Scholastic View of "Trans-Genderism"
Hi all.  I have recently been discussing the topic of so-called trans-genderism elsewhere and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers to information on a good scholastic viewpoint.  I guess I am looking for something that explains in terms of scholastic philosophy what specifically makes a person "male" and "female" - is it part of the essence of the person?  Also, what is the view on people who claim to have chromosomal disorders that make it appear that their body does not match their "essential gender" (so to speak).

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.  I have always been of the view that it is entirely a psychosis issue - but if there are chromosomal differences - how is this explained?  In other words, do some people NATURALLY have the wrong body for their gender?

Obviously if this is the correct view (wrong body for gender) - I presume the Church teachings on homosexuality would apply and that person shall not modify their body through surgery or live a cross-dresser and should abstain from all forms of sexual contact - correct?
Any opinions?
I find this curious as well.

Of Note:
Currently, in my far-leftist/hyper-progressive secular state university I currently have a class entitled, "Gender and Sexuality in European Society." The class examines "gender" and "sexual" norms of the Medieval era.  It covers everything from dowers and dowries to cross-dress, sodomites, hermaphrodites, etc. Unfortunately, I was stuck with the class. It is quite lamentable, although, I can say that I had my knowledge of medieval thought broaden [although, reasonably though, I am extremely cautious to take what the Far-leftist, Feminist, Pro-Sodomite Professor of mine says].
I do not know of any scholarly resources on this but I had a friend with abnormal chromosomes.  He was raised as a male well into adulthood, but then he needed a medication that had the side-effect of changing his hormone balance which brought out his feminine characteristics.  She decided that she actually felt more female than male and started living as a woman at that point.  My impression of this situation was that it was a medical disorder rather than a moral one.
There is a difference between a so-called transgendered person and someone who is genuinely sexually ambiguous because of a biological condition. Obviously the scholastics would have had no knowledge of the latter, but I don't see any reason why such people should be forced into some sort of weird half-life or unchosen celibacy because of a genetic problem. If it's something that can be fixed to a degree by surgery and/or artificial hormones, why not? Their situation doesn't seem different morally from that of someone with diabetes.
About a week ago, I read an article about two women being able to get married in Texas.  It turns out that one of them was born a hermaphrodite and the father decided to keep the baby male, so the birth certificate show this person as male.  As an adult, however, this person decided to reverse the decision and became female.  So she (?) was able to marry another girl because her documents said she was male.  How is this person morally responsible for not practicing homosexuality?  I'm curious to understand what God's purpose is for people with this dilemma.  I, as a woman, have always felt a woman and acted as a woman and have children as a woman and understand that my vocation was to become a wife and a mother, but someone like this...how do they know what God wants from them?