Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism...
(04-20-2010, 11:25 AM)kmd_long Wrote: I'm hoping to get some sound guidance...I have been a practicing Catholic since 2001.  I was married in the Church in August of that year and confirmed in October.  When I first became a practicing Catholic, I was totally ignorant of my faith and it is only in recent years that I have become very serious about it.

My problem: I was baptised as a Presbyterian in 1978.  I never thought to question the validity of my baptism, and no one ever suggested to me that I should.  Recently though, through a very powerful homily that I was fortunate enough to listen to and some research, I came to question how I was baptised.  Through my inquiries I discovered that I was baptised by sprinkling.

So, my (multiple) quandaries: While technically, provided the water touched my scalp and moved on my head, I am told that my baptism would be valid, there is no way to guarantee that either one of those conditions were met.  I live in Southern Texas and when I told a priest that I would like to be conditionally baptised, he basically told me I had nothing to worry about in part because of Ecclesia supplet.

Needless to say, I do not feel at rest with this situation.  I would welcome your opinions on the following points:

- Am I validly baptised?
- If not, am I validly married or confirmed?
- What can I do to rectify these issues?  Particularly if I can't find a priest who will take me seriously?

Thank you for you thoughts and please pray that God will have mercy on my soul until I can get this situation resolved and that He will lead me to people who can help me.

Do not rely on Baptism of Desire as it was never instituted by Christ as a Sacrament.

If you ever make it to KY, shoot me a PM and I will personally conditionally baptize you or bring you to a priest that will do the same.

But as for your Prot baptism, consider it valid unless PROVEN otherwise.

When (if?) you were "officially" welcomed into the Catholic Church, you could have and maybe should have been conditionally baptized. If you were not and it still troubles you, PM me if you ever get to KY, then worry no more.     

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question regarding validity of Protestant Baptism... - by Stubborn - 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM