The Trinity and the Human Body
Has anyone ever wondered at the beautiful representation of the Trinity in the life of the human body?

Consider that the body, by analogy, is likened to the One True God. In order to maintain life, this body relies upon a threefold relationship between the brain, heart, and lungs. Each system (nervous, circulatory, and respiratory) seems to represent different persons of the Trinity - the brain: the Father; the heart: the Son; the lungs: the Holy Ghost - and each relies upon each other to support the life of the human body. The heart and lungs "proceed" from the brain, are governed by its commands, and submit to its every decree. Yes, without the blood from the heart and the oxygen contained within it (provided by the lungs), the brain would cease to function. But without the brain, how could the lungs continue to provide oxygen to the blood, and how could the heart receive its instruction?

The brain is the window through which we consider God, execute the decisions of our free will, and receive messages from the conscience; the heart sends blood to the lungs to be oxygenated, pumps a continuous flow of blood and nutrients to the brain satisfying the brain's need for oxygen, and is responsible for the transportation of all nutrients required to repair all the cells of the human body (making all things new); the lungs receive the blood from the heart, fill it with fresh oxygen, and remove all dangerous carbon dioxide from the body (breathing new life into the body).

What good are the heart and lungs without the brain to organize them? What use are the brain and lungs without the heart to provide them with blood? What purpose are the brain and heart without the lungs to provide them with oxygen?

Indeed, when we make the Sign of the Cross, we touch our forehead saying: "In the name of the Father"; we touch the place of our heart saying: "and of the Son"; and then we touch both sides of our lungs saying: "and of the Holy Ghost."

When the Holy Trinity stated that He was going to make man in His image and likeness, He did indeed do just as He said:

Genesis, Chapter 2 Wrote:26 And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness...

Ad majorem Dei gloriam!
Agrippa assigned the correspondences as such:

Father:  The head, in which the Intellect grows, answering to the intellectuall world.

Son: The breast, where is the heart, the seat of life, answering to the Celestiall world.

Holy Ghost: The belly, where the faculty of generation is, and the genitall members, answering the Elemental world.

But he was an occultist, so who knows...
(04-14-2010, 06:37 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Agrippa assigned the correspondences as such:

Father:  The head, in which the Intellect grows, answering to the intellectuall world.

Son: The breast, where is the heart, the seat of life, answering to the Celestiall world.

Holy Ghost: The belly, where the faculty of generation is, and the genitall members, answering the Elemental world.

But he was an occultist, so who knows...

Haha! Well, then again, I'm a schismatic traditional Catholic, so we know that's even worse.
Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems are dependant upon all the other systems just as they are eachother.  These three don't even sit together a little higher than the others: they are all equally dependant upon eachother.  Without the digestive system to take in nutrients to be supplied to the blood stream, and waste eliminated, the blood wouldn't have anything to feed the respiratory or nervous systems in order to prevent them from breaking down.  Without the urinary system to filter out the blood of waste, the blood itself would act as a transmitter of poison to the entire body.  Without the endocrine system, the blood wouldn't be able to carry specialized hormones to different organs in order to create varied nervous responses.  Without a musculoskeletal system, there would be no heart to pump blood.  Without the lymphatic system, there would be less immunity and no interstitial fluid to carry the nutrients from the blood each individual cell of the body.  Even capillaries only go so far. 

Also, the brain technically isn't necessary for carrying blood throughout the body.  A person without any cerebrum, and possibly without any cerebellum as well, would still breathe and send blood through the body.  A common misconception about CPR is that you're trying to get someone whose heart has stopped to get going again.  That's false.  You can't restart the electrical current of the sino-atrial node by compression alone.  But the respiratory and circulatory tissues are still alive, so by rescue breathing, you're providing oxygen to the lungs.  The still living alveoli absorb the oxygen and put it into the blood.  Chest compressions are to manually pump the blood through the body so the oxygen can get to all the tissues, especially nervous tissue.  So, really, CPR is for nothing more than reducing the risk of permanent brain damage until help can arrive.

It was a nice thought, but it just doesn't pan out in reality.  It's too simplistic.
(04-15-2010, 11:23 AM)Melkite Wrote: Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems are dependant upon all the other systems just as they are eachother. 

You are completely missing the point. That food is necessary to feed these systems seems obvious.

Quote: These three don't even sit together a little higher than the others: they are all equally dependant upon eachother. 

Exactly. Maybe you should have written it for me.

Quote: Without the digestive system to take in nutrients to be supplied to the blood stream, and waste eliminated, the blood wouldn't have anything to feed the respiratory or nervous systems in order to prevent them from breaking down.  Without the urinary system to filter out the blood of waste, the blood itself would act as a transmitter of poison to the entire body.  Without the endocrine system, the blood wouldn't be able to carry specialized hormones to different organs in order to create varied nervous responses.  Without a musculoskeletal system, there would be no heart to pump blood.  Without the lymphatic system, there would be less immunity and no interstitial fluid to carry the nutrients from the blood each individual cell of the body.  Even capillaries only go so far. 

How could I have possibly overlooked these systems?

Quote:Also, the brain technically isn't necessary for carrying blood throughout the body.
I never made that claim. If someone else did, then take your post to them.

Quote:  A person without any cerebrum, and possibly without any cerebellum as well, would still breathe and send blood through the body. 
This, I know. I never stated otherwise. I said the brain controlled/dictated the other systems. This is not to say the heart can't function without a part of the brain.

Quote:A common misconception about CPR is that you're trying to get someone whose heart has stopped to get going again.  That's false. 

What does this have to do with my post?

Quote:You can't restart the electrical current of the sino-atrial node by compression alone. 

Quote: But the respiratory and circulatory tissues are still alive, so by rescue breathing, you're providing oxygen to the lungs. 

Quote: The still living alveoli absorb the oxygen and put it into the blood.  Chest compressions are to manually pump the blood through the body so the oxygen can get to all the tissues, especially nervous tissue.  So, really, CPR is for nothing more than reducing the risk of permanent brain damage until help can arrive.

Quote:It was a nice thought, but it just doesn't pan out in reality.  It's too simplistic.

It was a very nice thought, yes. Something isn't false because someone's opinion is that it is too simplistic. There is much more I wanted to say about the relationship of these systems to the body as the Mystical Body of Christ, but I did not because it was not necessary to relate my point.

If you insist on me explaining every cell in the body, I can do that, too, but it will be a very long post.