Uproar against Berlusconi receiving Holy Communion
(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Augie, baby, I scored in the 99th percentile in school, forty years ago, when they taught content. Your use of English is cumbersome and never clear, which is probably because you are double minded. Perhaps you should go to a junior college and take a course in 90's Basic English Composition until you are able to take 100's level English expository writing, before you try narrative. The key is simple declarative sentences without subordinate clauses. Try Action comics they can really help.
tim

(04-22-2010, 04:55 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Augie, baby, I scored in the 99th percentile in school, forty years ago, when they taught content. Your use of English is cumbersome and never clear, which is probably because you are double minded. Perhaps you should go to a junior college and take a course in 90's Basic English Composition until you are able to take 100's level English expository writing, before you try narrative. The key is simple declarative sentences without subordinate clauses. Try Action comics they can really help.
tim

Your desire to put words in my mouth has nothing to do with the alleged cumbersomness of my English usage.  I never said, for example, that I would want to push you down the stairs in a wheelchair.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time of it, but you're not being very constructive.  If I didn't know better, I'd think you knew me personally and had some kind of beef completely apart from this medium.

Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.
(04-22-2010, 04:03 PM)maso Wrote: Of course Berlusconi was and probably will be again an object of scandal bcs even if he is currently repenting, he is weak as we ourselves are and will fall again in sin.
But he has my sympathy bcs he is an fierce anti-commie, he fights abortion and euthanasia, he doesn't support the homosexuality and he hates the politically speakers. I remember that he recently challenged an European ruling forbidding the crucifixes in the public places and schools.
We Catholics are a bit hypocrites. In fact Berlusconi's scandal may be well compared to that of Louis XIV and his many mistresses. The fact didn't  hinder that Louis XIV was surnamed by the actual Pope: "Le Roi très Chrétien".
On the end of his life Louis was admonished by his spiritual director, he repented and led a pious and austere  life under the oversight of his new wife (legitime marriage since he was widow)  Mrs de Maintenon.
Let's pray that Berlusconi will end in the same way.

The entire P-2 scandal with the Banco Ambrosiano is something with which he was implicated.  It was something conceived and executed to keep the communists in Italy from gaining power and building a government.

Wordly princes not holding completely to Catholic moral teaching is nothing new, but the fact is that Berlusconi hasn't apologized for his past behavior, he's asked instead for a pass.

His being a public figure as well as someone who derives considerable political benefit from his alliance to the Catholic Church should elicit a public statmeent of some sort to defray the hostillity so many Italians feel at his hypocrisy, something they've grown accustomed to seeing from him in the past.
(04-22-2010, 05:07 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
tim

(04-22-2010, 04:55 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
tim

Your desire to put words in my mouth has nothing to do with the alleged cumbersomness of my English usage.  I never said, for example, that I would want to push you down the stairs in a wheelchair.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time of it, but you're not being very constructive.  If I didn't know better, I'd think you knew me personally and had some kind of beef completely apart from this medium.

Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.

Berlusconi has been criticized by other priests as causing a scandal:

The Telegraph Wrote:London, Apr 22 (ANI): The Catholic church has accused Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi of committing "sacrilege" by taking communion despite having divorced his first wife and being on the verge of second divorce.

The Roman Catholic Church prohibits divorcees who remarry from taking communion.

However, Berlusconi was accorded the privilege at the funeral of a well-known Italian television celebrity in Milan.

But, the leverage for the Italian premier has set off a heated debate between Catholic figures across Italy, with a priest in Genoa calling it a scandal.

"Berlusconi has committed sacrilege in the light of the fact that he is divorced and is in the process of getting divorced again," the Telegraph quoted Father Paolo Farinella as saying.

He accused the Church of making one rule for the rich and famous and another for ordinary Catholics.

A former bishop from the southern region of Puglia, Monsignor Giuseppe Casale, said the 73-year-old premier should not be permitted to take communion because he had shown himself not to be "coherently Christian" with his behaviour.

Not only are Italian priests criticizing hiim, but others are wondering about his behavior as well.  It wouldn't be too much to expect a public statement and some demonstration of contrition to the people who are scandalized by this.

The most positive thing that's been said so far is that a Bishop hopes that Berlusconi would be in a state of sanctifying grace....
(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Augie, baby, I scored in the 99th percentile in school, forty years ago, when they taught content. Your use of English is cumbersome and never clear, which is probably because you are double minded. Perhaps you should go to a junior college and take a course in 90's Basic English Composition until you are able to take 100's level English expository writing, before you try narrative. The key is simple declarative sentences without subordinate clauses.

Henry James does not agree with this.

(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Try Action comics they can really help.
tim

I find it quite ironic that you made a serious writing error in a sentence that you wrote to criticize the writing of another.
(04-22-2010, 05:34 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Augie, baby, I scored in the 99th percentile in school, forty years ago, when they taught content. Your use of English is cumbersome and never clear, which is probably because you are double minded. Perhaps you should go to a junior college and take a course in 90's Basic English Composition until you are able to take 100's level English expository writing, before you try narrative. The key is simple declarative sentences without subordinate clauses.

Henry James does not agree with this.

(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Try Action comics they can really help.
tim

I find it quite ironic that you made a serious writing error in a sentence that you wrote to criticize the writing of another.

Thank you very much.  I probably shouldn't interpret your comments as a defense of my person, but I just want to talk about this issue of Berlusconi.

Quite apart from the fact that the man has long been a cynical if occasionally beneficial presence in the Catholic world, this is a scandal which either he or the Church should more effectively and directly address. 

If he were a private person, he'd have every right to privacy in this, but as a public sinner, and a man who's made some statements in the past about 'relaxing the rules' I thought it might be a good idea to address this in a very public way.
(04-22-2010, 05:07 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.

perhaps you missed the beginning of this episode:

Quote from: timoose
Hey, Augie, baby, I'd be careful with Herry, he ain't disabled like me and i.p.i. He is quite capable of knocking you out with a punch, and oh, by the way your hatred is showing again.
tim, you remember in the wheel chair and you pushing it down the stairs ?

Quote from Augie:
Uh, huh.  All three of you have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension.

Augie said that Tim, Herr Mannelig and I "have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension," clearly an insult.

That insult was amusing to Tim because of his test scores and amusing to me, too, because Tim and I are the same age and both scored in the 99th percentile on standardized tests.  We have no problems with reading comprehension.  It must have been because we grew up before Vatican II.

Calumny and detraction are greater sins than needling someone about their usage of the English language.

(04-22-2010, 05:41 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:07 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.

Hey, Augie, baby, I'd be careful with Herry, he ain't disabled like me and i.p.i. He is quite capable of knocking you out with a punch, and oh, by the way your hatred is showing again.

Quote from Augie:
Uh, huh.  All three of you have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension.

Augie said that Tim, Herr Mannelig and I "have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension," clearly an insult.

That insult was amusing to Tim because of his test scores and amusing to me, too, because Tim and I are the same age and both scored in the 99th percentile on standardized tests.  We have no problems with reading comprehension.  It must have been because we grew up before Vatican II.

Calumny and detraction are greater sins than needling someone about their usage of the English language.

So, am I correct in stating that two wrongs make a right?

Just because someone insults one doesn't give one a license to do it right back. Show him the other cheek for him to strike instead. You are humbling yourself while God is heaping coals of fire on his head.
Yeah, the thread is about Silvio Berlusconi.  Open another thread if you want to talk about me.
(04-22-2010, 05:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

Quote from Augie:

Just because someone insults one doesn't give one a license to do it right back. Show him the other cheek for him to strike instead. You are humbling yourself while God is heaping coals of fire on his head.

I did not insult anyone. 

(04-22-2010, 06:31 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

Quote from Augie:

I did not insult anyone. 

I know you didn't. My response was to the people who were. My use of the word "you" was very liberal, and I apologize.