Controversial crucifix creates rift at Warr Acres,OK church
(04-20-2010, 05:38 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 05:25 PM)Tulkas Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 05:04 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 04:47 PM)Tulkas Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 04:30 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: looks like they wouldn't like the San Damiano crucifix, either:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iconsbydelphia.com/images/damianocloseup2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.iconsbydelphia.com/damianocxpage.html&usg=__uPMfr-AjOg993pJqYsd-LaZzPuY=&h=550&w=364&sz=99&hl=en&start=3&itbs=1&tbnid=SBbPiIjLhp-IyM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsan%2Bdamiano%2Bcrucifix%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

In the OP pic, I see the offending member.  In this link, I do not see it.  But for some reason, I see Yosemite Sam in the abdomen.  Honestly.

egads!  you're right.  the hat, the drooping mustaches!  this is too rich.   :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

[Image: damianocloseup2.jpg][Image: PTYO-YOSEMITE-SAM.jpg]

This is getting weird.

i'm just glad my San Damiano crucifix is a small one or i'd be seeing Yosemite Sam all the time.  it was a favorite cartoon when i was a kid but it's weird seeing him on Christ's belly.  if St. Francis had had tv, he might have thought Sam was talking to him instead of the Lord.  speaking of which, the Poor Clares had the San Damiano crucifix in their convent and St. Clare is the patron saint of television.  seriously.
:rofl:
(04-20-2010, 05:46 PM)Tulkas Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 05:38 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 05:25 PM)Tulkas Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 05:04 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 04:47 PM)Tulkas Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 04:30 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: looks like they wouldn't like the San Damiano crucifix, either:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iconsbydelphia.com/images/damianocloseup2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.iconsbydelphia.com/damianocxpage.html&usg=__uPMfr-AjOg993pJqYsd-LaZzPuY=&h=550&w=364&sz=99&hl=en&start=3&itbs=1&tbnid=SBbPiIjLhp-IyM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsan%2Bdamiano%2Bcrucifix%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

In the OP pic, I see the offending member.  In this link, I do not see it.  But for some reason, I see Yosemite Sam in the abdomen.  Honestly.

egads!  you're right.  the hat, the drooping mustaches!  this is too rich.   :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

[Image: damianocloseup2.jpg][Image: PTYO-YOSEMITE-SAM.jpg]

This is getting weird.

i'm just glad my San Damiano crucifix is a small one or i'd be seeing Yosemite Sam all the time.  it was a favorite cartoon when i was a kid but it's weird seeing him on Christ's belly.  if St. Francis had had tv, he might have thought Sam was talking to him instead of the Lord.  speaking of which, the Poor Clares had the San Damiano crucifix in their convent and St. Clare is the patron saint of television.  seriously.

:rofl:

after years of wondering why a woman who lived that long ago was chosen patron saint of tv, i finally learned the reason behind it.  she was sick once and couldn't go to Mass but miraculously saw the whole Mass played out on her wall as if it was a tv screen, though of course she didn't know about tv.  i guess she thought of it as like a painting that moved, not unusual if a crucifix can talk.  when the other sisters came back from Mass, she told them all about the sermon and other details and they were amazed. 

St. Clare is also the patron saint of embroidery, but that's not mysterious at all.  she could bilocate, though, which is.

I saw a link on this forum to an article about a documentary, The Rape of the Soul (about satanic imagery found in da Vinci, Dürer, El Greco, etc.), that had me scratching my head:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49435

Looks fruity to me. I used to be Orthodox and we have lots of icons of the crucifixion like the San Domiano and I have never seen one with "that" painted in the abdomen.
(04-20-2010, 08:33 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Looks fruity to me. I used to be Orthodox and we have lots of icons of the crucifixion like the San Domiano and I have never seen one with "that" painted in the abdomen.

look just above your post to the image with Yosemite Sam next to it.  that is the original San Damiano crucifix, which you can compare to the one in OK  back on
p. 1 of the thread and see the similarity of their abdominal areas.

you can also see that the "penis" on the abdomen looks like Yosemite Sam.

i really don't think that the cartoonist who invented Yosemite Sam intended him to be a phallic symbol.

After seeing the original, it seems clear to me that the "artist" inserted that little visual extra deliberately.  I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but I would guess that anyone with the artistic eye wouldn't do that by accident.

But, let's be charitable - maybe it was an accident.  Even if it was - take it down.  Do you want people sniggering at the crucifix?
(04-20-2010, 08:46 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 08:33 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Looks fruity to me. I used to be Orthodox and we have lots of icons of the crucifixion like the San Domiano and I have never seen one with "that" painted in the abdomen.

look just above your post to the image with Yosemite Sam next to it.  that is the original San Damiano crucifix, which you can compare to the one in OK  back on
p. 1 of the thread and see the similarity of their abdominal areas.

you can also see that the "penis" on the abdomen looks like Yosemite Sam.

i really don't think that the cartoonist who invented Yosemite Sam intended him to be a phallic symbol.

:laughing: Thats great Yosimite Sam awesome.
(04-20-2010, 01:26 PM)mike6240 Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 12:30 PM)HotRod Wrote: worthless without pics.  I dont think it was intentional.  But once you see it, you cant unsee it.  Seems jeuvenile to me.

[Image: medium.jpg]

Ummm...yikes!

Yeah, the  second the image popped up I noticed it at once.  Those who have been exposed to (no pun intended) and are used  to iconography can see the details of Christ's mid-section with no problem -  but those not used to iconography (western Catholics) will definitely see something unusual.  I find it quite unsettling and the laity in general will probably find it unsettling too.  But, then again, it's your typical novus ordo temple trying to tie themselves into knots to show everyone how inclusive they are.  How about a large, traditional Latin crucifix, circa 1912?

They should remove it.
How does it look like a penis?I've seen penises before,including mine,and it never had that sort of shape,you can easily see jesus is leaning,so his Stomach muscles would be easily visible (like my rib cage ) It is a beautiful icon and should stay put,maybe not as a altar cross (Since I believe in Statuary Crucifixes only for important areas) but this is beautiful,so full of Meanings

So to all you who don't like it I have to words to say to you : COme ON! -Peter Griffin
(04-20-2010, 08:46 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: After seeing the original, it seems clear to me that the "artist" inserted that little visual extra deliberately.  I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but I would guess that anyone with the artistic eye wouldn't do that by accident.

But, let's be charitable - maybe it was an accident.  Even if it was - take it down.  Do you want people sniggering at the crucifix?

what visual extra?  have you compared the San Damiano crucifix to the controversial one? 

the artist is going to rework it to pacify the people who see Jesus' abdominal muscles as "exaggerated genitalia."  i'd be tempted to paint a large fig leaf over it to satisfy the prudes in the parish.

here's some info from the Newsweek article:

Mark Gilmore, a local artist and friend of Janet Jaime, said it appears the iconographer put too much contrast on Jesus’ abdomen, making it appear like a penis rather than an abdomen.

"It was entirely accidental,” Gilmore said.

"She is very serious about her religion and wouldn’t in the slightest possibility ever imagine wanting to sneak a pee-pee on to Jesus.”

Gilmore, who helped Janet Jaime move the 10-foot tall crucifix out of her studio at her home near The Paseo Arts District before it was taken to the church, said it is difficult to tell while painting how contrast may appear from far away.

"She was maybe a foot away from it all the time she was painting it, and the only way you can see this is when it’s up and you’re 20 or 30 feet away, and then you get this gestalt of, ‘oh, look,’” Gilmore said.

(what we don't know from this is whether the artist or her friend who helped move the painting to the church or the pastor, all of them more familiar with Orthodox iconography than the average person, saw anything unusual about the contrast after the painting was hung.  it seems that if they had, they would have decided to take it down before parishioners saw it.  the priest said that when he showed people examples of other crucifixes in this style, they were no longer upset about the painting.) 

Texas church’s pastor praises artist’s work

Parishioners enjoy the 19 religious icons designed by Janet Jaime on display in St. Benedict’s Western Rite Orthodox Church in Wichita Falls, Texas, the church’s pastor said.

"Her work is absolutely superb, and actually getting better through the years,” said the Rev. James Rooney. "She’s a very faithful Orthodox Christian who takes seriously what the church asks her to do.”

Rooney’s church first commissioned religious icons from Janet Jaime about 10 years ago and has since ordered more.

"If anyone asked me to recommend an iconographer, I wouldn’t even mention anyone else,” Rooney said.

Rooney said he hopes the controversy surrounding the crucifix in Warr Acres "doesn’t affect her adversely, because she has got such a gift to give to the church.”

Well, i.p.i.
all I have to say is that every artist learns in basic Painting 101 that you ALWAYS look at your painting from as long a distance as possible each time you work on it.  You are even supposed to use mirrors to make sure there are no unintended images. 

That she painted from four feet away is not a credible excuse for someone of her caliber. 

IMHO.