The Luminous Mysteries ? JP2
(04-22-2010, 10:39 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: *Supposedly Cardinal Arinze knew something was wrong when he attended a solemn high mass where the Gospel, solemnly intoned, began, "In illo tempore, dicite Iesus, Viiiiiiiiiirrrrr..." (Literally: At that time Jesus said: Duuuuuuuuude.")

thanks for the laughs.  the whole thing was funny but i snipped most of it to save space. also, Jesus saying "Duuuuuuddde" is funny and reminds me of posters back in the Sixties that had the typical Protestant Jesus picture with the words "You guys can wear your hair as long as you like." 

i suggest that if Brevis Vir comes back, we all say "Viiiiiirrrrrrrr, where you been?"

Why did John Paul II make the change? In his encyclical, he said:

"I believe, however, that to bring out fully the Christological depth of the Rosary it would be suitable to make an addition to the traditional pattern, etc...

"Consequently, for the Rosary to become more fully a “compendium of the Gospel”, it is fitting to add, etc."

"This addition of these new mysteries, without prejudice to any essential aspect of the prayer's traditional format, is meant to give it fresh life and to enkindle renewed interest in the Rosary's place within Christian spirituality as a true doorway to the depths of the Heart of Christ, ocean of joy and of light, of suffering and of glory."

Rolling eyes

There you have it in his own words. He thought he could improve on Mary's Rosary. Certainly, the rosary Mary gave us was pretty good and all, but  this is the 21st century don't you know, and that old thing was getting a little stale. It needed freshening up, and besides it was a little shallow when it came to Christ.

I like the Angry Mysteries idea. Brilliant. I think I'll work on the Lugubrious Mysteries.
(04-22-2010, 02:29 PM)Chris87 Wrote: How was the Rosary said before he made the change ? And I guess that most hear say the Traditional Rosary ?

The way it's always been said:

1 Pater, 10 Aves, and 1 Gloria make up a decade. Throw in a pious ejaculation for good measure, why not the "Oh my Jesus, etc" since Our Lady asked for it.
There are 15 decades in the rosary and a mystery for each decade.
There are optional introductory and concluding prayers. Say them if you want.

Say them fast or say them slow, say them kneeling or on the go. Just don't forget to say them.

[/quote]
Say them fast or say them slow, say them kneeling or on the go. Just don't forget to say them.
[/quote]
;D

Thanks everyone for your opinions and input.
The Rosary is about the furthest thing possible from being set in stone. Never was, never was meant to be. It grows, always has. Is the Fatima Prayer a break from tradition? It's roses to Mary.

When he was younger, before he became a dodgy pope, JP2 met a bloke who was personally saying the "luminous mysteries" (now a saint) and liked it because it filled in some gaps in the story of the Rosary (which is meant to be about meditating on Christ after all) and so many years later he took the bold step of giving his papal stamp of approval to them. No big deal really. No diabolical plot... just a genuine enrichment of the Rosary from a man who genuinely loved Mary and understood her better than most.

You can say it's wrong (or unadvisable or whatever) to pray the luminous mysteries, but you can't say there's anything wrong with them. Do it as a private devotion if you like, and stay silent about whether or not they're soul-endangering. Because of course they aren't. They came out of love for Mary and Christ. There's no "trick" in them.
The three original sets of mysteries are indulgenced in the Raccolta.  The new luminous mysteries are not.  THerefore, by adding this set, it "dilutes" the amount of indulgences a person receives because the luminous mysteries take up a couple days that would otherwise be used praying indulgenced portions of the rosary.  The indulgences that the Holy Souls receive when the Rosary is prayed for that intention are so beneficial - it is unfortunate to have done this in order to be more "Christological."  Our Lady and the Rosary already was Christ centered and oriented - she always leads us to her Son.....I have never prayed those "mysteries."
(04-22-2010, 10:55 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Since I have trouble with anger I came up with the Angry Mysteries...I came up with a couple of them...

1. Jesus expels the money changers from the temple
2. Peter cuts the ear off the guard.

I think some others had some other ideas for the Angry Mysteries  LOL

Other mysteries to include are Jesus confronts the accusers wanting to stone the adulteress, Jesus confront Peter's demand to take the Kingdom ("Satan get behind Me!"), and Jesus's betrayal by Judas.
I have yet to actually pray the Luminous Mysteries. If I ever do it will be as a separate chaplet and I will not consider it to be my rosary for the day.
(04-22-2010, 10:55 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Since I have trouble with anger I came up with the Angry Mysteries...I came up with a couple of them...

1. Jesus expels the money changers from the temple
2. Peter cuts the ear off the guard.

I think some others had some other ideas for the Angry Mysteries  LOL

3. Days of Darkness.
4. Jesus calls the Pharisees whited scepulcres.
5. Rome is destroyed and the Pope flees over the bodies of dead clergy.
It should be noted that even Pope Paul VI, another Pope who had a disastrous Papacy, refused to alter the Rosary in any way, when he was encouraged to do so (though I believe Scott Hahn came up with his own "Evangelical Mysteries.")

I concur with many of the sentiments expressed here: if the Luminous Mysteries had been promoted as a separate chaplet by Pope JP II, I don't think many Traditionalists would have had a problem with it. The reason why the Rosary was de facto "set in stone" and no previous Pope even thought of altering it, and even if no official Papal or Church proclamation rendered it such, was that it corresponded to the 150 Psalms, which the addition of the Luminous Mysteries throws out of whack. It may be optional, but its promoted as mandatory; as proof, EWTN says the Luminous Mysteries on Thursdays, and Joyful Mysteries on Saturdays (but then again, that has become the Pope John Paul II 'The Magnificent' Network. )

Gerard as usual, hit the nail on the head. This is yet another reason why I see the Papacy of John Paul II as disastrous, with his constant need to have been the center of attention in one way or another, which probably stems in part due to his background as an actor.

In addition to what Gerard said, I can add he came damn close to, if not outright, endorsing Universalism, and his Apostolic Letter saying the husbands and wives should be mutually submissive to one another, is both ridiculous and contrary to both Scripture and Tradition.