Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism...
Thanks, again, for all of your responses. 

If someone could show me where a baptism by desire would cover this situation, I would be greatly obliged.  It is my understanding that a baptism by desire covers catechumens until they can be baptised in the Church, people who have never encountered the Church, and people in emergency situations.  Since none of these apply, and baptism is necessary for salvation, I am not comfortable taking a chance unless I am presented with strong evidence to the contrary. 

It is my understanding that conditional baptisms were given to all converts to the Church prior to Vatican II, so I have to admit that I'm a little confused as to why it is not better to be safe than sorry when in doubt.  It goes against everything I have learned as a Catholic to presume on God's mercy instead of being obedient to his decrees.  The only reason I am still questioning after consulting four priests is that their responses varied and had caveats...like the concept of "probably".  If a doctor told you they had "probably" gotten all the cancer out, wouldn't you seek a second opinion?  If I were your mother, daughter or best friend, would you feel comfortable telling me not to worry about it?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism... - by kmd_long - 04-20-2010, 08:45 PM