rosary info
Hello

I am new here on the forum, so I may have placed this subject in the wrong discussion column.  It is about the rosary and how it is prayed.  I have long prayed the rosary while meditating on the mysteries and always felt it was the proper way in which to give Our Lady the proper disposition .  I know that it is a devotion and not a form of prayer that is stated by the church as necessary for salvation (unlike the Mass) , per se, but is a sign of where your heart is.  I do know popes have stressed the importance of a well prayed rosary, in particular , the meditating on the mysteries vs. just praying with the words. Paul VI gives it the utmost importance in re to meditation, i.e. " a body without a soul" example. My question is about how it is prayed. Is there somewhere in church tradition that states to the effect, that there is no merit or very little,  in praying the rosary with just the words? I have recently run into someone who believes he can pray the rosary without the meditation or even without the proper attention and he still considers it most beneficial.  I believe the venue would make a difference too. If I try to pray while driving for instance, I just can't believe one can focus even on the words properly,  with the incredible distractions that accompany this procedure.  Why would anyone not want to give Our Lady the best and proper attention to something She says is the most worthwhile?

Some can mot meditate, others can. If you can, keep on meditating, the rest muddle on through as they can. I'm one of those they can't, but I keep sayin' my rosary. This is a web site on saying the rosary and it has lots on different ways.
http://www.ageofmary.com/ 
tim
I was probably able to meditate fully on the mysteries about 10 times out of the countless days I have prayed them... For some, their brain is in overdrive and it is very difficult to meditate like the previous poster had mentioned. Maybe if the world wasn't so confused and fast paced it would be a lot easier to meditate, but my mind wanders too much.
What is the efficacy of the Rosary if prayed with distraction, lack of concentration, etc.? 
(04-13-2010, 04:43 PM)Miquelot Wrote: What is the efficacy of the Rosary if prayed with distraction, lack of concentration, etc.? 
Like all things in the spiritual life, just giving lip service is of no use, Our Lord knows our hearts.
BUT if you are honestly trying to say the rosary and  meditate on the mysteries and are just not able to then I would say:

Praying the rosary would be of GREAT benefit to a soul in this type of case. Persevering in praying the rosary in spite of our weakness and distractions is to me a great sign of many virtues. Offering Our Lord and Our Lady a rosary said with great difficulty would be, IMO, a much sweater gift than offering one said with ease.
Our Lord is constantly sending us crosses, how can we preserver through any real hardships if we can't ever perserver through a rosary? Offering our own sufferings and difficulties to Our Lord is not only a noble and pious thing, but just what Our Lord commanded us to do when he said to take up our cross and follow Him. My thought is that if we can't manage the small crosses, we're going to be in grave danger when the big ones come. Just my two cents.

also the link tim gave, it's a great one!
(04-13-2010, 06:03 PM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(04-13-2010, 04:43 PM)Miquelot Wrote: What is the efficacy of the Rosary if prayed with distraction, lack of concentration, etc.? 
Like all things in the spiritual life, just giving lip service is of no use, Our Lord knows our hearts.
BUT if you are honestly trying to say the rosary and  meditate on the mysteries and are just not able to then I would say:

Praying the rosary would be of GREAT benefit to a soul in this type of case. Persevering in praying the rosary in spite of our weakness and distractions is to me a great sign of many virtues. Offering Our Lord and Our Lady a rosary said with great difficulty would be, IMO, a much sweater gift than offering one said with ease.
Our Lord is constantly sending us crosses, how can we preserver through any real hardships if we can't ever perserver through a rosary? Offering our own sufferings and difficulties to Our Lord is not only a noble and pious thing, but just what Our Lord commanded us to do when he said to take up our cross and follow Him. My thought is that if we can't manage the small crosses, we're going to be in grave danger when the big ones come. Just my two cents.

Very, very interesting... More times then not I try to say the Rosary while meditating, but its much harder then one thinks it is! I guess the distractions could be coming from the devil himself??

I was thinking the latter -- this article I once read resonated with me:

http://www.godspy.com/magazine/my-strugg...he-rosary/

I agree with timoose, Age of Mary is a wonderful site.

Scriptural rosary also helps aid meditation.
(04-13-2010, 06:19 PM)Miquelot Wrote:

I was thinking the latter -- this article I once read resonated with me:

http://www.godspy.com/magazine/my-strugg...he-rosary/
thanks for the link, good story!
I think too many people give up on the rosary cause they don't like it, or they can't meditate, or something.......bottom line for me is, Our Lady has repeatedly asked us to pray the rosary. She knows what a chump I am and how much I suck at meditating and how I get destructed, what's for dinner, and how I can't consentrate, and how I get distracted, but she asked me to pray the rosary anyway. The way I see it she asked me to pray the rosary BECAUSE of those things not in spite of them. Our Lady can help us defeat these things, even if it takes a lifetime. Plus being Catholic isn't for quiters! My thoughts, take em or leave em.
Hey Ralphy baby you hit the nail on the head. We ain't perfect so we need to on keep on pluggin' and we will get better. Here'a alittle story substitute the rosary for singing.
A new monk came to the Abbey, and he could sing like Pavarotti. It made very one feel bad cause they sang in the cracks, slowly but surely the monks stopped singing an lip-synced while the Pavarotti monk sang beautifully. The Divine Office became exquisite with his singing and the monks thought Our Lord must have liked it to. One afternoon one of the old little monks was sweeping in the chapel and Our Lady appeared. She asked why none of her monks were singing anymore. The old monk said they thought Jesus would be happier with the Pavarotti like monk singing. She said no Jesus as well as She liked it better when all the monks sang, even when they sang in the cracks.
tim.