Feelings about Luther and Lutheranism
Nic Wrote:He was the cause of the great fracture in Chrisitanity that exists to this day.

In all due respect, Catholics have historically had a lot to do with creating the present situation too. Thirty Years War, anyone?
Luther liked to drink, a lot,and he was extremely paranoid (with good reason) of being assasinated.  He had an interesting and scatalogical sense of humor, was very vulgar, and not the kind of man you'd want for a Saint.  He's more like the kind of man you'd expect to fix your plumbing or drive your goods to market.

Father Malachi thougt he was possessed.
(04-21-2010, 07:15 PM)glgas Wrote:
(04-21-2010, 07:10 PM)Credo Wrote:
Baskerville Wrote:all the problems we see today regarding religion can be traced back to him.

Wow. Polytheism, hypocrite Christians, and the Eastern Schism can be traced to Fr. Luther? The above statement is a perfect example of Catholics overstating Luther's importance.

Eusebius believed that all the heresies are coming from Simon Magus.

As for the effect of the protestantism, they separated themselves from the Living Church and this made them more vulnerable to the enemies of the Church.

Amen, and exactly why Luther was a Rosicrucian (Gnostic) an Wizard more ft for the stake than a benefice.
(04-21-2010, 07:10 PM)Credo Wrote:
Baskerville Wrote:all the problems we see today regarding religion can be traced back to him.

Wow. Polytheism, hypocrite Christians, and the Eastern Schism can be traced to Fr. Luther? The above statement is a perfect example of Catholics overstating Luther's importance.

Yes once you got the once saved always saved mindset it leads to libertarianism in religion and everywhere else.
(04-21-2010, 07:10 PM)Credo Wrote: I have been taught by Jesus Christ not to make such judgements (cf. Mt. 7:1).

Oh yeah! Well my Dad can beat up your Dad. These attempts to one up everybody get tiring. But I DO follow the traditional Churches i.e. real Churches teachings that those who are heretics are damned.
(04-21-2010, 09:32 PM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote:
(04-21-2010, 09:10 PM)Nic Wrote: Credo, you must not be very familiar with Luther's writings if you can say that he wasn't mentally ill - or even a madman.  The man was obsessed with poop, speaking about it all the time!  He also held a rabid hatred for Jews, the papacy, the Mass, and deep down inside -

I heard the same thing and I read a book about him that I checked out at the library about the heretical tendencies and actions of Martin Luther... I wish I could quote that book, but  forgot the name of it.

Here are just a few  Crazybeautiful quotes by Martin Luther.

"I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist."

"I maintain that some Jew wrote it [the Book of James] who probably heard about Christian people but never encountered any."

"I myself saw and touched at Dessay, a child of this sort, which had no human parents, but had proceeded from the Devil. He was twelve years old, and, in outward form, exactly resembled ordinary children."

"I should have no compassion on these witches; I should burn them all."

"Idiots, the lame, the blind, the dumb, are men in whom the devils have established themselves: and all the physicians who heal these infirmities, as though they proceeded from natural causes, are ignorant blockheads...."

What shall we do with...the Jews? I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach on pain of loss of life and limb."

"What shall we do with...the Jews?...set fire to their synagogues or schools and bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them."

"What shall we do with...the Jews?...their homes also should be razed and destroyed."

"When I was a child there were many witches, and they bewitched both cattle and men, especially children."

"God does not work salvation for fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin vigorously.... Do not for a moment imagine that this life is the abiding place of justice; sin must be committed."

"Sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders."

Wow,you found it too.I read many of these quotes too.If he was anything but a mad man I would be certian he was the devil himself
St.Ambrose Wrote:Wow,you found it too.I read many of these quotes too.If he was anything but a mad man I would be certian he was the devil himself

I'm sorry, I don't see it. Luther's comments are pretty standard for an individual in the Early Modern Period. Madman? Hardly.
St.Ambrose Wrote:Wow,you found it too.I read many of these quotes too.If he was anything but a mad man I would be certian he was the devil himself

You could find statements like that on just about any blog or YouTube comment. He was obviously an angry man who had a great amount of education in some things and none at all in others, but those quotes alone wouldn't prove he's crazy, let alone possessed.

Personally, I see Luther as an evil proto-German nationalist.
If he was mad then he wouldn't be roasting. He was ane and in the pocket of german princes. He attacked and set about to destroy the church that's why he's in hell. He plotted it. He knew exactly what he was doing.
And for that he's
Burn baby burn.
If we doubt that then we must doubt hitler and poy pot and every single sinner ehod dies unrepentant does as well which brings u to the modernist heresy that no one is in hell. All is forgiven.
That's far far far from the truth. CHRIST spoke of hell more then heaven.
Luther is damned.
Good riddince
(04-21-2010, 07:10 PM)Credo Wrote: [I have been taught by Jesus Christ not to make such judgements (cf. Mt. 7:1).

Credo this is nonsense, and a misinterpreation of that verse.  Read the entire verse, not just the first line.  Christ is quite clear that we are not to judge in hypocracy.  "For as yea judge yea shall be judged"  This verse is thrown out all the time, and yet in the same Sermon on the Mount, Christ warned us to watch for wolves in sheeps clothing.  You think that doesn't require judgement?  If we can't judge, how can we tell them apart?  Nonsense!

It also misses tha point that WE do not judge Luther.  The Church did.  (Thank you Holy Mother) As obedient Catholics we obey the Church's judgement.  If even condemned heretics and excommunicated people are saved as often as you'd like to believe, then the Church's sentences are rendered meaningless and God becomes a lier who does not bind in heaven what was bound on earth.  Luther died condemned and unrepentant.  He did not get the last sacraments and he did not get a Catholic burial. 

Blessed Anna Marie Taigi book recounts examples where a sinner even asked for a priest, but passed away before he arrived.  Taigi viewed this as God's will, that even though they had the last minute desire,  they had presumed on God's mercy, and therefore was in hell.  She saw this in her little golden globe.