How to convert her??
So why don't you just say that those of us who are poor had no business getting married?

I guess women who aren't all that attractive shouldn't get married, either. Or maybe the men who marry them are fools.
(04-22-2010, 05:12 PM)ggreg Wrote: I'm talking 10-20 miles from the city centre of Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco.  That is where the decent jobs are.  The sort of jobs that don't disappear in a recession.

I live 10 miles from San Francisco and there aren't as many jobs as you think, plus the cost of housing is ridiculously high. Just sayin.'

(04-22-2010, 05:45 PM)Satori Wrote: So why don't you just say that those of us who are poor had no business getting married?

I guess women who aren't all that attractive shouldn't get married, either. Or maybe the men who marry them are fools.

I wouldn't agree with that. Plenty of people get married who don't have much money. There's nothing wrong with it, but if the OP wants to promise his girlfriend some kind of fancy lifestyle, I hope he's willing and able to put his money where his mouth is.
(04-22-2010, 05:54 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:12 PM)ggreg Wrote: I'm talking 10-20 miles from the city centre of Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco.  That is where the decent jobs are.  The sort of jobs that don't disappear in a recession.

I live 10 miles from San Francisco and there aren't as many jobs as you think, plus the cost of housing is ridiculously high. Just sayin.'

(04-22-2010, 05:45 PM)Satori Wrote: So why don't you just say that those of us who are poor had no business getting married?

I wouldn't agree with that. Plenty of people get married who don't have much money. There's nothing wrong with it, but if the OP wants to promise his girlfriend some kind of fancy lifestyle, I hope he's willing and able to put his money where his mouth is.

My comment wasn't aimed at you. But it seems that no one puts as many conditions on marriage as trad Catholics, if the opinions I've read expressed on this site are any indication.
Move to San Antonio, Texas.
Houston has plenty of jobs.  Homes there are real cheap.  Less than $100/sq. ft. new.  I was looking at a house for $225K that was 2700 sq ft. or so.  Has the TLM at Dickerson.  So a good place.

Plains States are cheap to live, but don't know about job opportunities. 
Ggreg, your number are way off, or we have much different ideas of what is an acceptable home to have a family in.  There is plenty of skilled labor work to be had in the city I live in.  The city has 350,000 people in city limits and about half a million in the total metro area making it the 51st largest city in the US.  I live 7 miles outside the city in a 2200 square foot house on 4 acres, that I purchased for $190,000.  Who the heck wants to live outside Boston, NY, Chicago or San Fran?
Perhaps, I don't know the US as well as the natives.  I am only there about 5 weeks every year.

Here in the South East of England you won't get 2000 Sqft of anything for less than 600,000 USD.  From what I have seen of real estate prices in major US cities they are more or less on par.

In the end you have to cut your coat to suit your cloth, but a mistake I saw a lot of Traditionalists make when I lived over there in 1993 was moving to areas where there were no jobs and their children were not going to learn high-technology or banking or law or medicine because of a lack of opportunity.  Nothing wrong with manual work or argriculture or being a skilled labourer other than if your health goes it gets harder and harder to do and Mexicans and Poles will undercut you because their lack of perfect English is not a barrier to them welding, soldering or mixing concrete.  The best first world jobs now are about your brains, and your culture and your language.

I can only imagine that getting a decent paying job in St. Mary's Kansas today ain't easy.  When I was there people were in and out of work all the time and frankly I was shocked at how many young marriages failed.  Not all due to money I am sure, but I believe money (or lack of it) is one of the major causes of marital breakdown.  I would imagine too that a lot of people who moved to those places don't see much of their children and grandchildren because they leave for places where there are more jobs.

My attitude at 23 was that I wanted to find a way of making twice as much money as other people and only work half as hard.  That way I could have plenty of kids and give my wife and them some quality time.  I wanted to have breakfast in the morning with them, walk them to school and then work in my own time during the day and the evening.  I do most of my work when the kids have gone to bed.  I work hardest from 8pm to 10:30pm at night.  You'll notice that I don't post much then

So I went into investment banking technology because I figured that if you are working in an industry full of greedy, money hungry people who expect fat bonuses every year, then you only have to be a little less greedy and contract yourself out and people will hire you because relatively you seem "good value".  Then I deliberately picked one of the hardest things to do, that was mission critical for firms, but everyone else wanted to avoid doing, because that way I knew I'd always be in high demand and could name my own price.  So my job is hard to do, when I do it, but I don't have to do it very much to make six figures after tax.  Which is plenty.

I probably wanted to live like this because my father lived like this.  He had 9 children and a job in the Civil Service on a respectable government salary as a scientific expert on concrete.  Like a Civil Engineering Consultant.  What struck me about his job was how easy it was.  He took days off all the time, was always home by 5pm, always drove us to school.  We lived in a five bedroom house in the suburbs of London.  Mortgage was paid off by 40 years old and then he retired at 60 with a gold-plated, index linked pension for life.  That seemed to me to be a smart way to live.  To enjoy life now.

I certainly didn't want to become a city trader and leave my home at 6am every morning and flake out at the weekend from overwork and stress.  As for a lawyer - forget it.  Most of the lawyers I know work like dogs until they are 35. When I started in banking technology I knew absolutely nothing about banking and finance.  It was utter greek to me. But like anything else you soon learn the jargon.  It is not rocket science that it for sure.

It has worked so far for 18 years.  My motto is Hard work may pay off eventually, but being both smart and a little lazy always pays off now.

But, I need to be in commutable distance to the greedy people because sometimes they take you to lunch and want to have silly meetings with you and stuff.  A healthy leech has to live near animals with blood.

And by the way Hot Rod, I think 2200 feet is perfectly acceptable as a family home.  As long as it is not in Bellevue, KS or Browerville, MN or Detroit, MI.

2200 feet in say Weymouth, Mass or Orange County, CA costs $500k as far as I know.
you are right about St Mary's.  But Topeka is only 30 minutes away, and decent "city" employment can be had there.  My current plan for after the military is to get a job in or around Topeka with my Industrial security degree and 20 years experience, and commute 30-40 minutes in from out in the boonies.   

Are your salaries significantly higher to compensate for the cost of living? I make about $60,000 a year here, which is right on the median income for my town, but most likely the lowest family income in my neighborhood considering we are the only single income family I know in my area.
Mine goes up an down a little.  This year which is a busy year i will gross about $230 and net about $170.

At the beginning of 2009 I didn't do any normal work for 5 months, just training courses which pocketed me about $40k.  Next seven months I made out like a bandit because all the projects that had been delayed came through like a river breaking through a dam.  Right now making hay while the sun shines.  Who knows how long the banking system will last, but I think it is fair to say that when it finally collapses, none of us will be earning money, because they control what money is (for the moment).  What's clear is that while there is still money to bail out anyone the bankers will be first in the queue.

My cost of living, pretty much everything apart from the small mortgage and the utility bills is put on the credit card, is about $3500-$4500 a month, so I am a net saver obviously.  This means i always have a buffer zone and if I have a gap in the work, which you do, then you don't panic.  I just fix the house, or do the garden or just read stuff on the internet and keep selling.  Property tax is $3500 a year and my gas and electric are about $1200 a year each I would reckon.  Water is $600.

Groceries and supermarket sundries probably slightly under $1000 a month.

Own 3 cars, 2006 Corolla, 2000 Previa and 1993 MR2.  These are £$2000 a year in statutory costs including insurance to keep on the road.  Gas is $8 a gallon over here so I don't drive much.  Probably a total of about 15,000 a year in all three.  Maybe not even that.

Schools are free for all the children.

Dental is about $60 for a basic filling and $750 for a root canal and crown.

We employ an au-pair to help with kids (full time live-in) who costs $130 a week plus room and board.
Ggreg,
The other problem with Trad Catholics is that they think college is for only two reasons: pre-Law or priesthood.  There seems to be a scorn for Accounting or Engineering.  That is perhaps not fair, but the general view is that you should take 4 years of Liberal Arts, and then move on to engineering (another 4 years).  Might be nice if you have the money.

Anyhow, mind giving us some advise on how you made it work?  I am looking at something similar in the engineering field -- regulatory compliance.  Boring secretary crap that make me want to open my wrists, but it pays well.  And there is a glaring need for canned software that prints the forms and stores the completed forms for 5 years.  You would be surprised at how many oil companies are still run via Excel spreadsheets.  So what exactly do you provide for the banks, if you don't mind telling?  And the big question, how do you make the sale?

And for you little youngins out there (HM), I remember advise given out by Rush Limbaugh about 20 years ago.  He advised to surround yourself with positive successful people.  And to bombard successful people with questions, and ignore negative whiners.  Good advise that I have followed.