Proper attitude for a Catholic towards the pedophilia scandal?
(04-10-2010, 07:48 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: There is not one proper attitude; there are, in my opinion, several.  Oh, and by the way, they are "proper" because they are mine.   :laughing:

Compassion for the victims: 'nuff said.

Compassion for the perpetrators:  Yes, you can re-read that and it will still say the same thing.  Even a bunch of wretched, depraved, reprehensible, repellent kiddie-diddlers who are disgracing the Universal Church have souls that are individually precious to God.  These are disastrously broken men, and while hating the sin we have to remember that they are not beyond redemption......IF they repent.

Support and prayers for the Holy Father: who is being slanderously attacked by those who use this scandal as a club to fustigate him in general hatred of the Church and what it stands for.

Support and prayers for all the GOOD priests: who are unfairly tarred with the same brush, by association.

Repentance: in the same way that we all must make reparation for the sins of the world, e.g. abortion, musn't each of us to some extent offer prayers of repentance to God for this?

Shame:
kind of hard to hold your head up as a proud Catholic when the subject comes up.

Just my two cents.

Sounds like the high road to me. I appreciate the feedback.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Proper attitude for a Catholic towards the pedophilia scandal? - by WilfredLeblanc - 04-11-2010, 12:31 AM