Christ Assuming the Throne of the Papacy
(04-12-2010, 01:36 AM)Norbert Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 12:36 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 12:27 AM)Norbert Wrote: I had a theory that David would actually be the last pope during Christ's thousand year reign before the last judgement, but maybe that's just my former protestantism talking.
Sounds intriguing.  Could you elaborate?

Because David was the most featured king of Israel, "a man after god's own heart" and the most true king of Israel when it was truly under the Old Covenant, and because Christ draws much of his honor, status, "jewishness" and status as messiah and king of "the jews" from the lineage of that king (as prophesied multiple times throughout scripture), I always felt that if there was a need for a vicar, a right hand man, a "pope" in the thousand year reign, that David would sit in the chair.  Not in quite the same role of course, since Christ has come again and revealed himself to mankind, but as the "earthly king" of the new covenant, just as he was in the old: the right hand of the messiah who he prefigured.

But that is mostly just theorycrafting on my part, as I said.

Well, the Pharisees thought the Messiah would be in the form of a David who would rule like a temporal king and free them from oppression.  Of course Christ is that, but not in the manner they think.

At the second coming, of course, Christ will rule in exactly that way but also in the way He has - as a spiritual Messiah.  As far as a right hand man, well, your theory is as good as anyone's AFAIK.  Though, in some sense, the BVM is His "right hand mother" though of course not a priest.

I have a feeling though that she will be fairly hands-on just as she was at the wedding feast.  But, that's theorycrafting on my part. :)
(04-12-2010, 02:09 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 01:36 AM)Norbert Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 12:36 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(04-12-2010, 12:27 AM)Norbert Wrote: I had a theory that David would actually be the last pope during Christ's thousand year reign before the last judgement, but maybe that's just my former protestantism talking.
Sounds intriguing.  Could you elaborate?

Because David was the most featured king of Israel, "a man after god's own heart" and the most true king of Israel when it was truly under the Old Covenant, and because Christ draws much of his honor, status, "jewishness" and status as messiah and king of "the jews" from the lineage of that king (as prophesied multiple times throughout scripture), I always felt that if there was a need for a vicar, a right hand man, a "pope" in the thousand year reign, that David would sit in the chair.  Not in quite the same role of course, since Christ has come again and revealed himself to mankind, but as the "earthly king" of the new covenant, just as he was in the old: the right hand of the messiah who he prefigured.

But that is mostly just theorycrafting on my part, as I said.

Well, the Pharisees thought the Messiah would be in the form of a David who would rule like a temporal king and free them from oppression.  Of course Christ is that, but not in the manner they think.

At the second coming, of course, Christ will rule in exactly that way but also in the way He has - as a spiritual Messiah.  As far as a right hand man, well, your theory is as good as anyone's AFAIK.  Though, in some sense, the BVM is His "right hand mother" though of course not a priest.

I have a feeling though that she will be fairly hands-on just as she was at the wedding feast.  But, that's theorycrafting on my part. :)

Well of course Our Lady will play a big role no matter what.