Uproar against Berlusconi receiving Holy Communion
(04-22-2010, 06:33 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 06:31 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:41 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:07 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.

perhaps you missed the beginning of this episode:

Quote from: timoose
Hey, Augie, baby, I'd be careful with Herry, he ain't disabled like me and i.p.i. He is quite capable of knocking you out with a punch, and oh, by the way your hatred is showing again.
tim, you remember in the wheel chair and you pushing it down the stairs ?

Quote from Augie:
Uh, huh.  All three of you have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension.

Augie said that Tim, Herr Mannelig and I "have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension," clearly an insult.

That insult was amusing to Tim because of his test scores and amusing to me, too, because Tim and I are the same age and both scored in the 99th percentile on standardized tests.  We have no problems with reading comprehension.  It must have been because we grew up before Vatican II.

Calumny and detraction are greater sins than needling someone about their usage of the English language.

So, am I correct in stating that two wrongs make a right?

Just because someone insults one doesn't give one a license to do it right back. Show him the other cheek for him to strike instead. You are humbling yourself while God is heaping coals of fire on his head.

I did not insult anyone. 

I know you didn't. My response was to the people who were. My use of the word "you" was very liberal, and I apologize.

thanks for the apology, glad you realized i didn't insult anyone.  all's well.

(04-22-2010, 06:43 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 06:33 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 06:31 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:41 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:07 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Is this sort of quibbling really going bring us closer to our last end? I do this sort of nonsense too sometimes, but it's really not very productive and sets a less than good example for all those on the internet who could be reading our posts. Needlessly criticizing each other's English and lauding our test scores over one another is a bit childish. Come on, guys. This is Fisheaters! This isn't CatholicAnswers forum.

perhaps you missed the beginning of this episode:

Quote from: timoose
Hey, Augie, baby, I'd be careful with Herry, he ain't disabled like me and i.p.i. He is quite capable of knocking you out with a punch, and oh, by the way your hatred is showing again.
tim, you remember in the wheel chair and you pushing it down the stairs ?

Quote from Augie:
Uh, huh.  All three of you have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension.

Augie said that Tim, Herr Mannelig and I "have a singular difficulty with reading comprehension," clearly an insult.

That insult was amusing to Tim because of his test scores and amusing to me, too, because Tim and I are the same age and both scored in the 99th percentile on standardized tests.  We have no problems with reading comprehension.  It must have been because we grew up before Vatican II.

Calumny and detraction are greater sins than needling someone about their usage of the English language.

So, am I correct in stating that two wrongs make a right?

Just because someone insults one doesn't give one a license to do it right back. Show him the other cheek for him to strike instead. You are humbling yourself while God is heaping coals of fire on his head.

I did not insult anyone. 

I know you didn't. My response was to the people who were. My use of the word "you" was very liberal, and I apologize.

thanks for the apology, glad you realized i didn't insult anyone.  all's well.

No problem. I realize that my writing is sometimes confusing. I just don't like to see people flinging childish insults or fighting for absolutely no reason. It creates stress where no stress is needed and makes us look like a bunch of angry fools to the world. Don't get me wrong: we have the truth and the truth is worth fighting for, but sometimes we just need to agree to disagree.

I understand this issue is a little sensitive, and I'm not saying there shouldn't be rational discussion about it, but calling people's intelligence into question, asserting one's intellectual superiority, and other such silliness only manages to harm our spiritual lives.

I know that you weren't the one fighting, but you responded to my comment that was addressed to the posters who were engaging in the usual angry words toward each other. Since you responded, I was defending what I said. Unfortunately, I used the word "you" in a hypothetical sense and you took it literally. I figured the anonymous first sentence would indicate that the following was hypothetical, but I didn't communicate it well enough and that is my fault. I apologize for that.
(04-22-2010, 03:22 PM)timoose Wrote: Augie, baby, I scored in the 99th percentile in school, forty years ago, when they taught content. Your use of English is cumbersome and never clear, which is probably because you are double minded. Perhaps you should go to a junior college and take a course in 90's Basic English Composition until you are able to take 100's level English expository writing, before you try narrative. The key is simple declarative sentences without subordinate clauses. Try Action comics they can really help.
tim

you are just being mean.
Better Berlusconi than Pelosi.
(04-23-2010, 08:51 AM)ggreg Wrote: Better Berlusconi than Pelosi.

He's like Henry VIII in the sene that he can give an impssionaed and powerfuly eloquent defense of the Papacy one moment and attack her ruthlessly the next.  I look foward to seeing hat this man ca do in the future. He might own most of the Italian medi, but he's got more culture and nobility in his soul than any Aamerican politician now living I can think of..
(04-22-2010, 05:56 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Yeah, the thread is about Silvio Berlusconi.  Open another thread if you want to talk about me.

It seems to be more about your blog.

This discussion on the man is what is interesting, not just a blog post with a video and saying it is "controversial".
(04-23-2010, 12:05 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 05:56 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Yeah, the thread is about Silvio Berlusconi.  Open another thread if you want to talk about me.

It seems to be more about your blog.

This discussion on the man is what is interesting, not just a blog post with a video and saying it is "controversial".

*Seems*, yes, well this seems to e a waste of my time.  I'm talking about Berlusconi who to date hasn't offered any kind of explnation for wat seems to be more apolitical gesture than a sincere one out of religious devotion.  Berlusconi has a hbit of doing things for political advantage, it's how he's survivd in politics, so t might behoove him to explain himself a little more clearly, especially since he's been quoted in the past as saying that he feels a special allowance should be made for him.

Te first thing it would be nice to see him do is repudiate his membership i the Masonc Lodge.  As fr as I know, he still hasn' done that.
There's nothing new under the sun, really.

Mr. Berlusconi is doing what other politicians and even many christian princes have done in the past: he's using religion for his own advantage and for his own legitimacy in the public eye.

There are many more politicians worse than Berlusconi, that much is certain. Perhaps he's the best we can hope for in this current day. It's just a shame that there aren't many who are better. Let's pray and do penance so that God can grant us better politicians and better churchmen.