Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism...
(04-20-2010, 08:45 PM)kmd_long Wrote: Thanks, again, for all of your responses. 

If someone could show me where a baptism by desire would cover this situation, I would be greatly obliged.  It is my understanding that a baptism by desire covers catechumens until they can be baptised in the Church, people who have never encountered the Church, and people in emergency situations.  Since none of these apply, and baptism is necessary for salvation, I am not comfortable taking a chance unless I am presented with strong evidence to the contrary. 

It is my understanding that conditional baptisms were given to all converts to the Church prior to Vatican II, so I have to admit that I'm a little confused as to why it is not better to be safe than sorry when in doubt.  It goes against everything I have learned as a Catholic to presume on God's mercy instead of being obedient to his decrees.  The only reason I am still questioning after consulting four priests is that their responses varied and had caveats...like the concept of "probably".  If a doctor told you they had "probably" gotten all the cancer out, wouldn't you seek a second opinion?  If I were your mother, daughter or best friend, would you feel comfortable telling me not to worry about it?

I'm all for second (and third and fourth) opinions, but  you're going to an internet forum to get opinions from us anonymous idiots with keyboards over what a canon lawyer and 4 priests told you.  That doesn't seem prudent, especially for an opinion that one would act on.  In fact, one could act with moral certitude on opinions from pastors and canon lawyers and not be culpable for a bad choice.  There is no moral certitude on advice from the internet.

If you need more opinions, keep asking priests, but honestly it seems like you are going to ask until you get the answer "I'll conditionally baptize you" so, respectfully, I'm not sure you're asking for another opinion as much as looking for the answer you want.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism... - by Historian - 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM