Bob Dylan's Jewish Influence
I forgot Santo and Johnny. I was thinking mainly the 60's type after the Brit invasion, but yeah, thats valid too. In that era I also liked the Ventures (I'm from Cali, remember) and Dick Dale, the surf guitar sound. Dick Dale lives in my town. Has played a couple summer free park concets, but he's about done. In his day he was alright, not killer, but OK. In that era, its hard to beat some of the black blues guitarists

Ramble tamble of course. I like Center field too. Your right, he does not try to exceed his limits. Others should remember that. We forgot the lead player from Aerosmith. He is one of the better ones. We like a lot of the same, but also dont like some too. Thats good. I dont like Willie Nelson, but Hank Williams is classic.  I do like ES Posthumus yes its different. I am not into country except some of the early stuff. Like Barf Crooks, errr Garth Brooks, you couldnt pay me to see him. To each his own. I also like the Marty Robbins Gunfighter ballads and trail songs. I heard a modern group do one of his songs a couple times, Big Iron, they were good, I dont know who they are.

If you listen to a lot of Ten Years After or Alvin Lee in any form, esp live, you will come to realize that he just may be the best. I have seen him 7 or 8 times and he just gets better and better. Rock, blues, jam. If you notice when he plays with other guitarists, they kind of let him take over, it would happen anyway. There are other amazing solos on the Fillmore Album, and he's excellent playing Chuck Berry. Play his version of Roll over Beathoven and then the Beatles back to back, no comparrison. I never saw him play with Clapton, Clapton knows better. Gotta keep that rep in tact, eh Eric?  One other you tube, check the Live version of Cause we've ended as lovers at Claptons guitar festival in Texas 2005 I think. Beck goes places few others can on that song.
Many speak on Dylans musical ability and voice. Not great tributes to the musical world. What is a tribute is the fact that he is lyrical genius.  His gift is in his ability to captivate through his message on a feeling level. He came to us in a time of turmoil and perpetual change in this country. Most of his writting reflects this. Its Alright Ma, Times They Are-A-Changin, Blowin in the Wind etc. And it continues on and on.  Certainly very gifted. Though I had seen him play with the Band in Waterbury CT at the Palace. Just a very good place to see a show. They were really terrible live.  I listened to Dylan very little after that.  Though he would release something now and again that interesed me. The Rubin Carter situation I found interesting and Blood on the Tracks I found to be great. Anyway just my opinion.

The actual music isn't difficult to follow if you are a student of music and the guitar. But then again other artist like John Lee Hooker and others from the Delta made a living on little more than 3-chord melodys.  Its not the complexity of the music. Its really the message coming at the exact time that people are looking for the guidance.

if you think about Nickleback for a moment. Look at their success. Yet they are not a great Rock and Roll band.  No musical genius in the band.  They just hit upon a formula in their lyrics that seriously captivates. They rarely play to an audience that isn't sold-out and that lyrical formula has continued to be a great success, year after year. Don't know that they will have the longitivity of Dylan, but my point is to show a similarity only in whats actually happening.

Wouldn't it be wonderfull if someone could come along and spread the word of Faith in such a successful way?

But great guitar playing? I grew up interested in guitar [still play today]. I began taking lessons in 67 and was playing with a band live by 69. Rock and Roll and Hendrix and Clapton and Santana were of great influence. Today I find my interest is in Blues guitar. Most of the better players I find playing THEIR.  MOF I released a track on YOU-TUBE if you punch in HAMER NEWPORT PRO and look at the post by GaryT1956 you see me playing a cut acapella, its one take, with no band RAW.  But check it out and it give you an idea of where I'm at musically. Square inbetween Rock and Blues and leaning toward the Blues line.

Yeah I don't like cosmopolitan country either. I like rootsy country like Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Flatlanders, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, etc.

I don't like TYA's version of Berry's classic. Combine the Beatles Roll Over Beethoven with Alvin Lee's guitar and we'll be getting somewhere. I don't like the vocalist. Alvin Lee is obviously the star of this band. BTW, Alvin Lee should have kept his real name: Dirk Thrust. I mean, c'mon, you've got to keep that name. That's much better than the generic "Alvin Lee."

Can you give me a link for the Beck video?
WoundedHealer,

I don't think I've ever heard Nickelback. I'll have to check them out. Any songs you recommend? I've never seen Dylan live, but I've seen clips of him live and he's not impressive. But he made great records, which is a different kind of accomplishment. I agree that his main strength was his lyrical genius.

Nice playing btw, and nice guitar. I've never had a desire to play electric guitar (I have an acoustic-electric Washburn) but I love to listen to electric guitar. Can you fingerpick electrics? Never learned how to use a pick.
(04-04-2010, 04:37 PM)Walty Wrote: Interesting read.  Bob Dylan is still Bob Dylan.  Girl from the North Country is like one of the best songs ever written.  The version on Freewheelin', obviously.

Yeah but he was born Robert Zimmerman, a Jew.
(04-12-2010, 06:07 AM)Arun Wrote:
(04-04-2010, 04:37 PM)Walty Wrote: Interesting read.  Bob Dylan is still Bob Dylan.  Girl from the North Country is like one of the best songs ever written.  The version on Freewheelin', obviously.

And...
(04-12-2010, 04:35 PM)Walty Wrote:

And...

Oh, I may have missed it if it was there, but it looked like it hadn't been mentioned yet. Felt it was relevant to the Dominican...  mean OP (I gotta get some new material lol).
Quoted ya cos you said Bob Dylan is still Bob Dylan. He may still be Dylan, but he wasn't always. Just used your quote as a point of reference really.
(04-12-2010, 05:51 PM)Arun Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 04:35 PM)Walty Wrote:

And...

Oh, I may have missed it if it was there, but it looked like it hadn't been mentioned yet. Felt it was relevant to the Dominican...  mean OP (I gotta get some new material lol).
Quoted ya cos you said Bob Dylan is still Bob Dylan. He may still be Dylan, but he wasn't always. Just used your quote as a point of reference really.

Got ya.  But he's certainly not a practicing Jew so I guess I'm still sort of confused as to why it matters.
Joni Mitchell agrees with alaric and DK! Sounds like sour grapes to me. ;)

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36741933/n...ent-music/