself stated Wilson was a genius. He was always plauged with mental issues. No tellin what he could have done.

Add Mick Taylor to the list also. Best lead guitarist the Stones ever had. He left on his own, which says something positive about him, IMO.

As I said I like different music, not only guitar. But certainly guitar.  And Lee and Beck are the best by far, IMHO.
I really like a band called E.S. POSTHUMUS. You should check them out esp a song called NARA. Amazing.
I like bluegrass too. Real bluegrass, as in older. Flatt and Scruggs, Stuff like that.
And Flamenco. Carlos Montoya is maybe the best in Flamenco.

But if I'm feeling down, Alvin Lee, and he can really play the blues, can bring me out. And Beck. What can I say?
(04-05-2010, 09:26 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: I've never tried to get in to Santana. I only know his version of Black Magic Woman, but I much prefer Peter Green's original.

But Santana thinks Dylan is a genius, and has toured with him many times, so you must bow down to Dylan now. ;D
I don't know how you can attest to what Carlos Santana "thinks" especially about a fraud like Bob Zimmerman, but never the less, there is a huge talent gap between them.

I never once heard about Santana touring the country with Dylan, must've been a long time ago early in Carlos's career when he was doped up and hitched a ride to Dylan's junkie train.

Anyway, Santana put out some of the greatest performances on stage (or in the studio for that matter) that ol Bobby Z could only dream about.

There is no comparison here vince, if you really have an ear for music.
(04-06-2010, 02:02 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I was not necessarily going for guitar gods, although that tends to be my taste. Yes those you added are great. Wilson is just a genius in his own right. Although the Beach Boys are by no means musicial geniuses, their music  really was great. Here in Cali, everybody likes them. A time of simplicity, holding hands with your girl, all the simple good things is what they bring thoughts of.  A+W rootbear drive in with the .15 root beer. The beach. Lions drag strip. (you have would had to be there to appreciate that one). Sat nite cruises in the hot rod. Thats why. Not guitar prowess. It was a So Cal thing. Now Cali sucks. Just brings ya back to when Cali was great. And it was for a while....now, I'm planning my escape. Gotta.

Did you know John Lennon (not one of my faves to be sure) said that the inspiration for Sgt Pepper came from that album Brian Wilson released in '66. I cant remember the name. Lennon himself stated Wilson was a genius. He was always plauged with mental issues. No tellin what he could have done.

Add Mick Taylor to the list also. Best lead guitarist the Stones ever had. He left on his own, which says something positive about him, IMO.

As I said I like different music, not only guitar. But certainly guitar.  And Lee and Beck are the best by far, IMHO.
I really like a band called E.S. POSTHUMUS. You should check them out esp a song called NARA. Amazing.
I like bluegrass too. Real bluegrass, as in older. Flatt and Scruggs, Stuff like that.

But if I'm feeling down, Alvin Lee, and he can really play the blues, can bring me out. And Beck. What can I say?

Oh yeah Mick Taylor was there during the best years, and it seems he was ripped off a bit.

I love the Beach Boys! See here: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...915.0.html Brian Wilson was a genius, no doubt about it. George Martin has said many times that Pet Sounds was a direct inspiration for Sgt. Peppers. If you like the Beach Boys, have you ever heard the Zombies Odessey and Oracle? I've gotten into it lately and it's an amazing pop record.

I've never gotten into bluegrass. Went to a few festivals when I was a kid. I love Dueling Banjos and the score that Flatts and Scruggs composed for Bonnie and Clyde, but that's about as close to bluegrass as I get.

I'll have to check out  E.S. POSTHUMUS. Never gotten into Lee, but I've heard some of Beck's stuff and I can't complain about him on the virtuosity front, but the guy has bad taste. There are a lot of virtuoso guitarists I can't stand, like Steve Vai and Al Di Meola. I'll take Fogerty over those two.

(04-06-2010, 02:39 PM)alaric Wrote:
(04-05-2010, 09:26 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: I've never tried to get in to Santana. I only know his version of Black Magic Woman, but I much prefer Peter Green's original.

But Santana thinks Dylan is a genius, and has toured with him many times, so you must bow down to Dylan now. ;D
I don't know how you can attest to what Carlos Santana "thinks" especially about a fraud like Bob Zimmerman, but never the less, there is a huge talent gap between them.

I never once heard about Santana touring the country with Dylan, must've been a long time ago early in Carlos's career when he was doped up and hitched a ride to Dylan's junkie train.

Anyway, Santana put out some of the greatest performances on stage (or in the studio for that matter) that ol Bobby Z could only dream about.

There is no comparison here vince, if you really have an ear for music.

I don't think he has done full tours with Dylan, but he's played with him many times. There are clips on YouTube of them playing together. Bob Dylan has sucked since Blood on the Tracks, but from 1962-1975 the guy produced many classic records and songs. Was Dylan pretentious? Yes. Were his lyrics sometimes nonsensical? Yes. Was his image offputting? Yes. But he's still great. You will one day realize this and come back to this thread and give him his props.

(04-06-2010, 03:26 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote:
(04-06-2010, 02:02 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: I was not necessarily going for guitar gods, although that tends to be my taste. Yes those you added are great. Wilson is just a genius in his own right. Although the Beach Boys are by no means musicial geniuses, their music  really was great. Here in Cali, everybody likes them. A time of simplicity, holding hands with your girl, all the simple good things is what they bring thoughts of.  A+W rootbear drive in with the .15 root beer. The beach. Lions drag strip. (you have would had to be there to appreciate that one). Sat nite cruises in the hot rod. Thats why. Not guitar prowess. It was a So Cal thing. Now Cali sucks. Just brings ya back to when Cali was great. And it was for a while....now, I'm planning my escape. Gotta.

Oh yeah Mick Taylor was there during the best years, and it seems he was ripped off a bit.

I love the Beach Boys! See here: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...915.0.html Brian Wilson was a genius, no doubt about it. George Martin has said many times that Pet Sounds was a direct inspiration for Sgt. Peppers. If you like the Beach Boys, have you ever heard the Zombies Odessey and Oracle? I've gotten into it lately and it's an amazing pop record.

I've never gotten into bluegrass. Went to a few festivals when I was a kid. I love Dueling Banjos and the score that Flatts and Scruggs composed for Bonnie and Clyde, but that's about as close to bluegrass as I get.

I'll have to check out  E.S. POSTHUMUS. Never gotten into Lee, but I've heard some of Beck's stuff and I can't complain about him on the virtuosity front, but the guy has bad taste. There are a lot of virtuoso guitarists I can't stand, like Steve Vai and Al Di Meola. I'll take Fogerty over those two.

Forgerty of course. Not a great guttarist, but he has outlasted many greats. Always good. Their version of Grapevine (long version) is a classic) And Run thru the jungle. If you like great guitar, check out ten years after live in the late 60's from the Fillmore East. You can buy a cd of it on ebay. He does a 10 minute solo on "Help Me" that is just incredible. He plays long solos that make you ask "how did he do that"
I like Mark farner of Grand Funk railroad too. Not a great guitarist, but a great band. Maybe the most enigeratic band I ever saw.
I'd like to know what you think about ES Posthumus. Different very inspiring music.
About Dylan: His first albums were the good ones. He never was nor never will be a good guitar player, but some of his early songs were indeed prophetic, esp considering where we are today. I saw an interview with Hendrix girlfriend, and she said he listened to him a lot, and was always telling her listen to this part, listen to that part. Maybe it should have been the other way around.
(04-06-2010, 03:56 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Forgerty of course. Not a great guttarist, but he has outlasted many greats. Always good. Their version of Grapevine (long version) is a classic) And Run thru the jungle. If you like great guitar, check out ten years after live in the late 60's from the Fillmore East. You can buy a cd of it on ebay. He does a 10 minute solo on "Help Me" that is just incredible. He plays long solos that make you ask "how did he do that"
I like Mark farner of Grand Funk railroad too. Not a great guitarist, but a great band. Maybe the most enigeratic band I ever saw.
I'd like to know what you think about ES Posthumus. Different very inspiring music.
About Dylan: His first albums were the good ones. He never was nor never will be a good guitar player, but some of his early songs were indeed prophetic, esp considering where we are today. I saw an interview with Hendrix girlfriend, and she said he listened to him a lot, and was always telling her listen to this part, listen to that part. Maybe it should have been the other way around.

And don't forget Ramble Tamble. Fogerty is a great composer, as opposed to a virtuoso. He knows what he can do and what he can't do and plays to his strengths. Many of my favorite guitarists aren't virtuosos, like Fogerty and Willie Nelson. I'd like to see Willie Nelson record an album of instrumentals. I think his acoustic guitar playing is nearly equal to that of his vocal and songwriting gifts.

What do you mean Dylan's first albums? I like everything he did up to and including Nashville Skyline. The early 70's were lean years, but he released one more masterpiece with Blood on the Tracks in '75.

I just listened to some E.S. Posthumus stuff on YouTube. Not really my cup of tea. But I have Ten Years After Live at Filmore in my collection (never listened to it until now), and you're right about that solo on Help me. That's going to make a nice addition to my favorite guitar solos playlist.
Speaking of great guitar playing, I recently got a Santo and Johnny album and am hooked on their instrumental of Summertime (tell me what you think):

Jimmy Page likes this: http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2010/01/j...rd_14.html