Saints that are not on the Calender
(04-23-2010, 12:19 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: Ketchum - no, it's not alright. You'll go to Hell if you do!

Just kidding. St Philomena is not on the Calendar anymore and I know plenty of people who celebrate her feast day. 

For personal devotions, there is no sense in restraining yourself with imaginary rubrics.

xD I got so scared when I read the first sentence

LOL
I'm of Cornish heritage and I like St. Piran. Try to find him on any calendar.
what is he the patron saint of and what is his story? (:
http://www.st-piran.com/st-piran.htm
For the personal devotions of laity, there would be no problem reciting the Office for a saint who is not on the calendar or doing some other set of prayers for this purpose.

Assuming 1960 Rubrics, on any IV Class Feria a priest may say the Mass of the preceding Sunday, any Votive Mass in the Missal or may celebrate a Votive Mass in honor of any Saint or Blessed in the Roman Martyrology (or other approved Martyrology). On a III Class feast, a priest could commemorate such a un-scheduled Saint or Blessed at Low Mass. Formerly a Blessed's cult could only be followed in a localized area, but I'm nearly certain this is no longer the case (or at least all new Blesseds are extended to the Universal Church). This would seem to include those Canonized and Beatified in the last 50 years as well.

Since current Liturgical Law indicates that presently two calendars are approved for universal usage in the Latin Church, those who follow the 1962 Calendar would not seem to be permitted to substitute the dates of new feasts into the older calendar, but perhaps could celebrate those Saints on a feria of their choosing as Votive Masses.

A priest is not permitted licitly to say a "Votive" Office, though, if he says any Office, it fulfills the requirement to say the Office daily. It would be a venial sin for a priest to intentionally say the incorrect office.
MagisterMusicae Wrote:A priest is not permitted licitly to say a "Votive" Office, though, if he says any Office, it fulfills the requirement to say the Office daily. It would be a venial sin for a priest to intentionally say the incorrect office.

It's been a while since I read the rubrics for the Liturgy of the Hours, but I do think the current office allows "votive office's" on ferial days if the saint is commerated in the Martyrology selection of the day. I think it's the same principle behind allowing the "Office for the Dead" to replace the day's proper office during Tempus Per Annum.
so  if I wanted to on a feria day I could celebrate the office of st.Mary Magdalene?
As far as I know, such permission only allows for celebrations when that saint is mentioned in the Martyrology reading of the day. It may be Mary Magdalene has an additional day in the Martyrology besides her major feast day in the summertime. Look it up.