rosary info
(05-30-2010, 08:45 PM)Credo Wrote:
i.p.i. Wrote:i can believe that a lot of priests didn't want the old ladies there praying.  at that time in history, more than now, men considered women to be inferior to them in all ways, and since priests are supposedly superior to other men, at least some of them would really look down on women, probably even more so because they know the parish would fall apart if the women weren't doing volunteer work and making their families come to Mass.

so to see these 'inferior' creatures who were so evidently pious would be a serious threat to them as men and as priests, who perhaps knew they didn't have as much faith as those simple, uneducated old ladies, or had to wonder if their faith was as deep.

i think a fair number of priests today don't like women, and i'm not talking about their sexual orientation. a lot of men who have sex with women all the time, playboy types, don't really like women, don't relate to them as fellow human beings.

something i read at wdtprs the other day made me think 'whoa, fr. z has a bit of a problem with women.'  otherwise i might not have had these thoughts today.

.... or these same priests have a better grasp of liturgical theology than average. Hold the psychoanalysis. Any dolt with five minutes of catechism understands people shouldn't be doing private devotional exercises at Mass or during the Office.

people prayed the Rosary during Mass because of a combination of factors:  either they couldn't hear the priest and/or couldn't understand Latin and/or had no Latin/vernacular Missal and/or couldn't read.  they were praying the best way they knew how.  but of course they were simply dolts.  ::)

Credo, back in the day, the rosary was promoted as the only devotion which could be prayed during Mass. As I've said before here the new and the trad are missing some parts. I was there. I'm not someone that found the TLM at FSSP or SSPX or whatever. I saw it up close and personal when that was the only Mass.
tim 
(05-30-2010, 09:07 PM)timoose Wrote: Credo, back in the day, the rosary was promoted as the only devotion which could be prayed during Mass. As I've said before here the new and the trad are missing some parts. I was there. I'm not someone that found the TLM at FSSP or SSPX or whatever. I saw it up close and personal when that was the only Mass.
tim 

so did i, albeit only as a protestant visitor, but i attended in two states.  i think you, gigas, and i are the only ones who can really remember the Mass before Vatican II.  i wasn't there regularly but i was there enough to know that what some young trads think went on back then is inaccurate. 

(05-30-2010, 09:07 PM)timoose Wrote: Credo, back in the day, the rosary was promoted as the only devotion which could be prayed during Mass. As I've said before here the new and the trad are missing some parts. I was there. I'm not someone that found the TLM at FSSP or SSPX or whatever. I saw it up close and personal when that was the only Mass.
tim 

This is a good discussion. Father Lasance for instance recommended a couple of other prayers as ways of hearing mass in his many books (Prayer Book for Religious and With God). These books are from the early 1900's. Here is a link for the comprehensive Prayer Book for Religious:

http://www.archive.org/details/prayerboo...00lasauoft

In the mass I attend there are some folks who still pray the rosary during mass, while the majority follow along by reading the missal.
When at a low mass on weekday, most are praying the rosary (me included)
Yes, I agree , this is a good discussion. The rosary needs to be publicized more because frankly , at least I do not hear much about it from priests.  I have to find out things and in this case , the rosary, on the internet.

I TRY to meditate because I too meander in my thoughts constantly , focusing is very difficult.  I have never been in esctasy , so I cannot relate to this state of mind or heart.  But I do try because it was one of the requirements stated by Montfort and from Our Lady to Bl. Alan. 

Very good point Timoose in re to  the council and how the rosary has been diminished.  I had sensed that myself but my belief for a while had been because of ecumenism and what would likely seem,  the lessening of the catholic church's stance of Our Lady and Her rosary ,  and how it would hinder protestants and others from entering the church. Of course, in the 40 years since,  the church's teachings have been watered down , with no benefit of real conversions.  In some catholic circles the trend was to get away from Our Lady and other circles, to get closer. The problem is that the Roman Catholic church hasn't yet reached the point of explaining to catholics in a more precise manner,  how close Our Lady is in the salvafic plan.  St. Maximilian Kolbe, if I recall, had speculated that Mary could be regarded as  the "created fourth person of the Trinity" . I believe the possibility of such a teaching might be likely in the future from the church , I hope.
St. Maximilian Kolbe, if I recall, had speculated that Mary could be regarded as  the "created fourth person of the Trinity" . I believe the possibility of such a teaching might be likely in the future from the church , I hope.

This isn't possible, because Mary is fully human, not divine. In sanctity, she's high above all the angels and saints, but still a humble creature who is far, far below God almighty in the order of hierarchy.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(05-31-2010, 08:08 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: St. Maximilian Kolbe, if I recall, had speculated that Mary could be regarded as   the "created fourth person of the Trinity" . I believe the possibility of such a teaching might be likely in the future from the church , I hope.

This isn't possible, because Mary is fully human, not divine. In sanctity, she's high above all the angels and saints, but still a humble creature who is far, far below God almighty in the order of hierarchy.

I'm sure Kolbe knew that very well.  Do you think he was over the top with zeal or just a nutcase?  He must have stated it for a reason,  I don't know, but it is an interesting piece of theology.  It kind of proves my point, in a way, that the church has hints of this type of info about Our Lady without stating it in a precise way .  Centuries of the teaching authority of the church of Our Lady , with the last dogma of The Assumption  in 1950 ,  seems like a gradual progression leading up to something . What could it be?  I don't know myself but could be tied in with Fatima.
(05-31-2010, 09:16 AM)katie Wrote:
(05-31-2010, 08:08 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: St. Maximilian Kolbe, if I recall, had speculated that Mary could be regarded as   the "created fourth person of the Trinity" . I believe the possibility of such a teaching might be likely in the future from the church , I hope.

I'm sure Kolbe knew that very well.  Do you think he was over the top with zeal or just a nutcase?  He must have stated it for a reason,  I don't know, but it is an interesting piece of theology.  It kind of proves my point, in a way, that the church has hints of this type of info about Our Lady without stating it in a precise way .  Centuries of the teaching authority of the church of Our Lady , with the last dogma of The Assumption  in 1950 ,   seems like a gradual progression leading up to something . What could it be?  I don't know myself but could be tied in with Fatima.

No, I don't think he was crazy or a fanatic. Without having seen precisely what was written in context, I'd have to presume he was just wrong on this particular point. Saints can be wrong sometimes like the rest of us.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I hear some counsel that you should pray the Rosary in a reverent manner -- kneeling at your bedside, before a religious image, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, etc. etc.  Others recommend more relaxed counsel -- pray the Rosary while walking, exercising, showering, driving, etc., etc. (even without beads).  While the former is obviously ideal, do some here find the latter lacking or even to be avoided? 
(06-02-2010, 08:03 PM)Miquelot Wrote: I hear some counsel that you should pray the Rosary in a reverent manner -- kneeling at your bedside, before a religious image, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, etc. etc.  Others recommend more relaxed counsel -- pray the Rosary while walking, exercising, showering, driving, etc., etc. (even without beads).  While the former is obviously ideal, do some here find the latter lacking or even to be avoided? 

I ALWAYS use beads when I pray the 5 decades of the Rosary... If I am home I will do it usually laying in bed or sitting with candles lit...Sometimes I pray it along with EWTN during the afternoon or evening.. However, I will ALWAYS kneel saying the Rosary at Church before mass or in a chapel.