An act of God?
I notice on the news that people keep referring to an act of God when talking about the icelandic volcano, insurance payouts or covering travellers for their losses (the airlines don't want to pay out according to the generous EU rules).

I wonder if it irritates the atheist, as much as it irritates me.

If they believed in God I'd understand why they called them acts of God but otherwise please stop blaming an entity which you believe to be a fantasy or omnipotent but ignorable 99.9999999% of the rest of the time.

I think they should start calling them Acts of Evolution.  Acts of Global Warming.  Or rather acts of Climate Change.
How about Acts of Gaia?
(04-20-2010, 06:21 AM)anamchara Wrote: How about Acts of Gaia?

I like it.
(04-20-2010, 03:14 AM)ggreg Wrote: I notice on the news that people keep referring to an act of God when talking about the icelandic volcano, insurance payouts or covering travellers for their losses (the airlines don't want to pay out according to the generous EU rules).

I wonder if it irritates the atheist, as much as it irritates me.

If they believed in God I'd understand why they called them acts of God but otherwise please stop blaming an entity which you believe to be a fantasy or omnipotent but ignorable 99.9999999% of the rest of the time.

I think they should start calling them Acts of Evolution.  Acts of Global Warming.  Or rather acts of Climate Change.

It's just  a loophole phrase for insurance companies. As I recall Donald Trump referred to the financial crisis as an act of God.
It offends me too. God gives us a sunrise every day and not a few other blessings but only gets credit from the secularists when disaster strikes.

C.
Now I am confused. I was certain when the wizards which rule us spoke of god, it was always in reference to the "cosmic consciousness". It is only the environdruids which speak of gaia. In fact this is proof of our evolution from the primordial ooze, which became life, these plate tectonics are the children of that ooze. Sans Dieu, sans morale, nous sommes des dieux.
tim
(04-20-2010, 08:00 AM)Satori Wrote:

I like it.

Mother Nature, anyone?

(04-20-2010, 08:26 AM)Joamy Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 08:00 AM)Satori Wrote:

I like it.

Mother Nature, anyone?

More like MUTHUH Nature in this case.  Natural calamities like this make me wonder why so many people worship nature.  Nature strikes me as cruel, unyielding and oppressive.  Give me human reason and a transcendent God any day!
Oh, my goodness, I REMEMBER that commercial. I must have been a toddler then!
(04-20-2010, 02:53 PM)Satori Wrote: Oh, my goodness, I REMEMBER that commercial. I must have been a toddler then!

A toddler?

That makes me...  Grandpa

Sigh...
(04-20-2010, 06:33 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 02:53 PM)Satori Wrote: Oh, my goodness, I REMEMBER that commercial. I must have been a toddler then!

A toddler?

That makes me...   Grandpa

Sigh...

I know the feeling...  Grandma Grandma